Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A bit of a weird one..

tMP Friend in Training KernowSop's Avatar

A bit of a weird one..

How do you go about finding a composer for a piece of music, or an arranger if necessary?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Cut me in half and a pasty will fall out (and not one of those Ginster things!!) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KernowSop View Post
    How do you go about finding a composer for a piece of music, or an arranger if necessary?

Just find someone you like and ask them... like me :P

Or someone you've never met - like me
    HUW
    Flowers

and me...?
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Start a thread on themouthpiece?
    Derek Hall

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Seems you've answered your own question!

There's a lot of composers and arrangers are regulars on here. Even a Mr Sparke, who by all accounts is rather better than average....
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

And the rest of us are cheap
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

tMP Friend in Training
    I only charge £20,000 per musical minute
    "Bass trombone a touch OTT in places....."

Gareth Davis BMus (Hons) PGCE

Composer/Arranger/Bass Trombone - Hammonds Saltaire Band - Back in the Open!

tMP Friend in Training KernowSop's Avatar
    Cassanova, I think you are a bit out of my price range.

Thank you for the replies. What sort of thing would you expect to be asked, to undertake a composition? I'm not sure whether I am looking for an arrangement of a popular piece of music (probably not arranged for brass before) or an entirly new composition.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Cut me in half and a pasty will fall out (and not one of those Ginster things!!) :-)

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    You could browse the list on IBEW, and then see if you marry up those names with tMP users names.

There is a wealth of genius on here in terms of arranging and composing. Anyone who really wants your custom will have their real name (and probably that they compose and/or arrange) in their siggy why not Google them and see which websites their works are already on?

I'm less subtle than some of the others. I have a link in my siggy.

Good luck - and when you have the piece you want, remember to come back to this thread to give the composer/arranger some free publicity.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    The questions that I ask, or that I know to have been asked are:

1. What type of piece are you looking for. Arrangement? Solo? Concert Feature? Hymn setting? Major Work? Fantasy? Centenary related etc? (Chances are, if it's an arrangement, I will point you towards King Andi of 13 Ball)
    2. The cost will be £xx or £xxx or £xxxx - who will be paying this? (Possibly - Will you pay a non refundable deposit of £xx/3? Prevents time wasters)
    3. What level of difficulty is requred? Note - most composers will write for "Brass Band" rather than "a particular Brass Band" - even when under commission.
    4. How much post composition involvement do you want? For commissions, I like to visit the band at least once to hear how the piece comes off the paper, and to make any last minute tweaks. Reprinted parts cost no more at this point.
    5. Back to arrangements -Are you SURE this hasn't been done before? I'd ask Brassneck, 'cos he probably knows.
    6. (For me, the most important question) When do you need it? If it's your band's centenary next month, for example, you're about 15 months too late.

There will be more questions as the piece is written, depending on progress.
    Last edited by Will the Sec; 25.07.2012 at 13:53. Reason: Formatting
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Contact us at KMJ Recordings - we work with a large group of composers/arrangers and can put you in contact with someone who will be able to help!

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

Cassanova, I think you are a bit out of my price range.

Thank you for the replies. What sort of thing would you expect to be asked, to undertake a composition? I'm not sure whether I am looking for an arrangement of a popular piece of music (probably not arranged for brass before) or an entirly new composition.

Don't mean a pop song do you?

My new video's here by the way if your looking in the future, although still studying composition (at Chetham's) so the pieces get better as they go along generally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Tgf...e=results_main

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec View Post
    1. What type of piece are you looking for. Arrangement? Solo? Concert Feature? Hymn setting? Major Work? Fantasy? Centenary related etc? (Chances are, if it's an arrangement, I will point you towards King Andi of 13 Ball)
    Gawsh - Thanks Will!

Seriously consider all of Will's points though. He's talking sense. (And he's no slouch on the ol' sibelius himself...)

The other thing to consider is that a new comission of an original piece won't incur a copyright license fee from the copyright holders - whereas an arrangement of an existing piece is quite likely to, unless the composer died a good long while ago. (70 years, give or take.)

Either way, there'll be someone on here can help you.

Good luck with your project.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast