Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International Tuba Day

tMP Friend in Training

International Tuba Day

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Silver Band View Post
    I believe it's International Tuba Day. Celebrate appropriately!!!!!!!!
    Independant Silver Band has just drawn my attention to this... which I initially believed to be a joke... but thanks to the power of google I discovered http://tubaday.com may I suggest that we celebrate with a slice of virtual cake, and a discussion of our favourite tuba solos?

I shall kick off by saying I like the Czardas Eb Ben has and hate Fnugg, because Eb Ben likes to practice it far too much.

In honour of this day, I've just dug out "Zelda" and made a right pigs ear of it on my Eb !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

I shall be saving myself for this evening's rehearsal at Shepherds, I'll need all the energy I've got for that (especially if "Year of the Dragon" makes an appearance again!!)

Darryl
    University of York Brass Band - Percussion Section (North of England Championship Section)

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iancwilx View Post
    In honour of this day, I've just dug out "Zelda" and made a right pigs ear of it on my Eb !

~ Mr Wilx
    How many other people would by Wilky a pint to hear him play Zelda?
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Buy. Buy.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

tMP Friend in Training
    does that make three pints? or just two bought correctly? three pints seems a lot of beer for one piece of music, and one must be wary with bass players, they don't fall over or pass out after drinking too much, they simply carry on playing- but with even fewer of the right notes where they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec View Post
    How many other people would by Wilky a pint to hear him play Zelda?
    You wouldn't enjoy the experience, (But I'd be sozzled !) I promise you. I was ashamed and considered putting my Eb on Ebay !!
    Seriously, it was soooo bad I just may start a daily prac session. Right, long notes first then tongue and finger articulation exercises. Dedega Dedega (My style) is a long way down the line !!

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Friend
    I did Celestial Morn, 2nd movement of Salt of the Earth, and for a laugh The Old Rustic Bridge ( SA )
    Principal EEb Bass - Norwich Citadel Band of The Salvation Army. www.norwichcitadelband.org.uk

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    If I had actually taken the tuba home to practice, I would have played Higgyjig, followed by variations on Ivor the Engine, with the Elgar Cello Concerto arr for Euph (at pitch) as an encore
    Nothing to see

In the end we didn't do "Year of the Dragon" (Phew!! ), just ran the programme for tomorrow night's concert in Selby Abbey and finished with another of Mr. Sparke's excellent pieces - "Tallis Variations" Excellent!

Darryl
    University of York Brass Band - Percussion Section (North of England Championship Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
    I did Celestial Morn, 2nd movement of Salt of the Earth, and for a laugh The Old Rustic Bridge ( SA )
    Celestial Morn is beyond me. Steve Butler played it out a couple of times with Kippax but it was beyond the audience as well ! (They obviously preferred funny novelty tuba solos)

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Friend in Training
    (They obviously preferred funny novelty tuba solos)
    Oh my isn't the big man funny- look his face is going all red, oh he's doing a little dance, who'd have thought it could make such high noises.it's a shame so many MDs seem to like the same, give the haunting melodies to the cornets or horns, and whenever you fear the programme may be getting a little melancholy stick a comedy bass solo in, if you are really lucky you can dress the bass player up too.

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy_Gracie View Post
    does that make three pints? or just two bought correctly? three pints seems a lot of beer for one piece of music, and one must be wary with bass players, they don't fall over or pass out after drinking too much, they simply carry on playing- but with even fewer of the right notes where they should be.
    So this bass player walks past a bar...it could happen?!
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DublinBass View Post
    So this bass player walks past a bar........
    1/1000 No
    40/1 Yes

Unless of course you are talking bar in the musical sense!
    Nothing to see

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadaz View Post
    ....and finished with another of Mr. Sparke's excellent pieces - "Tallis Variations" Excellent!
    If even a tenth of the BB parts I see in a band setting were that good I'd be happy never to be on my feet in front of a band again.

Considering getting the old euph solo of 'Blaydon Races' out on BB - but probably best for the banding public as a whole if I don't. Not that I can't play it - quite the opposite - just that when played on tuba it panders to every bass solo stereotype imaginable.....
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast