Thread: Brass Retailers UK

tMP Newbie

Brass Retailers UK

My son is looking for a new trumpet. Unfortunately in South Africa there is a VERY limited range of instruments - mainly Yamaha, anything else has to be imported. Quite risky when you have never put your lips to the horn and you are paying quite a bit of money for it. He is planning a trip to London / Spain in July, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a store or factory that stocks a wide range of instuments that he could try out. He is quite keen on Taylor, Conn Vintage 1 and Schilke. I know Andy Taylor is in Norwich, but is there anywhere in London that carries stock of his instruments? Would be grateful for any help here.....

He should also take a look at Eclipse Trumpets.
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

tMP Friend in Training
    Phil Parker is in London. The Eclipse factory is a short trin ride fom London so may be worth a visit. You need to agree a time to visit in advance.

tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    I'm not sure if anyone holds stock of Taylor other than himself but Phil Parker Ltd would be a good bet for the others. It's a short walk from Baker Street tube station and carries a good selection of secondhand as well as new.

Well, surely you have to consider Smith Watkins, http://www.smithwatkins.com/home.html . Derek Watkins is probably the most commercially aware and fantastic trumpeters in the world. He has worked with Richard Smith since 1974.

Any serious trumpet player surely has to consider them!
    Last edited by SteveT; 11.05.2012 at 11:54. Reason: spelling
    Stephen Tighe

MD, Adjudicator, Arranger, Tutor.