Thread: Tuba Ensemble World Record Attempt

Tuba Ensemble World Record Attempt

Earlier this year, a few like minded individuals got together on Facebook and created the Bass Players Union where we discuss matters of interest to bass players. The group has grown in size and once we had finished discussing beer and mouthpieces, we got onto other tuba related matters. I happened to drop into the conversation that the current world record for a tuba ensemble is 502 players, and given the number of bands in the UK we should be able to beat that.What started as an off the cuff remark met with approval from the group and I went off and registered our intention with the Guinness World Records committee and our challenge has been accepted.*What I now need is players, the date for the attempt is yet to be set and a venue identified, but at this stage it would be great to get an idea of who is up for this. I intend to get the media involved and it would be great to link this in with a major charity. I am Oslo open to suggestions for locations, but bear in mind that we could have participants from all ends of the country so travelling needs to be born in mind.So, if you are a bass player or fancy a crack at setting a new world record, then please drop me a line at doublebtyke@o2.co.uk or join the Facebook group Bass Players Union and post on the thread.For what we intend to unleash, somebody please forgive us!Pete Scott

tMP Master Friend
    Sounds like utter carnage to me !!!!

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Well, you'll OBVOUSLY need a world premiere of a commission to mark such an auspicious event!
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Carnage is probably an understatement Ian.

The current record is for playing 15 Christmas Carols, we're hoping for something more spectacular than that. The rules about the music are fairly specific, I can send them out if you like, but I'm fairly sure a new piece would be ok as long as the length is more than 5 minutes and the music is of sufficiently high standard, the little F and G march is probably not going to work. A restoring of 1812 has been mentioned!

Pete Scott

the late Malcolm Bale did some interesting arrangements for low brass ensemble, but they included the runts of the tuba family (baritones and euphoniums), don't know if they would count for this sort of venture

tMP Friend in Training Ozzielover's Avatar
    Hey Toxophile, i know nothing about the Bass Players Union,but would like to, as i am all about a bit osf Bassesism!
    and if i can be counted in on the guinness world record attempt please let me know,
    as i can gather a few more like minded bass players too i am sure!
    x

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbirch View Post
    the late Malcolm Bale did some interesting arrangements for low brass ensemble, but they included the runts of the tuba family (baritones and euphoniums), don't know if they would count for this sort of venture
    Maurice Bale?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    Maurice Bale?
    yes of course, sorry for the mistake