Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Registration, do we need it?

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by kierendinno View Post
    Looking at the majority of posts on here, the issue isn't really with registration, it's with the inflexibility of how things are currently for bands genuinely facing difficulties in turning a band out for a contest and the feeling that week before a major contest and something does go wrong that the rules aren't there to help them in that situation...
    registration system + lots of flexibility = no registration system + a load of paperwork
    The only point of a registration system is to remove flexibility. In fact, the heyday of the system was probably when living within 5 miles of the bandroom was part of the rules.

To have a system that works, we would first have to agree on what the aim of such a system would be. A lot of people seem to be saying that unspecified "cheating" is somehow being prevented - yet borrowing and transferring are OK and should be allowed.

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    The way to determine if someone is eligible to play for a band in a contest is to check if they are wearing the same uniform as the rest of them.
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Will the Sec View Post
    The way to determine if someone is eligible to play for a band in a contest is to check if they are wearing the same uniform as the rest of them.
    I think this is pretty much the final word on it really.

until all the bands start wearing exactly the same thing.....
    Alex

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    You wouldn't believe how many lower section contests Black Dyke lend their jackets out for...
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    You wouldn't believe how many lower section contests Black Dyke lend their jackets out for...
    My answer to that would be a very firm 'So what'.

If a player is associated with your band in some way and is happy to perform for them then that's simply the way it is.

The only criticism I can see of fielding the players you want, whenever you want, is that some bands may simply replace their existing players with better players come contest time. This can have one or more of several effects..

1) It could help to encourage the existing players to improve
    2) it could mix things up so that players experience different levels of playing, and different outlooks to playing
    3) it could put players off, ancd cause problems for the band long term

and plenty of others..

Regardless of the outcome, this is a thing for the band themselves (and/or each contest) to deal with and suffer the consequences (or benefits), and should have nothing to do with some centralised registration facility to police.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonorous View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, this is a thing for the band themselves (and/or each contest) to deal with and suffer the consequences (or benefits), and should have nothing to do with some centralised registration facility to police.
    I agree completely agree. Every band will run themselves in the way that works for them... if they choose to ship in "talent" for contests then find themselves with a weaker band for concerts then that's a risk they take - it works well for some bands and not so well for others.

There has often been talk on similar topics about how forward thinking our European cousins are - does anyone know what the registration rules and regulations are in say Norway or Sweden? (I don't and would be interested in knowing a bit more!).
    welsh_tenor
    The foundation of any band is the backrow!

Hmm. I've obviously not spent enough time being facetious on here recently. That's the second time in reasonably quick succession that a wry comment has been responded to as if it were serious.

[The point was to reference those many bands who model their jacket designs on Dyke's, btw...]

I will make an effort to spend more time being facetious in order to help people recognise it.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Banned
    Hmm. I've obviously not spent enough time being facetious on here recently. That's the second time in reasonably quick succession that a wry comment has been responded to as if it were serious.

[The point was to reference those many bands who model their jacket designs on Dyke's, btw...]

I will make an effort to spend more time being facetious in order to help people recognise it.
    Sorry Dave, didn't pick up on the quip But this is the sort of view people often (understandably) have so it was a worthy topic of debate anyway!

I don't think you missed out on much in the hilarity stakes...
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Friend for Life Will the Sec's Avatar
    Might I refer you to "Beachcomber"? He always rang a bell when he was about to be funny/facetious/sarcy etc, just so that everyone would know for certain.
    Last edited by Will the Sec; 08.08.2012 at 19:14. Reason: Forgot to add slmiley!
    Will Elsom

My Score Exchange Site

A man once accused of being able to write a melody...

A wise man once said, "Pointing out a fallacy in someone's argument is not the same as pedantically and persistently pushing it down someone's throat whilst completely ignoring other points that are made."

Banned
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/show...l=1#post817234

Says it all really. Who needs it!!

"So glad i'm on the other side of the world, just played at NZ nationals, no registry cards, no hassles, no complaints."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6