Thread: Own Choice competitions

tMP Friend

Own Choice competitions

Was thinking the other day, at own choice competitions adjudicators sometimes get the score on the day of the contest, something that will be happening at the Weston Super Mare contest next Sunday. I'm sure we will not be the only band on the day that decides to choose a piece that can be described as programmatic music, so a thought I've had. At own choices, would it be a good idea before the band has played that a compere gives a piece overview, some pieces of music don't make complete sense if the story isn't completely apparent. As a frequent listener too, I like to know what I'm listening to! I personally think it could be an idea!
    Matt Rowe
    Solo Euphonium
    Tongwynlais Temperance Band

Cornwall Youth Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Baritone View Post
    ... adjudicators sometimes get the score on the day of the contest, something that will be happening at the Weston Super Mare contest next Sunday. I'm sure we will not be the only band on the day that decides to choose a piece that can be described as programmatic music,
    Most scores of pieces that could be described as "programmatic" would have a synopsis of some sort printed at the start of the score

... would it be a good idea before the band has played that a compere gives a piece overview, some pieces of music don't make complete sense if the story isn't completely apparent.
    My own feeling would be that if an adjudicator is not capable of making an accurate assessment of the performance without being spoonfed some sort of "storyline", then that person shouldn't be adjudicating ... Everything the adjudicator needs to know is contained in the score.
    Last edited by GJG; 12.05.2012 at 17:19.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Friend in Training Gazabone's Avatar
    Have to agree with GJG's comments. If a synopsis was read out, should that be included in the performance time? I would argue that any stopwatchs that are used to time a performance, should start from the moment the synopsis is started to be read out and not be stopped until the final note has finished. I do wonder though how many pieces would then exceed any time constraints set by the contest organisers.

I agree with the sentiment Matt but I have doubts that a (test piece) contest is the right place for it for 2 reasons;

It still won't alter the contest being adjudicated (hopefully) on how well a performance is played (whether by the official adjudicator or the myriad of unofficial ones) and;

There's a good chance that the number of people listening that are both unaware of any overview and are that interested before the band starts to play it will be relatively few. Those that are unaware and interested have the option to research it later (or ask someone from the band).

Secondly, there are the time constraints. Next weekend, with 13 in the open section, if every band did that, it could easily add an hour to the section.

tMP Friend
    I see what you mean, but I've been to own choice competitions before, just listening to music and then realised according to other people the meaning of the piece. Maybe it's just me, but I would like to know before hand so I can relate the music to the piece. I don't necessarily mean completely for the adjudicator, but I'm sure many audience members would like to know. On set pieces, taking Mountain Views for example, there were programme notes about the piece given to the audience. Okay, that is one piece for the whole section so is not time consuming, but could this not be read out either while the band are going on stage or setting up? I'm not talking a 5 minute lecture, just a 30 second synopsis to give a brief overview.
    Matt Rowe
    Solo Euphonium

You think people listening to contests are interested in music ... ?
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]

Perhaps the best place for an overview then would be included in the contest program; guaranteed not to take extra time - contest days tend to be long enough as they are. You never know, contest organisers might sell a few more programs and generate extra income!

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazabone View Post
    Perhaps the best place for an overview then would be included in the contest program; guaranteed not to take extra time - contest days tend to be long enough as they are. You never know, contest organisers might sell a few more programs and generate extra income!
    It's a good point! But I personally would like to see it, just my humble opinion :P
    Matt Rowe
    Solo Euphonium

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    Of course! What else.....? :P
    Matt Rowe
    Solo Euphonium

I think I'm right in saying that at the Europeans, in the own choice, Frank Renton gives a bit of a speech on each piece before the band plays.

Ah, that one's quite easy; for 2 things - to say how wonderful the band they're associated with was and to pick holes in all the other bands in the section!!!!!!!!

Well, usually it's more like an audience watching a high-wire act; secretly they all hope he's going to fall off ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

Well, usually it's more like an audience watching a high-wire act; secretly they all hope he's going to fall off ...
    You have a great way of expressing it! Made me laugh anyway, thanks.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    It would be nice to offer them a chance to rectify that though, wouldn't it?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington