Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Composers not yet 'lost' to brass bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Anno Draconis View Post
    Alan Hope, Brian Buckley, John Maines and Richard Evans are the current music panel.
    Well , there you go then.....
    Fiona Rolfe

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jockinafrock View Post
    Well , there you go then.....
    Can't think what you mean

To be fair, this very panel picked Pentacle a few years ago, which I think is a superb piece, and got a load of flak for it. It's a bit of a thankless task - slated by newer music fans every time they revert to Ball and Vinter, slated by traditionalists every time they pick something new and different (Ian Perks, j'accuse...)

I've got another suggestion - Benedict Mason. If you get chance, listen to Lighthouses of England and Wales, it's ace.
    Andrew Baker

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    And they picked some piece about King Arthur too!!
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

The thing is with all these suggestions, someone's got to pay for a new commission. The only organisation in a position to do this for the Nationals is Kapitol, so put yourself in their shoes for a minute.

Option 1: Spend 4-6,000 commissioning a composer to write a piece for one of the sections at the Regionals.

Option 2: Pick a load of existing "tried and tested" pieces, costing nothing.

Is option 1 going to result in more bands entering, or in any way generate additional revenue for Kapitol - it being a private company, after all is said and done? I think we all know the answer to that one.
    Andrew Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec View Post
    And they picked some piece about King Arthur too!!
    Vaguely remember that, now you mention it. Wasn't as good as Pentacle, though!

I'm a big fan of the often suggested "rotation" system - over a three year cycle, pick a "golden oldie" (e.g. from pre-1970) or a transcription, a modern classic, a new piece or a recent commission from another band/contest. This could be applied to all 5 sections. So if you get Gems of Schubert this year at least you know there's a chance of Dances and Arias the year after.
    Andrew Baker

Alan Hope, Brian Buckley, John Maines and Richard Evans are the current music panel.
    Paul Holland and Gareth Ritter have also been added to the panel:
    http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=14765
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Can't think what you mean

I've got another suggestion - Benedict Mason. If you get chance, listen to Lighthouses of England and Wales, it's ace.
    He has in fact written a short piece for band - Line Drawing by Candlelight. He wrote it for Grimethorpe in the 1990's (I think). I heard it many years ago, but unfortunately can't remember much about it, because (surprise) it never gets played.
    Jim Yelland
    Hinckley

Somewhere between the gutter and the stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball View Post
    Or potentially look at restructuring the format of contesting altogether to allow the bands themselves to select more adventurous works?
    There is a version of this currently available, European entrant commissions something for own choice, The Open select it a couple of years later, then it finds its way to the Grand Shield. It's a shame that the format for the piece doesn't differ too much from loud/fast/daft time signature- slow/exposed- loud/fast/mostly huge ending.

Quote Originally Posted by The Once and Future Anno Draconis
    Option 1: Spend 4-6,000 commissioning a composer to write a piece for one of the sections at the Regionals.
    Or run a competition.

No prize money, just the privilege of having your piece used as a set work. Of course, there would be varying degrees of reward depending on who publishes a set work, and subsequent interest in the composer's other works, so there are benefits if there is no prize.

Quick straw poll of all the Sibelius composers (alright, Finale and Print Music and quill/quink brigades too) -

1. How many pieces do you have on tap that are (in your view) suitable to be used as a test piece.

2. Would you enter a competition where the only prize was your piece being used as a set work for the Regionals?

I'll start you with (1) three, and (2) yes.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

An afterthought - 3. Would you play in a band that was playing your piece as the set work... (I mean, what if you can't play the very notes you have written!?!?!?!?!?)
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Or run a competition.

No prize money, just the privilege of having your piece used as a set work. Of course, there would be varying degrees of reward depending on who publishes a set work, and subsequent interest in the composer's other works, so there are benefits if there is no prize.

Quick straw poll of all the Sibelius composers (alright, Finale and Print Music and quill/quink brigades too) -

1. How many pieces do you have on tap that are (in your view) suitable to be used as a test piece.

2. Would you enter a competition where the only prize was your piece being used as a set work for the Regionals?

I'll start you with (1) three, and (2) yes.
    (1) one complete and one in progress
    (2) undoubtedly - though not if this precluded properly testing and rehearsing it with a band, of course.
    (3) I'll let the conspiracy theorists handle that one.....

The only thing to bear in mind with this approach is that you're not likely to attract the highest level of composer with it - albeit you may well turn up some up-and-coming talent who will go on to great things.
    Last edited by Thirteen Ball; 20.03.2012 at 13:03.
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Somewhere between the gutter and the stars
    An afterthought - 3. Would you play in a band that was playing your piece as the set work... (I mean, what if you can't play the very notes you have written!?!?!?!?!?)

Anno Draconis may shed some light in this area...

ha ha ha

Why do you think I've never wagged Once and Future King at a contest? I mean, it's got 11/8 in it, for pity's sake.
    Andrew Baker

Oh, 11/8's easy. Pick any two consecutive non identical bars from most of the 1st Movement of Cross Patonce...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball
    (2) undoubtedly - though not if this precluded properly testing and rehearsing it with a band, of course
    I would think for a compo of such "magnitude" a band might be hired for a weekend to play shortlisted pieces.

Is this enough of an idea to take to Kapitol?
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    One supposes the other option is to simply forward your works for consideration to the various selection comittees.

I know Stan's enthusiastic about new repertoire for butlins, and I'm sure other contests will be too.

Shy bairns go hungry.....
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast