Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Registration, do we need it?

This is drifitng away from the original question, which was do we need registrations at all?

Imho yes, we do. You only have to look at some of the responses here and a dozen other threads about deps/ringers/cheating to see that a lot of people do still think some form of registration/ID & checking IS necessary. And as long as we need that, then I think the current system does the job just fine - registration cards are a photo ID for each player, any anomalies can be checked on or before the contest day so no bands are hanging around for days or weeks afterwards to see if their results are going to change, the cost to individual players is miminal, and only 1 person in each band has the extra stress of remembering the cards and looking after them.

Whether or not the rules attached to the registrations could do with some amending is another question...!
    Alex

tMP Senior Friend
    All the time the band that appears on the concert platform is not the same as the band that appears on the contest stage then the whole thing is a sham anyway - which band is the real band? I would suggest that it is the one comprised of players who attend lots of rehearsals and gigs rather than the band of people who appear on the contest stage. (although for some bands this may well be one and the same but I suspect they are in the minority).

tMP Friend
    An interesting read.

My feeling is that for some bands registration is more about ownership, it stops people helping out at contests where their band is competing as they might be from a higher sections or break some other rule.

In reality a "one band" rule would be easy to monitor and I can't see how it would result in a sudden rush of c̶h̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ borrowed higher section players.
    Chris Hatch - Soprano - Pendeen Band - Like Us On Facebook - Follow Us On Twitter
    Available for depping in West / Mid Cornwall on sop or Bb cornet.
    Affordable website design from Zedoary.
    Pendeen Band are recruiting - cornets, 2nd baritone, and BBb bass + all others welcome

tMP Senior Friend
    How would it be easy to monitor then, without some form of you know, registration process?

tMP Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    How would it be easy to monitor then, without some form of you know, registration process?
    Send a list of players, tick off players. No need for cards, transfers or fuss.
    Chris Hatch - Soprano - Pendeen Band - Like Us On Facebook - Follow Us On Twitter
    Pendeen Band are recruiting - cornets, 2nd baritone, and BBb bass + all others welcome

tMP Senior Friend
    you are assuming a need to monitor! The band world will NOT be set back 100 years not will it go into a terminal decline simply because we stop worrying about who the heck is on stage. If you stop monitoring, you might even stand a chance of having the real band on stage!

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHatch View Post
    Send a list of players, tick off players. No need for cards, transfers or fuss.
    Oh yes, can clearly see how that would stop people playing with more than one band!

tMP Friend
    Oh yes, can clearly see how that would stop people playing with more than one band!
    The current system doesn't stop them if they so got a mind. It's not like getting a registration card made up is difficult if you wanted to cheat the system.

However not having a card would not encourage more people to cheat, or make it less likely they would be caught if for some mad reason they wanted to cheat it.

As I see it, the problem is not the reality of whether or not more bands will cheat; the problem is the perception that it will be easier to cheat. The banding movement is already too fond of conspiracy theories ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

Wonder if this will have any effect?
    British Brass Band Registry Notice
    Industrial action

During the last nine months we the Registry assistants have tolerated undue burden due to the actions of the BFBB. These actions have resulted in extended absence of our Registry Manager Colin Johnson through work related illness.

During Colin’s illness we rely heavily upon guidance and support from Frank Hodges the Registry Line-Manager, who is also fulfilling his Line-Manager role by supporting Colin with his grievances against the BFBB.

We have just been informed that the BFBB have now removed Frank from the Registry and from the BFBB with immediate effect.

We consider the actions of the BFBB to be reckless, and manifestly unjust.

We now have no alternative but to take industrial action as we can no longer endure this extremely hostile behavior. We will therefore be withdrawing our service with immediate effect.

Bands concerned about imminent contests will need to contact the relevant Contest organisers.

We sincerely apologise for any problems this may cause to all the bands concerned and only hope that this is resolved as soon as possible. Please be assured that this decision is not taken lightly, but we have been left no with alternative.

Yours sincerely

Lynn Johnson and Ann Thorpe
    British Brass Band Registry
    Further details on 4barsrest here
    Last edited by tubafran; 23.07.2012 at 22:44.
    Mr Francis Hargate
    EEb Bass - Dronfield Genquip Band
    www.dronfieldband.co.uk

Can someone explain the relationship between the BFBB and the registry, I don't really understand where the problem is
    Bass Trom, Brackley & District Band, http://www.brackleyband.org.uk/

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

tMP Master Friend
    can someone explain why this hodges bloke was removed ?

tMP Senior Friend
    I think it is important that we do maintain a registry as you have an element of bands in our community that have the attitude 'win at any cost'. The borrowing of guest players has I know upset some bands at significant contests ie., Butlins. Key players borrowed from other bands to strengthen the band and some bands do this on a regular basis where the rules allow surely this is why we need the registry otherwise those less scrupulous bands would prosper.

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ophicliede View Post
    I think it is important that we do maintain a registry as you have an element of bands in our community that have the attitude 'win at any cost'. The borrowing of guest players has I know upset some bands at significant contests ie., Butlins. Key players borrowed from other bands to strengthen the band and some bands do this on a regular basis where the rules allow surely this is why we need the registry otherwise those less scrupulous bands would prosper.
    Less scrupulous bands? These are bands struggling to survive and need guest players to keep them going - they do it all year long on bandstands and concert stages around the country!

Archaic practices are killing the movement - the over reliance on contesting and all it's associated rules has killed enough bands over the years - will we never learn?
    It has also stifled the development of original works because of the contesting requirement for a 10-12 minute work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianroberts View Post
    can someone explain why this hodges bloke was removed ?
    :-/
    KP
    Soprano Cornet - The Milnrow Band
    Grand Shield Champions 2013
    National Finalists 2013
    British Open Qualifiers 2015

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast