Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Academic Festival Overture

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    "In the world outside, there is amazing new concept called talking to people"....very profound indeed!
    Yet you have stated on a publlic forum, that you have a grievance with a body thay may not take notice of anything that is said on here.

If you have contacted Kapitol about your grievance then I apologise. If you have not, then feel free to do so, as they are the only body that have any say on any of this.
    Nothing to see

Somebody's gonna have to let someone have the last word sometime....zzzz

If its of any consolation, the third cornet part in this piece doesn't have a great deal to do either......

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    It's a fairly typical overture from a bass player's point of view isn't it? I think I've played it once or twice but never properly rehearsed it.

'Overture' for a bass player generally translates as "100-odd bars of doing nothing, 100-odd bars of on-beat crotchets and quavers, a half-dozen bars that are a real nightmare, and about fifty bars of blowing your rocks off on minims and semibreves" so sheds, I sympathise.

Does strike me that they've chosen a harder piece for the area than they settled on for the finals in this section. And it's not the first that's happened time either. I wonder if that's deliberate? If so I'd be interested to know the rationale behind it. Are there any published criteria on how these things are decided?
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball View Post
    Does strike me that they've chosen a harder piece for the area than they settled on for the finals in this section. And it's not the first that's happened time either. I wonder if that's deliberate? If so I'd be interested to know the rationale behind it. Are there any published criteria on how these things are decided?
    Not as many notes, time changes or solos but in terms of balance, style, tuning articulation it present enormous challenges.
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

I fear you misinterpret me. I'm not saying it doesn't present a challenge for the bands playing it.

What I'm saying is that Cross Patonce presented the same challenges of balance, tuning style etc. to the bands that played it - albeit in a very different context - but also presented other challenges that the overture does not.

To my mind, Cross Patonce is the sterner test of the full compass of a band's abilities, and while I would never pretend that AFO is 'easy' to play, because such an argument would certainly be misguided, it's my opinion that it is not as difficult to produce a convincing performance of as Cross Patonce was.

Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Our wheels (Langley Band - Belle Vue Grand Shield, 6th May 1972) certainly must have fallen off! We finished 14th out of 23, much to the disgust of our MD, Dennis Masters. Stanshawe (Bristol) won on that occasion.

Also: one of our bandsmen was almost drowned from the trunk of an elephant! Happy, happy days.

tMP Senior Friend 2nd trom virtuoso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fabled inferno View Post
    Regarding your views on musicality and artistry, Cross Patonce gave ample scope for bands to display their musicality and artistry, but at the same time gave the whole band a chance (including percussion) to show its metal. All I expect from those who choose the music for the finals is more of the same please!
    I see your point, but at the same time the term 'give the whole band a chance to show it's metal' you use may be a potential banana skin. Many band's these days have percussion sections that completely obliterate the sound of the band. It's the quieter more delicate stuff that takes some playing - anyone can play loud.

Regards
    Matt
    Matthew R

Solo Trombone - Littleport

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd trom virtuoso View Post
    I see your point, but at the same time the term 'give the whole band a chance to show it's metal' you use may be a potential banana skin. Many band's these days have percussion sections that completely obliterate the sound of the band. It's the quieter more delicate stuff that takes some playing - anyone can play loud.

Regards
    Matt
    Isn't keeping the balance in check part of the challenge for the conductor? After all, he/she is part of the team as well.

Ps: I know you were only quoting the previous post, but in that context, I think the word is 'mettle' meaning courage and fortitude - not 'metal'....
    Last edited by Thirteen Ball; 22.05.2012 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd trom virtuoso View Post
    anyone can play loud.
    depends what you call loud
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Aren't the same arguments coming up again?

I heard complaints that a percussion prize couldn't be awarded when the 1st section test was Moorside Suite a couple of years ago and the percussion part was next to nothing, there was too much percussion required in Pentacle in 2009, Mountain Views was too easy for 1st Section this year, Carnaval Romain was too hard in 2010.

At the end of the day, the music panel have made their choices and we have to sit down and play them. We might have 40 bars of tutti minims to play, but the band that wins should be the one who plays those bars in tune, at the correct dynamic, where everyone starts and finishes together. It is not the end of the world if some people feel the finals test piece is easier than the areas, as long as the bands in the final play to the best of their ability, a reasonable result should be arrived at.

If anyone is really unhappy at the choice, then voice that concern to the music committee, but I would imagine constructive comments are more likely to elicit a reasonable response than a straightforward complaint that the test piece doesn't suit a section of your band.

Pete Scott

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hicks View Post
    If its of any consolation, the third cornet part in this piece doesn't have a great deal to do either......
    Thanks the lord in our case!!!

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyn James
    Somebody's gonna have to let someone have the last word sometime....zzzz
    Mornington Crescent!
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Trombone parts are very inconsistent in test pieces also, ranging from rock-hard to a handful of minims. Sadly the wrong one always seems to pop up for me, when I'm in the mood for a challenge it will probably be Indian Summer, when I'm hoping for a quiet contest Dreams will hit the stand.

If the band I was in wasn't interested in the piece to be performed, a valid argument could be made around the reasons to spend all that money and time attending the contest. Go do something interesting instead and see what piece gets chosen next year.

Voting with your feet is a good way to effect change!
    Marc Nethercot

Trombone Dalewool Auckland Brass

Quote Originally Posted by nethers View Post
    If the band I was in wasn't interested in the piece to be performed, a valid argument could be made around the reasons to spend all that money and time attending the contest. Go do something interesting instead and see what piece gets chosen next year.
    Voting with your feet is a good way to effect change!
    I don't know if I would go for that idea, but it is a very valid and logical option worthy of discussion.
    Trouble is that when it comes to the Areas and National Finals every band feels obligated to take part whatever the piece.
    Perhaps bands that enter big contests should submit a list of three or so pieces and the most popular should be chosen. Alternatively make some of the big contests "Own Choice". It might make the result a bit of a lottery and open to great debate, but in theory all the competing bands will have enjoyede rehearsing their contribution.

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast