Thread: Butlins 2013 how much?

tMP Senior Friend

Unhappy Butlins 2013 how much?

We have just received the information for the 2013 festival, i am astonished to read that the cost of a non resident band person to enter the venue for the contest has increased to 20.

Our band are based within 40 minutes of Skegness and this competition is our only home match in the calender.
    It is now potentially going to cost 540 plus entry fee to attend!

O dear !! The same will apply to our near neighbours on the east coast,Horncastle and Cleethorpes!!

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Could be that is how they are going to cover the increase in the prize money for the top section!
    Nothing to see

I would think it's more to do with Butlins encouraging more people to stay on site and spend their money in the bars and restaurants
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    I would think it's more to do with Butlins encouraging more people to stay on site and spend their money in the bars and restaurants
    Exactly, another here we go again, another person who expects to go to a Butlins premises and believe they are owned a favour.
    Butlin's are not doing this for the goodness of banding but to make money and overheads do go up. Event though you are fairly local, the whole point of the Butlin's experience is to stop over, otherwise go to another contest with less prize money!
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Yep, sadly from the perspective of the local bands, this great contest on their doorstep caters to a nationwide clientele, and Butlins is aiming to please those who will travel a distance to be there in order to maximise their revenue. I can see why they are doing this - a number of our band stayed off-site last year (not entirely sure why in most cases, the site is really not unpleasant), and I'm sure they want to provide such people with more of an incentive to give them money...

It seems a bit strange that it is thought of as the local contest in Lincs. It's a little like Blackpool area bands thinking of the Spring Festival as their local contest - not exactly, but analogous enough to be worth thinking of - the contest is not aiming to cater to the local area, but happens to be conveniently located for nearby bands - depending on Butlins for a local contesting scene is a little dangerous, for exactly the reasons that this thread exists. If there aren't any other contests in the county at all, maybe the time is ripe for somebody to organise one...
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Friend in Training
    Yes it does seem a little steep but, as has been said, they want to maximise their earning potential by getting people on site spending in their facilities and their occupancy rates higher than they would otherwise be. Not a lot we can do about it - its business. On a separate note to do with this contest, can someone give me the entertainment line-up for 2013? I'm sure I've seen it in one of the fairly recent brass band mags and remember thinking it was a good line-up but can't remember the full details. Tried googling it to no avail and there's nothing on Butlin's website. Ta.

It is a bit of a rip off though isn't it? Throughout 2012 a low season day pass is 10 for an adult. At high season when they have all the top entertainment laid on and all the facilities opened up it is 16.
    20 in the coldest couple of weeks of the year with limited facilities does seem a bit steep. A bit more transparency may be needed in the pricing. Perhaps the Butlins entry and the brass band competition entry elements need to be seperated so we know exactly what we are paying for.

http://www.butlins.com/pdfs/skegness...t-calendar.pdf
    A Smile Is a Curve That Straightens Things Out

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn View Post
    It is a bit of a rip off though isn't it? Throughout 2012 a low season day pass is 10 for an adult. At high season when they have all the top entertainment laid on and all the facilities opened up it is 16.
    20 in the coldest couple of weeks of the year with limited facilities does seem a bit steep. A bit more transparency may be needed in the pricing. Perhaps the Butlins entry and the brass band competition entry elements need to be seperated so we know exactly what we are paying for.

perhaps it's due to the quality of the entertainment available?
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetrom View Post
    perhaps it's due to the quality of the entertainment available?
    I assume you are talking about the top section on the Sunday
    Nothing to see

They are paying out close to 40k by my calc on prizes. I suspect there are very few weekends if any they pay out this much for the "top entertainment" as you call it.

They have to pay for it somehow. If a few extra quid means they attract decent bands and fill the place up and it keeps going then so be it.
    On my gravestone the epitaph will read: I'd rather be here than Old Trafford

20 in the coldest couple of weeks of the year with limited facilities does seem a bit steep.
    Same discussion every year since it first started. Last year we had 3 night self-catering accommodation for 43 each. Entertainment for 3 nights, a days test piece contest to listen to and a days Championship entertainment.

Hows that compare to say

All day wn choice contest say 8 + All day Championship band entertainment 25 + 3 nights in night clubs @ 15 + 3 nights in a hotel 90 = come on staying is a bargain - pay the extra 23 and stay on site
    Mr Francis Hargate
    EEb Bass - Dronfield Genquip Band
    www.dronfieldband.co.uk

Personally I would rather pay the money to stay for three nights, although I rarely stay on the Sunday night, and get Half Board for c. 35 a night. Where else in the country, apart from seedy hotels, is this actually a viable option.

If you are not willing to stay, and don't think that the prize money is enough of an incentive, then don't bother turning up. There are plenty of bands who now wish to participate, but are not able to due to the success of this contest. But be warned, if you decide not to attend, having sent in an entry form, you will go to the back of the queue for re-application.

I may be in the minority in my band, but I would prefer to be at Butlin's next year competing, but will probably still go even if we don't, just for the craic, and catching up with friends, acquaintences, and making new friends and acquaintences.
    Nothing to see

tMP Friend in Training
    Going off that calendar it would not normally be open for day visits so I guess they can charge what they want if they are doing it specifically for the contest.

Anyone know the entertainment line-up and can post it please? Ta.

tut, here we go again, same every year, if Butlins let 'em in for nowt some people would find summat else to moan at, it's simple, if you don't want to pay 20 for the day, THEN DON'T GO FOR THE DAY! tut...

The only entertainment I know is that we (Flowers) are playing on the friday night as reigning champions, and also I believe Chad Shoopman is flying over.