Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the Bb bass players gone?

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Think yourself lucky you don't play a double bass or a harp...

Seriously -
    1) Isn't not being able to run a Smart car an understood occupational hazard if you want to play tuba?
    2) I can fit two EEb tubas in the back seat of my Clio - a pretty tiddly car. BBbs are more challenging, but go into any estate car if you fold a back seat down.
    3) With most bands it is possible to leave the tuba at the bandhall between rehearsals anyway if you have storage problems at home.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

I can deal with putting the bass in the back of my car, its a pain but I can put up with it.

The last band I was with found it such hard work to allow me to take the bass back to band room after the job, I thought I've had enough of this and guess what, they are still 2 bass player vacancies!
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

You do seem to have bad luck with the bands you run into!
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Me and Yorkshire bands don't get along, I don't think I will ever get along with them, I know why but I will offend most of the members here!! But maybe its time to pop over the border to the NW area!
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

Quote Originally Posted by StellaJohnson View Post
    Me and Yorkshire bands don't get along, I don't think I will ever get along with them, I know why but I will offend most of the members here!! But maybe its time to pop over the border to the NW area!
    Oh go on, Stella, tell us the story! We all want to know now!
    Matthew

BBb Tuba - Bass players can be 'Virtuosic' sometimes.....not often, just sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    Think yourself lucky you don't play a double bass or a harp...

Seriously -
    1) Isn't not being able to run a Smart car an understood occupational hazard if you want to play tuba?
    2) I can fit two EEb tubas in the back seat of my Clio - a pretty tiddly car. BBbs are more challenging, but go into any estate car if you fold a back seat down.
    3) With most bands it is possible to leave the tuba at the bandhall between rehearsals anyway if you have storage problems at home.

this is all true, but, if the question is where are we going to get BBb tuba players from, and we say to youngsters and their parents, by the way, you'll need to buy a bigger car (with all the associated extra costs - higher insurance, fuel consumption, car tax etc), is it any wonder that they might baulk at the prospect?
    As to point 2 I drive a Mondeo, and my tuba (in its case) fits in the boot. My insurance policy specifically excludes any damage incurred if it is transported without its hard case, and I think most of the damage done to tubas involves getting it in and out of a car. but seriously, if a band hires a van for the percussion section, why not take the BBb's too?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Oh go on, Stella, tell us the story! We all want to know now!
    Yorkshire Mentality, vast majority don't like outsiders, especially in West Yorkshire (exclude Leeds) and the deep dark south, they don't make an effort to make you welcome and expect you know where all the location of the gigs are even though you have only moved to the area for a short while.

Well you did ask, sorry to offend anyone but I don't care!!!
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

Quote Originally Posted by pbirch View Post
    but seriously, if a band hires a van for the percussion section, why not take the BBb's too?
    I've never played in a band that didn't do this - do other bands not?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    I've never played in a band that didn't do this - do other bands not?
    All the bands I have regrettably been to in Yorkshire have had a supporter or member who has a 4x4 and managed to put the percussion in the car. However its the bass players responsibility to transport there bass about and take it home. It is only when a lot of percussion is required they can be bothered to open the band room door and I can drop the bass off.
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaJohnson View Post
    All the bands I have regrettably been to in Yorkshire have had a supporter or member who has a 4x4 and managed to put the percussion in the car. However its the bass players responsibility to transport there bass about and take it home. It is only when a lot of percussion is required they can be bothered to open the band room door and I can drop the bass off.
    Not that you're generalising at all Stella....
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen Ball View Post
    Not that you're generalising at all Stella....
    The sentence started, all the bands I've been to in Yorkshire not all bands in Yorkshire. I cannot comment on ones I haven't been to!!
    Last edited by StellaJohnson; 14.03.2012 at 11:19.
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

Is that the only difficulty?? Get them to find you an extra key - no reasonable organisation would refuse to do that. Bingo - autonomy.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

I'm not going into naming and shaming, but lets just say it wasn't just a bandroom...
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

tMP Friend
    Crash sound of chip hitting floor due to size
    Andrew Sapcote

"Where there's Muck there's Brass" It's okay to play a cornet and live in a pig sty

Previously known as "Essex Elvis" Red Elvis's Avatar
    Thanks for the warning about Yorkshire bands Stella. I'll certainly be telling Dyke / Grimey / Briggus where to go next time any of them ring and offer me a seat !!!
    "Then raise the scarlet banner high , beneath its folds we'll live and die.Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer we'll keep the Red Flag flying here"
    Phil
    TMP Political Commissar
    EEb Bass
    Aveley and Newham Band

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast