Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: English Nationals 2012

tMP Friend

English Nationals 2012

Does anybody know any own choice selections for the upcoming English Nationals competition in Preston?
    Matt Rowe
    Solo Euphonium
    Tongwynlais Temperance Band

Cornwall Youth Brass Band

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    From the grapevine I'm pretty sure at least one band is playing Audivi Media Nocte - obviously I won't name who!
    Andrew Baker

tMP Master Friend
    whas the betting paddy for saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Baritone View Post
    Does anybody know any own choice selections for the upcoming English Nationals competition in Preston?
    The eight choices are revealed here:
    http://4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?offset=25&id=15335
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

tMP Master Friend
    Has paddy retired

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by critic View Post
    Has paddy retired
    He is probably busy designing "good luck shorts" to send to the remaining teams in the Euro 2012 football competition

tMP Master Friend
    draw for set test piece now up on 4 br paddy must have forgotten the contest

More "GUEST'S"......why ? if what you have isn't good enough, don't bother.............

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by bumper-euph View Post
    More "GUEST'S"......why ? if what you have isn't good enough, don't bother.............
    wow thats a bit strong. two players allowed to borrow. if curcumstances arise that bands have to use the rule there is nothingwrong as far as im concerned as i say till you know the facts its better to say nowt

tMP Master Friend
    results. 1dyke 2leyland 3fodens 4Fairys 5th Hepworth 6th Reg Vardy 7th Gus 8th Pemberton

tMP Senior Friend
    I followed the live comments, and have tonight watched the interviews on 4br and there does seem to be a massive difference of opinion between the 4br live and post contest view - are they different reporters?Leyland were slated in the live comments, but referred to very favourably after the results and fodens seem to have had it the other way with more positive live comments. Also I'd be interested to hear from anyone there how on earth Dykes Cornet could outshine the Euph in their selection of own choice and take the solo prize - that's not a dig at either (fantastic) player, but more a comment on the (euph heavy) composition.Just to be clear I wasn't there so have no axe to grind or problem with the results, but would like to hear opinions from folk that did hear these bands.

Firstly to clarify the soloist issue the soloist prize was based only on the test piece and not the own choice contest. I was at the contest yesterday and I have to admit as good as the likes of Fodens, Fairey and Leyland were Black Dyke were on a different wave length. Masquerade was admittedly a lot closer but the own choice was simply outstanding with particular mention to Gary Curtin who was superb. It is the best live performance I have ever heard and it will take something special to top that anytime soon. If you get a chance to hear it on soundcloud do because it was that good.

Take Dyke out and the other three bands could have finished in any order. My prediction was Dyke (1st and 1st) Fodens (2nd 3rd) and Fairey (3rd 2nd) and Leyland (4th 5th). Hepworth really impressed me on their own choice and they could be a band to watch in the future they are certainly on an upward curve and could be a dark horse at the Open this year if they can carry that form forward. Of the other bands no band disgraced themselves but they were just outclassed at this level. They are good bands in their own right just hard to compete with the class shown at the top end.

Of the contest itself the new format (now in its second year) is excellent but the crowds are not coming to the contest and it still fails to draw Grimethorpe (back) or Desford in along with Carlton Main and Brighouse not going. That was my fourth English Nationals and it has come along way from my first one back in 2008. I see it as a good cheap contest and I make the trip from Ireland every year. Perhaps it's the location for some people but it does seem hard to see how they can continue to have the contest if it only attracts 300 - 400 people to a 2000 seater venue. I will still continue to attend and I hope more people do as well in the future!
    Stephen Murray
    Principal Cornet Drogheda Brass Band

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmrry View Post
    Firstly to clarify the soloist issue the soloist prize was based only on the test piece and not the own choice contest. I was at the contest yesterday and I have to admit as good as the likes of Fodens, Fairey and Leyland were Black Dyke were on a different wave length. Masquerade was admittedly a lot closer but the own choice was simply outstanding with particular mention to Gary Curtin who was superb. It is the best live performance I have ever heard and it will take something special to top that anytime soon. If you get a chance to hear it on soundcloud do because it was that good.

Take Dyke out and the other three bands could have finished in any order. My prediction was Dyke (1st and 1st) Fodens (2nd 3rd) and Fairey (3rd 2nd) and Leyland (4th 5th). Hepworth really impressed me on their own choice and they could be a band to watch in the future they are certainly on an upward curve and could be a dark horse at the Open this year if they can carry that form forward. Of the other bands no band disgraced themselves but they were just outclassed at this level. They are good bands in their own right just hard to compete with the class shown at the top end.

Of the contest itself the new format (now in its second year) is excellent but the crowds are not coming to the contest and it still fails to draw Grimethorpe (back) or Desford in along with Carlton Main and Brighouse not going. That was my fourth English Nationals and it has come along way from my first one back in 2008. I see it as a good cheap contest and I make the trip from Ireland every year. Perhaps it's the location for some people but it does seem hard to see how they can continue to have the contest if it only attracts 300 - 400 people to a 2000 seater venue. I will still continue to attend and I hope more people do as well in the future!
    Afair reflection on the day from you and no band let them selvs down. A five point difference between 5th place and the bottom three who with 14 points wasa big gap.But overall the standard according to both set ofjudges was very good indeed

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    Also I'd be interested to hear from anyone there how on earth Dykes Cornet could outshine the Euph in their selection of own choice and take the solo prize - that's not a dig at either (fantastic) player, but more a comment on the (euph heavy) composition.Just to be clear I wasn't there so have no axe to grind or problem with the results, but would like to hear opinions from folk that did hear these bands.
    Gary Curtin was indeed excellent in both performances, but Richard Marshall is and was outstanding. Good day's contesting with good performances from all bands there, but I am not sure if this contest can be (or even should be) sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    I followed the live comments, and have tonight watched the interviews on 4br and there does seem to be a massive difference of opinion between the 4br live and post contest view - are they different reporters?Leyland were slated in the live comments, but referred to very favourably after the results and fodens seem to have had it the other way with more positive live comments. Also I'd be interested to hear from anyone there how on earth Dykes Cornet could outshine the Euph in their selection of own choice and take the solo prize - that's not a dig at either (fantastic) player, but more a comment on the (euph heavy) composition.Just to be clear I wasn't there so have no axe to grind or problem with the results, but would like to hear opinions from folk that did hear these bands.
    Leyland were slated?? I seem to remember the reporters mentioning a few inconsistencies but there is a very big difference between that and slating.
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast