Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the Bb bass players gone?

tMP Friend in Training derekdawson's Avatar
    Can't argue with that Wilkie I suppose, I do still enjoy playing, it's the getting up and going that does it, I've noticed a few derogatory remarks about BBb bass players recently on Tmp, well as you know Wilkie you don't build a good house on bad foundations, and I would advise any young musician to consider the instrument, best move I ever made at the tender age of 18 yrs.( well EEb bass at that time) George Thompson talked me onto BBb at 25yrs. still my best move.Thank's for the reply
    grimeydirk

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by derekdawson View Post
    Having played with Barnsley Chronicle Band on Sat. last, 50 yrs. after first going on stage at SGH with Grimethorpe, and also playing with the Grimethorpe all stars at Butlins, it would seem to me to be a good time to call it a day, I am in my 75th. year and all good things come to an end.
    Derek....I think the only way you will be able to retire from playing will be to change your phone number and keep the front door locked ! You are still in great demand.

Quote Originally Posted by STUART HAIGH View Post
    Derek....I think the only way you will be able to retire from playing will be to change your phone number and keep the front door locked ! You are still in great demand.
    Well said Stuart ~ Good BBb players are as rare as rocking horse doody !
    It's time all that so called "Expenses" dosh that's frequently heaped on the multitudinous ranks of Solo Cornets, troms, sops and Euphs is diverted to attract stars of the BBb Bass !! ( Not that I agree with outlandish payments that would make Bankers blush being paid out to mediocre mussos in our amateur hobby.)

- Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

I can see me ending up doing a Tommy Cooper, but not yet for a bit eh?
    grimeydirk

tMP Friend
    What do you mean " Bass Bottle, Bottle Bass" or even pronounce it differently "Bottle of Bass"
    Andrew Sapcote

"Where there's Muck there's Brass" It's okay to play a cornet and live in a pig sty

Can't argue with that Wilkie I suppose, I do still enjoy playing, it's the getting up and going that does it, I've noticed a few derogatory remarks about BBb bass players recently on Tmp, well as you know Wilkie you don't build a good house on bad foundations, and I would advise any young musician to consider the instrument, best move I ever made at the tender age of 18 yrs.( well EEb bass at that time) George Thompson talked me onto BBb at 25yrs. still my best move.Thank's for the reply
    Super points and well made, agreed!
    Matthew

BBb Tuba - Bass players can be 'Virtuosic' sometimes.....not often, just sometimes!

tMP Friend for Life meandmycornet's Avatar
    Hello, My name is Fi, and I want to play bass!

Someone silly let me have a go on an Eb Bass a couple of years (I was thrilled as I'd always wanted to have a try!) and from that moment on, I have wanted to play bass!

I was at a carolling job with my current band, and those of you who know me, will not be suprised to hear I was told stop chatting 'or you'll be going on Eb Bass after Christmas!' .... much shock and suprise when my reply was 'Oooooh CAN I?!?!'

I had a go on Eb and was hooked... but as we already had two Eb players and the area contest was looming, I had to pack my new friend back into the instrument cupboard and retake my seat on the back row cornet bench for the time being!

The bandmaster (jokingly, I thought) informed me that I was going on Bb Bass after the area.... now I told him... I know I'm keen...but I think that is a step too far even for me! Well yesterday... he took me on a 'secret mission' to a Trevada trade stand. I got to have a cuddle with a lovely 'Baby Bb' York Tuba and I was smitten! Hopefully the committee will agree that it's a very good idea and I will get to sit with the big boys again!

Oh and .... if I can manage a bass, anyone can... I'm only 5ft tall!
    Fi - Bando and Proud!

2nd Cornet/Bass Wannabe!

Hello Fi,( I just changed that from Hi Fi) nice to see your message, stick with it and don't let anyone put you off being a Bass player, I would advise an EEb rather than a baby Bb, you need the power of a full sized Bass(4valves) to really get your teeth into, there was a colour sergeant Eb bass player in the Army with me he was only about 5 foot and managed OK,( good Rugby player as well) one tip I will pass on to you, I always carry a cushion in the bell of the Bass as no two chairs on gigs are the same, and the cushion helps you to adjust and reach the bass properly, best of luck in your endeavours FI and let me know how you get on. Derek
    grimeydirk

Yep your a bass player alright, mental. sounds good to me, get off the cornet go to the bass

tMP Friend for Life meandmycornet's Avatar
    Hello Fi,( I just changed that from Hi Fi) nice to see your message, stick with it and don't let anyone put you off being a Bass player, I would advise an EEb rather than a baby Bb, you need the power of a full sized Bass(4valves) to really get your teeth into, there was a colour sergeant Eb bass player in the Army with me he was only about 5 foot and managed OK,( good Rugby player as well) one tip I will pass on to you, I always carry a cushion in the bell of the Bass as no two chairs on gigs are the same, and the cushion helps you to adjust and reach the bass properly, best of luck in your endeavours FI and let me know how you get on. Derek
    Hi Derek... I would rather play Eb... but there's no space on the Eb Bass Bench.... and the band needs Bb ... so muggins here is stepping in.... or rather... being pushed in head first by my lovely darling bandmaster! He thinks it's a marvellous idea! I'm witholding judgement until I get my mitts on this new bass!
    Fi - Bando and Proud!

2nd Cornet/Bass Wannabe!

"Sound" advice from the master !

~ Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Quote Originally Posted by meandmycornet View Post
    Hello, My name is Fi, and I want to play bass!

Someone silly let me have a go on an Eb Bass a couple of years (I was thrilled as I'd always wanted to have a try!) and from that moment on, I have wanted to play bass!

I was at a carolling job with my current band, and those of you who know me, will not be suprised to hear I was told stop chatting 'or you'll be going on Eb Bass after Christmas!' .... much shock and suprise when my reply was 'Oooooh CAN I?!?!'

I had a go on Eb and was hooked... but as we already had two Eb players and the area contest was looming, I had to pack my new friend back into the instrument cupboard and retake my seat on the back row cornet bench for the time being!

The bandmaster (jokingly, I thought) informed me that I was going on Bb Bass after the area.... now I told him... I know I'm keen...but I think that is a step too far even for me! Well yesterday... he took me on a 'secret mission' to a Trevada trade stand. I got to have a cuddle with a lovely 'Baby Bb' York Tuba and I was smitten! Hopefully the committee will agree that it's a very good idea and I will get to sit with the big boys again!

Oh and .... if I can manage a bass, anyone can... I'm only 5ft tall!
    Superb! You'll never regret it or look back!

PS: You might swear once or twice or more when lugging it about.....in the rain, up the stairs, down the street, on the march, perched on a stupid chair, in cramped spaces, when you can't see, list goes on........lol...........but it's ALWAYS worth it!
    Matthew

BBb Tuba - Bass players can be 'Virtuosic' sometimes.....not often, just sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Superb! You'll never regret it or look back!

PS: You might swear once or twice or more when lugging it about.....in the rain, up the stairs, down the street, on the march, perched on a stupid chair, in cramped spaces, when you can't see, list goes on........lol...........but it's ALWAYS worth it!

Without wishing to open the health and safety can of worms, these are significant points, good chairs and perhaps playing stands will make life easier, and longer, for BBb players. Proper transport is a consideration, too. I doubt that the percussion section would be asked to get the kit,the timps, the glock, the tubular bells etc into the back of a mondeo, neither should the big tuba players.
    I did note a while ago that professional military bands have stopped using BBbs on the march, as they exceed the safe 10kg limit for manual handling. The cramped spaces we play in are always a risk, not just to backs and joints but also to valuable instruments.

Best of luck Fi, it could still turn out for the best, as I said before, I was pushed onto BBb and it has taken me round the world, so hang in there. Derek
    grimeydirk

Quote Originally Posted by pbirch View Post
    Proper transport is a consideration, too. I doubt that the percussion section would be asked to get the kit,the timps, the glock, the tubular bells etc into the back of a mondeo, neither should the big tuba players.
    If you want to attract bass players and our percussionists then appropriate transport is in order. I'm not as fussy as Stuart, I'm not after a brand new instrument, but I'm not buying a 4x4 and a 3 bedroom semi just to please a 4th section band. If there are any bands in the Huddersfield area that do have adequate transport to take the basses to and from concerts please get in touch, you might tempt me back out of retirement!!! My bass at my previous band was getting in the way of the TV screen in my small affordable terrace house and my other half does like his football!!
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast