Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I switch to bass?

tMP Friend in Training
    If I were you I'd stick with the BBb bass, learn a couple of marches and you could name your own price for Whit Friday!

tMP Friend in Training
    If I were you I'd stick with the BBb bass, learn a couple of marches and you could name your own price for Whit Friday!
    not sure I said anywhere I want to carry it! (tuesday night it took 2 blokes to manouver it into my mitts... but that may be more to do with Men's perceptions of what a lady can manage!) though that must have something to do with the lack of players... you have to be young fit and strong to walk with that beastie, let alone march!!

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy_Gracie View Post
    (tuesday night it took 2 blokes to manouver it into my mitts... but that may be more to do with Men's perceptions of what a lady can manage!)

No I dare'nt say a thing !

tMP Friend in Training
    not sure I said anywhere I want to carry it! (tuesday night it took 2 blokes to manouver it into my mitts... but that may be more to do with Men's perceptions of what a lady can manage!) though that must have something to do with the lack of players... you have to be young fit and strong to walk with that beastie, let alone march!!
    Ah, but you don't have to play on the approach, and you could get your two aides to carry it for you,and then just have to hold it whilst playing on the stand. Thinking about it you could get them to carry a stool as well so you could sit whilst playing!

I'm disappointed that you think 28 is no longer young, makes me feel positively ancient!

I'm not going to get too grumpy, but why do people suggest that if they might not make the grade on a horn or cornet, they might have a better chance on BB? There seem to be quite a few bands peeps who see the BB as the refuge of the mediocre. OK we don't get much solo work and there is more than enough oompahing to do, but then you get gems like the start of the fugue in Essence of Time or the lovely pedals in Canterbury Chorale.

Playing a BB is a physical challenge unlike any other instrument in the band and if you really want to try, come and march for a mile and a half through Silksworth, then through Durham and back and finish with another mile and a half through Silksworth in afternoon with our band for the Durham Miners Gala.

Lithe one thing is, if you do decide to try BB, you will need to start learning to play all over again, there is the new technique of pedalling to master plus knowing when to drop the octave and more important when not to. If you tame the beast and can learn how to breathe through your backside then you could find it a rewarding experience, just don't think of it as an easy option!

tMP Friend in Training
    Can I just say to that I never suggested I wanted to switch to bass as an easy option! I'm married to a bass player! It's more that I play in anover full horn section, I know there are lots of horn players, very few bass players, and I was asking if a switch to bass at this point in my learning was a good idea for my own furtherance (note furtherance not easy option) and whether more people ought to be willing to maker the switch

tMP Friend in Training
    Oh and have silksworth reformed?

Can I just say to that I never suggested I wanted to switch to bass as an easy option! I'm married to a bass player! It's more that I play in anover full horn section, I know there are lots of horn players, very few bass players, and I was asking if a switch to bass at this point in my learning was a good idea for my own furtherance (note furtherance not easy option) and whether more people ought to be willing to maker the switch
    Not an individual criticism I can assure you and I would love to see more people taking up the tuba. I have seen many bands where players migrated to BB as they progressed through the sections and never settling. It is a monster of an instrument and getting the quality and depth of sound from a wide bore Sovereign or Xeno needs a technique significantly different to even that of the Eflat bass. I have seen great EE players pick up a BB and blow a few notes, put it down and vow never to cross swords with one ever again.

The one thing that is certain is if you stick To horn you might get to be a soloist, if you play E flat bass you could be a soloist, if you play BB, the word solo does not enter your vocabulary.

Oh and have silksworth reformed?
    No, Shepherd Group Band from York play for them.

tMP Friend in Training
    In your initial post you noted that you'd not been playing very long ( around a year ?).

Everybody who plays Bass seems to suggest that you need plenty of air to blow one: I'd suggest that it may be a good development for your lung capacity and breath control which should in turn improve your horn playing (should you ever deci

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophile View Post
    I have seen EEb players pick up a BB and blow a few notes, put it down and vow never to cross swords with one ever again.
    I did just that. A great instrument that can produce gorgeous sounds, but the beast was too much much for me to handle ~ hated playing it, but love listening to one in the right hands.

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophile View Post
    if you play E flat bass you could be a soloist, if you play BB, the word solo does not enter your vocabulary.
    I'd consider that a major plus point for BBb Ha ! Ha !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

tMP Friend in Training
    yes see I'd also be besting Eb Ben in that- he won't touch the Bb, says it's all far too close together! and again the idea of avoiding solo work is appealing!

havn't seen many solo's for 2nd horn either
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast