Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brass Band Registry taking industrial action against BFBB

Brass Band Registry taking industrial action against BFBB

Just heard about this, does anyone know what it is all about?
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    Just heard about this, does anyone know what it is all about?
    I've received an email from BBBR today, which I presume has been sent to all bands. It does sound rather serious, but hopefully something will be sorted soon.
    ("Bands concerned about imminent contests will need to contact the relevant Contest organisers." ) I'm sure I'm not the only person that's going to be contacting the organisers of the National Finals tomorrow to see what they say.

<sigh> Its all so ******.... amateurish. And unecessary. I don't know the ins and outs, but again it seems we have two of the movement's governing bodies fighting amongst themselves. I thought the BBBR was run by the BFBB?
    Ian Hayto | Flugel | Enderby Band

tMP Friend in Training
    A full story and copy of the letter emailed to bands is now at www.all4brass.com

OMG!

Received the email this evening - thank God I don't have a lot of registrations to sort out before the Nationals!

Time for some answers - EGM of the BFBB should be called so that member bands can be told exactly what is going on.

Surely we cannot let this turn into a lengthy legal dispute which puts money in the pockets of solicitors/barristers and takes it out of the pockets of the brass band movement.

How will this affect future funding of the BFBB? - it could be a total disaster!
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)
    AW Parker (Drybrook) Band

tMP Friend in Training bigman_holland's Avatar
    I was just about to send off our reg cards this week for getting re stampped. Does this mean they wont get done? Its not that important, as our next contest isnt till october. Any advice?

tMP Prime Friend bassinthebathroom's Avatar
    Perhaps this will eventually lead to the end of this restrictive and frankly arcane system! It does seem that the BFBB are behaving in a very unprofessional way though, but I'm sure we will hear the flip side of the story from them soon!
    Iain McKnight
    Eb Bass/Chairman - Leyland Band (website) (Facebook)
    (Current vacancies: solo cornet, tuned percussion)
    Co-Musical Director - Lostock Hall Memorial Band (website) (Facebook)
    (Current vacancies: solo cornet, trombone, kit percussion)

tMP Senior Friend
    Well said Iain - anything that leads to the end of the registration nonsense has to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman_holland View Post
    I was just about to send off our reg cards this week for getting re stampped. Does this mean they wont get done? Its not that important, as our next contest isnt till october. Any advice?
    Keep hold of them until this is resolved - once you have sent them off you have lost control of what happens to them next! At least you have some time until you need them re-stamped.
    Eb Bass (formerly Solo Horn, Euphonium, Solo Baritone, 2nd Cornet and anywhere else there is a gap)
    AW Parker (Drybrook) Band

tMP Senior Friend
    For contest promoters, this is easy - simply suspend the requirement for registration until this dispute has been settled and then think long and hard about whether to bring it back!

tMP Friend
    So what is the general view on registration then? Would a play with one band on a day rule be sufficient without the effort of registering and transferring. Or do bands view registration more as "ownership" of a player?
    Chris Hatch - Soprano - Pendeen Band - Like Us On Facebook - Follow Us On Twitter
    Available for depping in West / Mid Cornwall on sop or Bb cornet.
    Affordable website design from Zedoary.
    Pendeen Band are recruiting - cornets, 2nd baritone, and BBb bass + all others welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHatch View Post
    So what is the general view on registration then? Would a play with one band on a day rule be sufficient without the effort of registering and transferring. Or do bands view registration more as "ownership" of a player?
    Interesting question Chris, and one that's been discussed at length here, most recently in THIS thread.
    I think its probably best to keep this thread for news & updates on the current issue with the Registry.
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodenFlugel View Post
    <sigh> Its all so ******.... amateurish. And unecessary. I don't know the ins and outs, but again it seems we have two of the movement's governing bodies fighting amongst themselves. I thought the BBBR was run by the BFBB?
    Having been unfortunately involved in personnel disputes professionally and understanding the difficult position employers are put in legally in the modern world I struggle to understand why the BFBB is being flippantly termed unprofessional or amateurish by correspondents on this site.

This is another of those stories where only one side has been given so far and concusions drawn therefrom by those who live in a simplistic black and white world with no shades of grey (of which those literary experts will know there are at least 50!!)

It is sad that as usual when issues occur in banding and throughout life, one of the parties involved feels it necessary to stir up bad press all round rather than be big enough to sort out their problems and reach sensible compromises....oh well, it gives the media something to talk about for the slow summer weeks!
    Hadrian Walters

I don't believe the Registry are stirring anything - all they've done is let contest secretaries know we're not going to be getting our cards processed for a while, and offer an explanation. Better to have done that that leave us all in the dark imho.

Best advice at the moment is not to send anything into the BBBR for now, and if you have any registration issues for specific contests (including the finals) then contact the organisrs direct.
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
    I don't believe the Registry are stirring anything - all they've done is let contest secretaries know we're not going to be getting our cards processed for a while, and offer an explanation. Better to have done that that leave us all in the dark imho.

Best advice at the moment is not to send anything into the BBBR for now, and if you have any registration issues for specific contests (including the finals) then contact the organisrs direct.
    I totally agree Alex, I think they're only being fair by letting us know the situation. I did contact Phillip Morris from Kapitol as I need to send a transfer request ready for the Finals, and received a reply this morning saying
    "Just use the registry as normal for the moment. If the problem persists I will contact all the bands and let them know what to do"

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast