Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Grimethorpe Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniels Ears View Post
    I didn't see them at all! So much for the big announcement to launch on a global scale!!
    Personally I think itís a big shame for bands generally that Grimey didnít get seen, (well I donít think they did, I fell asleep for a big chunk of it when that Tory p*@#k Seb Coe made his no doubt thrilling speech) Well, why have quality live music, when you can have some gash performance of Abide With Me by someone irrelevant before exhuming Paul McCartney and injecting him with Performance Enhancing drugs so he could bumble his way through Hey Jude!!! The poor old fella's so knackered; he looked more legless than his ex wife up there!!

tMP Master Friend
    You lot can stop holding your breath now !Global scale m 4rse !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianroberts View Post
    You lot can stop holding your breath now !Global scale m 4rse !!
    and how many people will hear your next performance?
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    and how many people will hear your next performance?
    wasnt it in the press release some where that the world will know of Grimethorp ?

as for my next performance mate, if you want to come you can pay like every one else !!

tMP Senior Friend Bob Sherunkle's Avatar
    Dear Brass Band fans

On a brighter note, I hope you did see the Pearly B Band on the march in the stadium, resplendent in our pearly threads.

Unfortunately we did not have our instruments which "mysteriously" went missing between us warming up and the show starting. We were told by the organisers that complaints had been received from the RSPCA because we were frightening the sheep but we strongly suspect that the grimey lads hid them as there was coal dust in our dressing room.

I saw that Andrew Bannister on his phone and then sniggering to himself so you can draw your own conclusions about the origin of any complaints. They weren't even real sheep, they were East End orphans wrapped in rugs.

As luck would have it, the cameraman responsible for filming Grimethorpe owed a favour to our trombonist, Arthur "Violent" Scrote, and so after a word in his one remaining ear, he "accidently" forgot to press the record button.

All in all a good night out altho the bit with all those people walking round with flags went on a bit. I dozed off between Bhutan and Uzbekistan to be honest.

Cheers

Olympic Bob
    The voice of reason

Well, if playing the Olympic Anthem with the LSO when the Olympic flag is raised doesn't warrant a big announcement, I don't know what does (and it sounded pretty amazing,too)

Quote Originally Posted by katieeuph View Post
    Well, if playing the Olympic Anthem with the LSO when the Olympic flag is raised doesn't warrant a big announcement, I don't know what does (and it sounded pretty amazing,too)
    I can't remember Grimey's name being mentioned during the anthem and wasn't this pre-recorded?
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

wasnt it in the press release some where that the world will know of Grimethorp ?

as for my next performance mate, if you want to come you can pay like every one else !!
    I would but your profile doesn't say what band you play for.

Looking at your comments on this thread you seem to have been pretty negative about a brass band being involved in the biggest event in the UK for about 50 years, why?

tMP Master Friend

Looking at your comments on this thread you seem to have been pretty negative about a brass band being involved in the biggest event in the UK for about 50 years, why?
    I would just call it realistic as opposed to negative, its just I find it hard biting my tongue when I see how excited some people seem to get over some of the things posted on here. Well done to the band i say, but people on here seemed to be under the impression the band was going to be intoduced and all the members interviewed and so on and so on.

Banding unfortunately is a minority hobby, and it will continue to be mores the pitty, just get used to it.

As for Banding, I dont play any more, does that mean Im not allowed on here ?

I dont play any more
    that's going to make me paying to hear your next performance a little tricky !

I dont play any more, does that mean Im not allowed on here ?
    of course not, it's a discussion forum, all opinions are equally valid

tMP Senior Friend

Usual story. We can't bear the success of others. Well done Grimey. Already the most famous brass band in the world.

tMP Friend in Training
    Without any disrespect to the playing members of the band, and as a former proud member, cannot help thinking that Danny Boyle only chose them based on the left of centre political slant he wanted to portray. Marching behind an NUM banner was cliche at best, ( and I can barely make that out in the few long distance photo's taken from within the crowd, as there was , as we know, no coverage of the band at all on the BBC ) and I mean that respectfully with an understanding and recognition of the strife and hardship endured by the community at the time of the miners strike. The message pre-ceremony delivered to our very small amateur hobby through the management of the band was, in my opinion, over the top, as far as the reality of the actual involvement in the ceremony. (Albeit I can only but imagine as a player in the band, it must have been an amazing experience.)
    Mark Bowater
    Brighouse and Rastrick
    Solo Cornet

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bowater View Post
    I can only but imagine as a player in the band, it must have been an amazing experience.
    I am sure that some of the members of the band would have taken photos and video footage (probably wasn't allowed), and this could be uploaded to Youtube, under a surrpetious title, or the band website, etc...................

IMO, the fact that a brass band was approached says more about the brass band movement. Due to the locale of the Olympic Stadium, it could quite easily have been a steel drum band. (Nothing against them, apart from the tinny, bangy sound they make). As it was a group of musicians, were chosen, based on the plight that the commumity endured, and beat, to rise from the ashes of the British Coal Industry. Whether they were visible or not, is academic. Whether you knew they were there, or not, is academic. They were there, and played/marcel marceau'd for want of a better word, and it will go down in the annals, as a highlight in the history of Grimethorpe. This should be celebrated.

I have got over the fact that they didn't ask me dep, and hope that it didn't take them to long to get out of the stadium, as they amounted to 0.01% of the total expected to be in or around the Olympic Stadium last night.

Good on Grimethorpe for accepting the invitation, and being there, for a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you guys get a call for the closing ceremony, I still only live 20 minutes away, if you need a bass dep
    Nothing to see

tMP Master Friend
    that's going to make me paying to hear your next performance a little tricky !
    of course not, it's a discussion forum, all opinions are equally valid
    Thats very kind !

Quote Originally Posted by centralbankofdad View Post
    Usual story. We can't bear the success of others. Well done Grimey. Already the most famous brass band in the world.
    Absolutely rediculous accusation to make ! I said well done to the Band, but they just proved to be more famous in the band circle, tell you what, when you go to the corner shop next time, ask the lady on the till "what she thought of Grimethorpe) ? she wont have a clue !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bowater View Post
    Without any disrespect to the playing members of the band, and as a former proud member, cannot help thinking that Danny Boyle only chose them based on the left of centre political slant he wanted to portray. Marching behind an NUM banner was cliche at best, ( and I can barely make that out in the few long distance photo's taken from within the crowd, as there was , as we know, no coverage of the band at all on the BBC ) and I mean that respectfully with an understanding and recognition of the strife and hardship endured by the community at the time of the miners strike. The message pre-ceremony delivered to our very small amateur hobby through the management of the band was, in my opinion, over the top, as far as the reality of the actual involvement in the ceremony. (Albeit I can only but imagine as a player in the band, it must have been an amazing experience.)
    Thanks, thats exactly what Ive been trying (unseccessfuly) to type!

Banned
    I think the only problem here is the matter of unfortunate hype by the 'marketing team'. The inclusion of Grimethorpe is a great thing, both for bands, and for individuals. it was very nice on a personal note to know that friends were performing on the world stage.

It's not the bands fault that the BBC didn't show or credit them.

The only issue is that it was billed by Grimethorpe as securing them a "a worldwide profile.". Even if they had been billed and shown correctly, it still wouldn't really have achieved this (although they can at least now bill themselves as performing at the Olympics opening ceremony which may have some marketing clout outside brass bands). This was a mis-placed bit of spin, particularly in hindsight. But it isn't the fault of the individuals, just that whoever spun the story from the band got a little carried away.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast