Thread: Out of copyright music - help

tMP Friend in Training

Out of copyright music - help

Hi I am looking for some out of copyright hymns and marches - any ideas greatly appreciated.Thanks

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    It depends what you want to do with them.

If you're looking to arrange, them for band then as for the marches, the best advice I have is to look for anything where the composer died more than 71 years ago as of January this year. Regarding hymns, anything with a traditional melody (Ie: marked 'trad') is fair game. There are quite a few of these - such as 'Slane' the traditional tune to which 'Lord of all Hopefulness' and 'Be Thou my Vision' are set. For those with known composers the same copyright rules apply as above - and apply to pretty much everything else too!

If you're looking for sets which are off copyright which you can photocopy (for ten-piece pads and the like) be careful - because though the music itself may be out of copyright, the impression (That is to say the particular printed edition of the score and parts) probably won't be unless it's a REALLY old set.

TMP has a copyright FAQ which is a big help on this subject.

Hope that helps.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

tMP Friend in Training
    Thanks Andy,
    I am looking for something that could be broadcast so needs to be out of copyright. I was hoping some of the march pads may be but it doesn't look that way.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Lumb View Post
    Thanks Andy,
    I am looking for something that could be broadcast so needs to be out of copyright. I was hoping some of the march pads may be but it doesn't look that way.
    Why should it need to be out of copyright ?
    If you need a "Royalty Free" march I can give you rights to broadcast one of mine...

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Norman View Post
    Why should it need to be out of copyright ?
    If you need a "Royalty Free" march I can give you rights to broadcast one of mine...
    Thanks Andrew, nothing is definate yet but I will let know if I need your help. Thanks