Thread: Brass Bands and Rock Bands

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar

Brass Bands and Rock Bands

Our brass band played a St. Patrick's Day gig yesterday and the band following us asked if we could team up with them for a song. I have to admit it was pretty fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiwR_72nGA).

Does anybody have an other good examples/stories/videos of teaming up with rock bands? What songs work well?

I think I remember Redbridge teaming up with somebody at Glastonbury a few years back?
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

tMP Friend
    Our band did this a couple of years ago with a local rock group who drink in the same pub as us. We were invited to one of their gigs to play a few Christmas carols (and collect for our own band) and then we had a set list of Christmas music that we played with them. For their last spot a few of us went back on stage (just cornets and trombones) and were their backing band. "Mustang Sally" and "Hard to Handle" were awesome. If I find the rest of the set list I'll let you know. We're currently trying to organise another gig with them and are planning on playing "Thriller", "Crazy in Love" and "God Put a Smile on your Face".

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    That's great! Please do share your set list (or at least the ones that work well)!
    Eb Bass
    Dublin Community Bands
    http://www.facebook.com/DublinBands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSB at the Sage May '11.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	3050

Totally does work - hopefully this picture has uploaded and you can see how we did it. So many good songs - check out the videos on my bands facebook page (Dunston Silver Band) - absolutely amazing experience. Playing the Sage again next week, this time there will be a smaller selection of the brass band in order to form a big band to go with the rock band for a James Bond music set.
    Louise Wright
    Euphonium - Dunston Silver Band

Its a case of been prepared for the moment, but not much preparation (music) is out there.
    Most Guitar based bands will know 12 bar blues, as its the basis of almost all rock be it completely or in elements.
    When Guitarists jam they often fall into a blues rut in the same way a group of cornet players will recite the back end of the Arban.

FMFK has a Blues number that would be ideal for a Guitar band to easily join in with 'big blues for little bands'
    Although its not a common key for Guitarists its a LOT eaisier for them to play to a key more common to us.
    I would bet good money that any Guitar band would find it very easy to jam along with this brass band piece on the spur of the moment.

And its FREE

Yeah all the music that we have ever done like this was arranged for us by our MD/resident composer, I would imagine there's not a lot out there to just buy.
    Louise Wright
    Euphonium - Dunston Silver Band

Quote Originally Posted by louise0502 View Post
    Yeah all the music that we have ever done like this was arranged for us by our MD/resident composer, I would imagine there's not a lot out there to just buy.
    Have a look on the Leyland website. They did a collaboration last year with a band called Dresden. The video is on there.
    Alan Hodgkinson
    BBb Bass
    DOUBLE OPEN AND NATIONAL FINAL CHAMPIONS 2012
    Any opinions or thoughts posted on here are mine and mine alone.

Brilliant, cheers for sharing. Maybe something I'll look into, we've got a few rock band players in our band...
    George Annan
    Conductor: Perthshire Brass
    Before seeking to be understood, seek first to understand.

Yeah, when I was with Redbridge, we teamed up with Hot Chip to play at Glastonbury (I think there are clips on YouTube still). That was fun and must be the biggest brass band audience ever haha!)
    Simon
    simon@brassbander.com