Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brass Band websites taken too seriously?

tMP Friend

Question Brass Band websites taken too seriously?

Is it possible that the brass band forums like this one are taken a little seriously by the movements elite? Im a member of many football forums and Sir Alex never rings the owner to complain about whats being said. Shouldn't the "Kings of Brass" and "Dynasties" of our hobby be a little less interested in what we are discussing and saying here? I can't think of an example of another environment where legal threats and discussion moderation is quite so attentive to the plebeians and commoners like most of us.Or is the band world so small and fragile that someone here can really effect the Big Boys and Girls of the dykes and Grimeys of this world?

I have seeen some discussions on here get heated and personal. So if the person being discussed had something to say in reply to set things straight then Why not let them.
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass

tMP Senior Friend Bob Sherunkle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitzer View Post
    Or is the band world so small and fragile that someone here can really effect the Big Boys and Girls of the dykes and Grimeys of this world?

I saw that Andrew Bannister walking his whippets this morning. He was muttering to himself "how dare anyone insinuate that there are any big girls in Grimey" as he tied a letter addressed to his solicitors to the leg of a pigeon.

Amazing really.

I had no idea he knew the word "insinuate"

Your man on the park bench

Bob
    The voice of reason

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Tuba View Post
    I have seeen some discussions on here get heated and personal. So if the person being discussed had something to say in reply to set things straight then Why not let them.
    Banding is a small introspective world. The acid test is that if it stopped tomorrow the world wouldn't even flitch. Alas that it also true of most minority sports and pastimes. So the rhetoric is always going to be self perpetuating. Alas when explaining to people my interests outside of work I prefer to saying gardening rather than even try to explain the rationale behind a contesting band. After thousands of attempts ive had enough of the looks I receive of disbelief at the hours put in for reward.

tMP Friend in Training
    Is it possible that the brass band forums like this one are taken a little seriously by the movements elite? Im a member of many football forums and Sir Alex never rings the owner to complain about whats being said. Shouldn't the "Kings of Brass" and "Dynasties" of our hobby be a little less interested in what we are discussing and saying here? I can't think of an example of another environment where legal threats and discussion moderation is quite so attentive to the plebeians and commoners like most of us.Or is the band world so small and fragile that someone here can really effect the Big Boys and Girls of the dykes and Grimeys of this world?
    Surely you don't have this problem here? Why on earth would Bob Childs or Howard Snell care what we say here? I'm brand new here, but almost had an interview to have my account activated. Is the "elite" as you call it really so interested in what I say?

Also, what would happen if I thought a player had performed badly at a contest and said so here in the adjudicators comments? Obviously the individual may not like it, but surely in a contesting environment the negative comments are as valuable a positive?
    Last edited by catastraphone; 18.05.2012 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by catastraphone View Post
    Surely you don't have this problem here? Why on earth would Bob Childs or Howard Snell care what we say here? I'm brand new here, but almost had an interview to have my account activated. Is the "elite" as you call it really so interested in what I say?

Also, what would happen if I thought a player had performed badly at a contest and said so here in the adjudicators comments? Obviously the individual may not like it, but surely in a contesting environment the negative comments are as valuable a positive?
    The likes of the Childs' and Mr Snell are not interested in what goes on here on tMP, you're right. As to it being true or not, I had heard that Dyke members were specifically told not to post or get involved with discussions on tMP. At one time when I spoke to one of the the Childs (can't remember which eminent one it was, Robert or Nick) to ask if he might be interested in conducting a charity scratch tMP band at Pontins, I was told in no uncertain terms that he didn't do those sort of things. Hey ho.

However, in my time owning tMP I have received one or two physical threats, many complaining telephone calls, a myriad emails, and more worryingly - several legal threats (by senior, well respected people of the banding world, and also by nobs - nuff said) and you may jest... but legal fees to sort some of these items has cost me personally, well into 4 figures.

Aren't I the hero eh!

I am really sorry to hear that you have had to pay for legal fees over things said on tMP, John. This forum has and continues to provide a valuable and useful resource and chatroom for me and other bandsmen and women. That should not happen - you and the mods provide this service free of charge. You are my heroes.
    Solo Eb Bass The Eagley Band, Recent Compo, occasional stick-wagger and Tune Assoc. Leader and General Good Egg.
    -------------------------------------
    Si me castigare vis, necesse est me intellexisse.
    Puppy juggler wannabe

Ha, I'm no hero Mike, I always said when I started tMP that I did it for the majority of banding peeps, those who rarely get the chance to be heard, and not necessarily those who tread in circles with the elite and higher echelons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    However, in my time owning tMP I have received one or two physical threats, many complaining telephone calls, a myriad emails, and more worryingly - several legal threats (by senior, well respected people of the banding world, and also by nobs - nuff said) and you may jest... but legal fees to sort some of these items has cost me personally, well into 4 figures. Aren't I the hero eh!
    You certainly are and I salute you !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Quote Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
    Ha, I'm no hero Mike, I always said when I started tMP that I did it for the majority of banding peeps, those who rarely get the chance to be heard, and not necessarily those who tread in circles with the elite and higher echelons.
    Just where is that "Like" button ?

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Quote Originally Posted by iancwilx View Post
    Just where is that "Like" button ?

~ Mr Wilx
    Haha Ian, now you're taking the mickey... hehe...

It's all good fun (most of the time), and while it lasts I'll continue with tMP as long as I can.

tMP Friend in Training
    Very interesting.

I'm far from being a "Big Boy" but that hasn't stopped you having a pop at me in the past. Go ahead and spread your poison - you'll always end up with a bigger dose of it than anyone else. BTW, we never did meet up for that friendly drink. Next year at The Brangwyn?

Im a member of many football forums and Sir Alex never rings the owner to complain about whats being said.
    I used to run the major fan run website for a League One football team. I went through 5 chairman and 3 managers during my time running the site. I can assure you that every single one of the chairman and several of the managers, not to mention chief exec, ticket office manager all the way down to the kitman rang me frequently about posts on the forum. You may think what we write on here isn't important but it is read and if it's hurtful, will hurt those you post about.

Given my experience above I can also sympathise directly with those that run the site regarding legals and even threats. I had the same experience and was one of the reasons I gave it up.
    Paul Williams
    Percussion
    www.woodfallsband.com
    Up the Cherries...in all departments!

Quote Originally Posted by fartycat View Post
    I used to run the major fan run website for a League One football team. I went through 5 chairman and 3 managers during my time running the site. I can assure you that every single one of the chairman and several of the managers, not to mention chief exec, ticket office manager all the way down to the kitman rang me frequently about posts on the forum. You may think what we write on here isn't important but it is read and if it's hurtful, will hurt those you post about.

Given my experience above I can also sympathise directly with those that run the site regarding legals and even threats. I had the same experience and was one of the reasons I gave it up.
    Thanks Paul... yep, I am with you there... got the t-shirt and red the book... constantly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast