Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: English Nationals 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental View Post
    Seriously???? Then I guess there's either two posters with the same name on here, or your intentions are very different from what you're actually writing and we're perceiving....

etc etc.....
    Disdain for contests? Yes. Wonderment at why people do it? Yes. Disrespect for them? No.

I hope that's clear.
    Jim Yelland
    Hinckley

tMP Master Friend
    Can you two just get a room somewhere please? There's cheating and duff results to be discussed here!
    ----------------------
    Simon Phillips

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by simonium View Post
    Can you two just get a room somewhere please? There's cheating and duff results to be discussed here!
    Matt Rowe
    1st Baritone
    Tongwynlais Temperance Band

Cornwall Youth Brass Band

tMP Senior Friend
    I go to a contest like the English Nationals to hear some of my favourite pieces played live by the very best bands, playing to the best of their ability. I don't much care who wins or loses, but apparently I'm not there to enjoy the "music for it's own sake", whatever that may mean.

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by boourns View Post
    I go to a contest like the English Nationals to hear some of my favourite pieces played live by the very best bands, playing to the best of their ability. I don't much care who wins or loses, but apparently I'm not there to enjoy the "music for it's own sake", whatever that may mean.
    I Agree entirely with your sentiments you enjoyed your day listening to some of your favourite pieces with all eight bands making a great contribution both on own choice and set work.the result came seccond for you its allabout enjoyment. when music becomes a sport we lose all sense of what we are supposed to be about

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by critic View Post
    I Agree entirely with your sentiments you enjoyed your day listening to some of your favourite pieces with all eight bands making a great contribution both on own choice and set work.the result came seccond for you its allabout enjoyment. when music becomes a sport we lose all sense of what we are supposed to be about
    However, there's an argument to be made that the sporting element is necessary to achieve the levels of performance witnessed at such contests. With the greatest will in the world, there is no way these bands put the same level of rehearsal and attention to detail into a concert at Walton-on-the-Naze Civic Hall as they would for, say, the British Open.

So perhaps those who go only to concerts, to appreciate "music for it's own sake", are missing out.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    I suspect they also attend concerts given by other groups, groups that are not as hung up on contesting as UK brass bands are, groups that are glad to put their big efforts into their concert programmes.

A second point is that, such is the pressure at these big contests, often the performance standards fall short of what the band is capable of.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    I suspect they also attend concerts given by other groups, groups that are not as hung up on contesting as UK brass bands are, groups that are glad to put their big efforts into their concert programmes.

A second point is that, such is the pressure at these big contests, often the performance standards fall short of what the band is capable of.
    Isn't it this element of brass banding which keeps the vitality going and encourages younger people to take it up? Without the "sport" side of brass bands, there would not be the same appeal to the younger members I am sure, and the standards of playing are also improved by getting one piece up to such a great standard which rubs off on other playing - so concerts are also better!

I wasn't arguing against contesting... It has pros and cons.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    I wasn't arguing against contesting... It has pros and cons.
    I think other genres should be encouraged to try it. If the LSO competed regularly against the Berlin Phil, Chicago Symphony, Vienna Phil et al then just think how much better they'd all get...

I think other genres should be encouraged to try it. If the LSO competed regularly against the Berlin Phil, Chicago Symphony, Vienna Phil et al then just think how much better they'd all get...
    Preusmably you missed a wink or tongue in cheek emotion from this.....if not, add one fast!!!
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

I noticed the other day that the Manx Music Festival has competitive bible reading classes, and felt a little bit reassured about my own personal sanity.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflugel View Post
    Preusmably you missed a wink or tongue in cheek emotion from this.....if not, add one fast!!!
    I thought I'd see if I got any takers first

It's an interesting idea though, although I'm unsure who you'd get to adjudicate, and whether they'd be happy to sit in a box.

"Ladies and gentlemen, orchestra number 5 are now ready to commence their performance. They have chosen to play Pelleas und Melisande by Arnold Schoenberg. On your signal, Mr adjudicator..."

It's an interesting idea though, although I'm unsure who you'd get to adjudicate, and whether they'd be happy to sit in a box.

"Ladies and gentlemen, orchestra number 5 are now ready to commence their performance. They have chosen to play Pelleas und Melisande by Arnold Schoenberg. On your signal, Mr adjudicator..."
    "Ladies and gentlemen, orchestra number 1 is ready to give the first of 22 performances of Mahler Symphony No 5. There will be a short comfort break after band 22 before the own choice section commences."
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar

I bet they'd then get Mozart 40 for the final. Typical old brown music, nothing in it for trombones, tuba, harps, percussion, etc. etc., but harder than it looks
    Andrew Baker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4