Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimethorpe Announcement

tMP Friend in Training Stracathro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    Don't disagree with any of that, from the perspective of an "amateur" brass band. However the discussion seems to have become twisted and slightly misdirected; when I made my original points several pages back, it seemed to me that some people were objecting to professional musicians expecting to be paid for performing.
    Then, as I think you said earlier, it's a business decision.

If the approach is, 'we would like to hire you. . .oh but by the way we're not going to pay you,' that's different from, 'we were wondering if you might like to enter into a mutually beneficial partnership with us'.

I suppose it's a question of the nature of 'pay' and whether it has to be direct or indirect. If professionals think they will earn more money long term from an engagment then it's not unreasonable for them to agree. But they would be well within their rights to say no, especially if the approach more resembled the first example above and not the second. Again, I don't think the dangerous precedent argument works even for professionals in this case due to the uniqueness of the event.

I wonder what Grimethorpe's big announcement is going to be about?
    Jim Yelland
    Hinckley

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by James Yelland View Post
    I wonder what Grimethorpe's big announcement is going to be about?
    That they aint doing the Olympic opening Ceremony !!

tMP Friend in Training Stracathro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianroberts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    "Dear Mr. Bank Manager,
    I'm sorry, but I will be unable to make my mortgage repayment this month due to my having been invited to perform at the Olympics for no fee. Perhaps you would be so good as to accept this envelope full of prestige in lieu ... ? "
    ...or perhaps.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,
    I`m sorry, but I will unable to make my mortgage repayment this month owing to me making a sh*te career choice. Like a gullible fool I `ve been spat out of music college hoping that I was entering a well paid profession with people queueing up to employ me. In reality my profession is hopelessly over subcribed with excellent musicians all chasing a relatively miniscule number of low paid jobs.
    Perhaps you can wait till I re-train as a music teacher or join the military as a musician and kid myself that I`m still a "pro", before my next payment.
    `Unity Is Strength`

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by IanHeard View Post
    ...or perhaps.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,
    I`m sorry, but I will unable to make my mortgage repayment this month owing to me making a sh*te career choice. Like a gullible fool I `ve been spat out of music college hoping that I was entering a well paid profession with people queueing up to employ me. In reality my profession is hopelessly over subcribed with excellent musicians all chasing a relatively miniscule number of low paid jobs.
    Perhaps you can wait till I re-train as a music teacher or join the military as a musician and kid myself that I`m still a "pro", before my next payment.
    EEb Bass Northop Band

tMP Senior Friend
    ...or perhaps.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,
    Tumbleweed

...or perhaps.

Dear Mr Bank Manager,
    Speechless :-/
    Sitting on top of the Christmas tree like a little fairy ......
    Kenny P
    Soprano Cornet - The Milnrow Band
    Grand Shield Champions 2013
    National Finalists 2013
    British Open Qualifiers 2015

Maybe they don't need to be there ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-Games.html
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

tMP Master Friend
    thats it then, Grimethorpe will be sat down at the ceremony (free of charge), miming to Dyke recorded 3 weeks earlier and paid a fortune !!

thats it then, Grimethorpe will be sat down at the ceremony (free of charge), miming to Dyke recorded 3 weeks earlier and paid a fortune !!
    ... not Dinnington's recording then?
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

tMP Senior Friend
    ...or perhaps.Dear Mr Bank Manager,I`m sorry, but I will unable to make my mortgage repayment this month owing to me making a sh*te career choice. Like a gullible fool I `ve been spat out of music college hoping that I was entering a well paid profession with people queueing up to employ me. In reality my profession is hopelessly over subcribed with excellent musicians all chasing a relatively miniscule number of low paid jobs.Perhaps you can wait till I re-train as a music teacher or join the military as a musician and kid myself that I`m still a "pro", before my next payment.
    Spot on .

tMP Newbie
    Thats it...............throwing in the towel. My whole musical future up in smoke..........ahhhh well. Back to practicing for the ABRSMs instead of a load of mirrors and smoke.

I play because like it end of....if people enjoy it, it makes it all worthwhile.
    If Carlsberg made tenor horn players.......

Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    Maybe they don't need to be there ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-Games.html
    And theres reason why Grimey were at Abby Road then. Bet they can't wait!!!
    Alan Hodgkinson
    BBb Bass
    DOUBLE OPEN AND NATIONAL FINAL CHAMPIONS 2012
    Any opinions or thoughts posted on here are mine and mine alone.

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Best bit will be trying to get all the instruments past the metal detectors, or getting a BBb through one of the X-Ray machines
    Nothing to see

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast