Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Finals test piece (Rumours/thoughts)

Quite frankly, who cares?
    Donna Towse

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by towse1972 View Post
    There are those of us on here, who feel it their duty to supply the banding fraternity with an opportunity to indulge in the activity of clarevoyanccy. Admittedly most of us are rubbish at it, so I bow to your apathy, and will never mention it again
    Nothing to see

What about Three Saints for 4th, Three Impressions for brass for 3rd, Renaissance for 2nd & a new piece for 1st??????????

With regards to players in your band, if your lucky enough to have attracted them to join, WELL DONE.
    David W Ashworth.
    Musical Director. Conductor, Band Trainer and Adjudicator.
    www.boarshurstband.com
    www.david-ashworth.co.uk
    www.FANFARENORTH.COM
    david.w.ashworth@gmail.com

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by towse1972 View Post
    Quite frankly- why comment then ?

tMP Friend in Training
    Everytime we wait for a test-piece announcement I hope for Harrison's Dream to make a reappearance! I know it won't be selected for London as it was used in 2000 but I can but dream..........
    welsh_tenor
    The foundation of any band is the backrow!

tMP Senior Friend sopranoplayer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
    Lots more than 2 or 3 in that Darwen lot my friend, plus their performance graduates. Still, as you say, it don't mean they will win. I heard them@ Tameside on Oceans. AWESOME ! and Parr were excellent. Now, back to the rumours,. A tenner on a Goff Richards piece. (Straight from the horses mouth, or horses head in my case). Corleone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sopranoplayer View Post
    Care to expand on your first sentence.... Godfather?
    Just rumours, or maybe thoughts? Nice band, too far to travel, or I might have auditioned for your 2nd euph position.
    I knew that but thanks for the confirmation

Just another thought for 1st section
    Carnival Overture by Dvorak arr G Brand
    Looking forward to 2013 with so much in stall

Quote Originally Posted by ian perks View Post
    1st section:Waverley Overture;Would just be great for 1st section bands
    What is this fixation with outdated arrangements of classical overtures? With "Carnival Romain" and "Forza del Destino" in recent years, don't you think the 1st section has suffered enough?
    Do you really not believe that in close to 100 years of original test-piece writing for brass bands there aren't any suitable for the 1st Section finals? And that's not to mention the sizeable library of SA literature, the surface of which has barely been scratched; I happen to think "The Holy War" (RSA) would be an excellent choice for 1st Section ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    I once read something about how any given person tends to imagine a 'golden age' as having taken place in the 20 years or so around their birth. I'm not sure exactly when Ian was born, but I suspect that it was somewhere around 1963 or so, which would place his 'golden age' taste squarely in the era of Frank Wright and all those arrangements. Am I close, Ian?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Friend in Training
    Lots more than 2 or 3 in that Darwen lot my friend, plus their performance graduates. Still, as you say, it don't mean they will win. I heard them@ Tameside on Oceans. AWESOME ! and Parr were excellent. Now, back to the rumours,. A tenner on a Goff Richards piece. (Straight from the horses mouth, or horses head in my case). Corleone.
    Thank you for your comment about our performance at Tameside Corleone. We were all pleased with our performance. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You do get about the country listening to bands. Hell of a way for you to travel on a Sunday morning ---- Lots of dedication there I think. You should have made yourself known to us ---- we could have enjoyed a beer and a sandwich together, and had a real banding chat, Never mind,I'm sure we will meet up very soon. I look forward to it.
    Steve Hartley

M.D. Darwen Brass

Quote Originally Posted by welsh_tenor View Post
    Everytime we wait for a test-piece announcement I hope for Harrison's Dream to make a reappearance! I know it won't be selected for London as it was used in 2000 but I can but dream..........
    Lets give it to the third section then....

To be honest I don't really care what pieces are picked as we're not going (booo! Not that I'm bitter or anything...) but pleeeaaaase no more Frank Wright / Berlioz / overture arrangements. We're better than that. It would be nice to see some pieces by our up-and-coming composers, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Ian Hayto | Flugel | Enderby Band

tMP Friend in Training
    How about Fireworks (Elgar Howarth) for the first section? According to Brass Band Results website not used as a set test piece since the Open in 1975. Shirley worth another outing?

tMP Friend in Training
    Partita ---- Gregson ----- for the 4th Section
    Steve Hartley

M.D. Darwen Brass

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    What is this fixation with outdated arrangements of classical overtures? With "Carnival Romain" and "Forza del Destino" in recent years, don't you think the 1st section has suffered enough?
    Do you really not believe that in close to 100 years of original test-piece writing for brass bands there aren't any suitable for the 1st Section finals? And that's not to mention the sizeable library of SA literature, the surface of which has barely been scratched; I happen to think "The Holy War" (RSA) would be an excellent choice for 1st Section ...
    +1 :

You could easily pick something like 'Truth aflame' as a test-piece as well. It certainly tricky enough, and is an absolutely great piece to listen to. Maybe as a 2nd section finals piece?
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    Thank you for your comment about our performance at Tameside Corleone. We were all pleased with our performance. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You do get about the country listening to bands. Hell of a way for you to travel on a Sunday morning ---- Lots of dedication there I think. You should have made yourself known to us ---- we could have enjoyed a beer and a sandwich together, and had a real banding chat, Never mind,I'm sure we will meet up very soon. I look forward to it.
    My passion and pastime is brass banding Maestro, and my roots are in the Northwest. I visit as often as my 'family' commitments permit. Perhaps we will meet at the national finals. Who knows? A rumour is circulating in the LSC region that you will get Anglian Dances, but we must wait and see my friend. CORLEONE.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast