+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Williams

tMP Friend in Training SCABA Media's Avatar

John Williams

It is with the greatest of sadness and heavy heart that scaba anounnces the passing of their wonderful President John Williams. John lost his battle with cancer yesterday, 18th March.

At this stage we have no further details but as soon as we do they will be posted on the scaba website - scaba.co.uk

The brass band movement is going to be a poorer place without John, he brought so much to music and had such a wondeful undertanding of the music and the musicians. So many have now lost a fantastic, loyal and true friend.

Our thoughts are very much with Mary and his family.

...... we of course must not lose sight of his exuberant ties and braces - oh and socks!!

God bless and rest in peace without pain. xxx
    Last edited by SCABA Media; 19.03.2012 at 14:22. Reason: spelling!

I had the privilege to both know and serve with John many moons ago........he was a mate......and a super person. Glad we had chance for a natter last year.

I was lucky enough to know John for about 25 years and play for him in two different bands.
    He was a larger than life character, always jolly and positive, always a good friend and support to anyone who needed one, and he will be very sadly missed (including his unique fashion sense!).

John touched so many lives, the area contest was bittersweet for many of us yesterday but it was a wonderful place to hear the news and share the sadness and memories of a lovely man. I'd like to think he was looking down on us saying cheer up you daft b*ggers....
    Alex

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    John was always up for a chat at Folkestone once the playing was done and dusted. One year, he was stick wagging with Chichester and went on stage with the maximum 32 players allowed, and we in the audience nearly fainted when 6 trombones went on stage! Afterwards I said it must be great having such a large pool to pick a contest band from, especially having six bones when (at the time) so many SCABA bands seemed to be short of them. John laughed, and said, "True, but I still have to tell them to play louder!"

Rest in Peace, John.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

John's funeral will be held at noon on Tuesday 10th April in Chichester Crematorium.
    Family flowers only please, donations to St Wilfred's Hospice.

I am collecting tributes and stories to put into a memorial book for Mary on behalf of scaba. If you would like to contribute please message me here or email fgb@alexvicary.co.uk.

scaba are also arranging a memorial concert to be held in May; date tbc, band to be made up of any players who have worked with John and want to be involved. If you would like to take part please let me know.

thank you.
    Alex

tMP Friend in Training Basstiger's Avatar
    A little guy with a huge personality. Very funny man. You will be very sadly missed. RIP x
    If you're going to drop a clanger, drop a good 'un!
    www.warehamtownband.co.uk

Very sad

Wonderful man who made banding a pleasure and knew how to entertain an audience.

Enjoyed my time playing for him at Chichester. RIP John

tMP Friend in Training Oxted Band's Avatar
    John was a former MD of Oxted some years ago, and we've of course had more recent contact with him over the years as President of Scaba.

Unfortunately, I never met John, having only relatively recently joined Oxted, but a number of our members spoke of what a lovely gentleman and fantastic MD he was, when we had a moment for him in practice last night. We then closed practice by playing Penlan, which I understand was one of his favourite hymn tunes.
    Oxted Band
    twitter: twitter.com/oxtedband

tMP Friend in Training
    John was a lovely, friendly, encouraging man. His support for me in my role as scaba Contest Secretary was unstinting. Even when he was poorly, he would always ring and discuss upcoming contests, making helpful suggestions and encouraging me. He took great delight in discussing music and former Services colleagues with my husband, Ian. Mary would raise her eyebrows and smile at me - and go and put the kettle on!

John will be greatly missed by both of us.

R.I.P. John

Jane & Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Oxted Band View Post
    We then closed practice by playing Penlan, which I understand was one of his favourite hymn tunes.
    Your right, i'm pretty sure we played it at least once a practice at Chichester

scaba are organising a Thanksgiving concert for John Williams, to be held on Saturday 09 June at St Paulís Church in Chichester.
    The band will be made up of players from bands John conducted in the South, and our conductor will be David Hirst.
    Proceeds from the concert will be donated to St Wilfrid's, the hospice in Chichester who looked after John and Mary so well.

Iíve set up a new Facebook Group to try and keep all the info about the concert in one place. We have plenty of room for more players, so if you want to get involved please get in touch with me here, on FB or by email to fgb@alexvicary.co.uk

and yes, Penlan is on the programme
    Alex

tMP Senior Friend
    Sad news. Our MD is planing to say a few words and lead the band through a verse of The Day thou Gavest and the arrangement of his music from Schindlers list tomorrow night. RIP.

scaba are presenting a Thanksgiving Concert in John's memory this Saturday 9th June, 7.30pm at St Paul's Church in Chichester.

David Hirst will be conducting a band made up of people from 21 bands around the South of England who played for John in different bands over the years, playing some of John and his wife Mary's favourite pieces. The concert is free, with a retiring collection in aid of St Wilfrid's Hospice, Chichester.
    If you're in the area and knew John or just enjoy good music, please come along!

more information on the scaba website and facebook.
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread