Thread: Lip problem.

tMP Senior Friend

Lip problem.

Hey Guys..

Ever since before christmas i'v been having trouble with my lip. It seems like after a hard blow in a practice or concert etc my top lip seems to flare up and go all red. I have tryed a few different mouthpiece.. This still happens... Seems to stay up for about a week or so... Keep having to put this chop saver stuff on it at least twice a day...

Has anyone had anything simular in past? Or know anyone that had? And has a soultion? Getting on my nerves now...

Thanks in advance

Matt
    BBb bass Camborne Town Band

tMP Master Friend
    considering your name suggests that you are a bass player, there is only one thing left for you mate.............

.................DRUMS !!!!!

tMP Friend in Training Gazabone's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by matt_BBb_bass View Post
    Hey Guys..

Ever since before christmas i'v been having trouble with my lip. It seems like after a hard blow in a practice or concert etc my top lip seems to flare up and go all red. I have tryed a few different mouthpiece.. This still happens... Seems to stay up for about a week or so... Keep having to put this chop saver stuff on it at least twice a day...

Has anyone had anything simular in past? Or know anyone that had? And has a soultion? Getting on my nerves now...

Thanks in advance

Matt
    Hi mate, bear in mind you've just started playing in a top section outfit, you're probably blowing harder than you're used to. Try easing back a bit and see what happens. Always worth a session with a good, experienced brass tutor too.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    You say you've tried a few mouthpieces - does it happen on plastic ones? (Or at least ones with a plastic rim)
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Senior Friend
    I haven't tryed plastic... Good shout... I shell try it out!
    BBb bass Camborne Town Band

Quote Originally Posted by matt_BBb_bass View Post
    I haven't tryed plastic... Good shout... I shell try it out!
    before you do, check a couple of other things. Check the hygienic aspects of mouthpiece care, make sure that your mouthpiece is clean before you play (especially if you are using other peoples equipment), this is no slur on them, but always consider cross infection. check the the plating on the mouthpiece is not damaged and that you are not reacting to the base metal, and don't shave immediately before you play, it can irritate sensitive and damaged skin,

Matthew Matthew Matthew.

You sat through months of me complaining about that!

Like the above post says, make sure your mouthpiece is properly cleaned. But from your description, which sounds similar to the problems I had, you could be allergic to nickel. It's more common than you might think, and you become sensitised to it over a number of years. As you're probably playing more than ever, this could be why it's now rearing it's head.

Try plastic. You can ask your doc to refer you for a patch test, which is what I had done. This confirmed the allergy for me. Then you can go to the expense of getting your mouthpiece gold plated (I play on gold and have no problems at all) - I'll recommend a good guy!

The other possibility is that it's a moisture thing. If you've taken to licking your lips before playing, and you're doj g it all the time, it can make them very sore.

But my advice is to try the plastic, and get tested

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

i'd go stainless before using plastic. LOUD is a good option, I'd not use anything else.
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Funny, I saw that you'd posted to this thread, and I thought to myself 'I know what he's said!'. A good option if you like the LOUD mouthpiece designs and also like stainless steel (some claim not to) - also worth noting that they were experiencing production problems with low brass mouthpieces last time I heard anything about them (last year). Mind you, they're advertising tuba mouthpieces on their website (http://www.loudmouthpieces.com/), so hopefully they are over whatever the problem was.

Plastic does not mean second-rate, as seems to be often assumed - some people have difficulty getting on with an all-plastic mouthpiece, some experience no trouble. In my experience it often comes down to how mouthpiece-dependent the player in question's embouchure is - my theory is that those who are used to getting a lot of vibrational feedback through the mouthpiece rim via higher pressure tend to dislike them. Kelly is the most well-known maker, and they're cheap, so worth a few quid for a punt to see whether the concept works for Matt before he maybe thinks about shelling out on something four times the price. Josef Klier also make plastic versions - Emma Farrow plays on one.

What I would suggest as the 'ultimate' solution is Doug Elliott - http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/. These mouthpieces come in three parts - rim, cup and shank. Cup and shank are always the standard metal, but you can buy a plastic rim. These mouthpieces are *very* well thought of - let nobody claim that a plastic-rimmed Elliott mouthpiece is in any way inferior to any of the standard makes. Not cheap (but then LOUD mouthpieces aren't either!), but you can dial in exactly the rimsize, cup depth and backbore openness combination that suits your playing best.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

I must add over here in Australia with our dollar up at the moment I can buy a Loud Mpc for the same as I can buy a Dennis Wick so price is dependant on where you are and how good your currancy is. My post was not with price in mind. I have owned a Loud mpc for 3-4 years now and I won't touch any thing else.
    Seems i have only heard unfavorable reports on Plastic but personly never tried one. I am not against trying one, I just havn't found a seller over here in Aus and havn't realy looked on the net. If you can get some mpc's from a retailer on apro give a few a try before spending you money. It can be an expensive exersize when buying several before making a decision.
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass