Thread: The Paragon - E Sutton

The Paragon - E Sutton

Hi Folks, I'm writing program notes for an upcoming concert, I'm struggling to find any viable information about the cornet solo - The Paragon, by E Sutton.

On the score it says "Dedicated to Mr Harold Pinches, the celebrated Cornetist" . . .

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

cheers
    Garry Hallas.

MD - Emley Brass Band - www.emleybrassband.co.uk
    Trumpet/Flugel @dynamicbrass www.dynamicbrass.co.uk

Conductor, Teacher, Percussionist, Brass Player (top end only), Arranger.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    I believe his first name was Edward, and from his brassbandresults contest record infer that he lived in South Wales in the 1890s, moving to Scotland in 1898, where he continued conducting until at least 1935. But I remember running into a bit of a blank on this before - could you possibly let me know if you find any more definite information, Garry? I could incorporate it into a bio for the BBR page (which is here: http://brassbandresults.co.uk/conductors/e-sutton/).

Possibly the Scottish association might have some information? They tend to be very well organised on such matters. SBBA website: http://www.sbba.org.uk/.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

I seem to recall that E.Sutton composed the euph solo "The Cavalier". A tenuous link I know but it might lead to a little more info if pursued.

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

I recall that Jim Shepherd recorded this solo during his tenure with Black Dyke. Maybe someone still has the album and can check the sleeve notes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brooks View Post
    I recall that Jim Shepherd recorded this solo during his tenure with Black Dyke. Maybe someone still has the album and can check the sleeve notes.
    I know he recorded "Pandora" (Damare) on the "High Peak" Dyke LP in 1970 ?

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brooks View Post
    It's also on the Richard Marshall 'Heritage' album Vol 1

Also on Revelation with Matt Baker; I happen to have that CD in my office so here are the sleeve notes:
    "The meaning of the word Paragon is 'model of excellence or a supremely excellent person'. Matthew Baker's performance on this solo is fully in accordance with both definitions. His beautiful tone is only surpassed by his intuitive sense of phrasing. The composer, Edward Sutton, was himself a cornet player and, coincidentally, wrote this solo for one of Matthew's predecessors at Black Dyke, Harold Pinches".

Also recorded with Mark Wilkinson and Fodens on Concert Classics but that CD is at home.

David King ex Principal Cornet player of Walsall Metropolitan Band(Now Staffordshire Band) played it on a record in 1979.
    Im sure someone from Staffordshire Band would help you on this
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall