Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music of Erik Leidzen - a new recording from Leyland Band and guests in 2012

The Music of Erik Leidzen - a new recording from Leyland Band and guests in 2012

I am delighted to announce that following the success of ‘Crusader-The Music of Dean Goffin’, a new recording, this time featuring the music of Erik Leidzen will take place in 2012 to raise further money for the Clarence Adoo Trust.

The newly-crowned Brass in Concert Champion, Leyland Band will perform this music and special guest soloists Kevin Ashman (Principal cornet of The International Staff Band), Dávur Juul Magnussen (Principal trombone of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra) and David Childs (Principal euphonium of Cory Band) will record Songs in the Heart, Concertino for Band and Trombone and The Song of the Brother respectively.

The recording takes place on Saturday and Sunday 4/5 February next year and will feature both established and lesser known works from this much-loved composer. The organisers would like to acknowledge the generous support of Buffet Crampon, KMJ Recordings and Leyland Band: without them the recording would not be possible.

More details to come but please do not hesitate to contact me via PM or johnflugel@yahoo.co.uk if you require any further information or would like to support the project in some way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

I think I want one now - Love Leizdens Concertino for Band and Trombone.

Any more info on what else you are putting on it?
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

Don't want to include the whole track list yet, but it will include Pressing Onward, None other Name, EFG March, Post Bellum Rhapsody and What a Friend, amongst others.
    "Sometimes I wish I had been more spontaneous. I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying 'Look at me, I'm a Giant witch'"

tMP Master Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflugel View Post
    Don't want to include the whole track list yet, but it will include Pressing Onward, None other Name, EFG March, Post Bellum Rhapsody and What a Friend, amongst others.
    what about is ecxellent sinfonietta

Quote Originally Posted by critic View Post
    what about is ecxellent sinfonietta
    That cost me a few sleepless nights when as a 16 year old I had to play the 2nd movement Eb Bass Solo in the Grand Shield in 1963. Fortunately all went well !

- Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Definitely another one for the wants list - love Post Bellum Rhapsody. Of course whatever you include there are bound to be those who will be disappointed.
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

It might be on there Dave

Which band was that with Ian?

Which band was that with Ian?
    John ~ It was with Leeds Model (Peter Kitson) ~ Apparently the band was drowned out 4 bars before the start of my solo by my knees knocking !!
    The Kings Hall could be a very lonely place.
    We were unplaced, but hopefully that wasn't down to me !

- Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Great news John. Another set of tough choices to make. "The Call" has always been a personal favourite. Whatever the decision, together with the solo items, this will be an outstanding project. You might also want to keep in mind that an earlier recording by the ISB of Leidzen music titled "The Invincible Army" is still available on WoB.

tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brooks View Post
    You might also want to keep in mind that an earlier recording by the ISB of Leidzen music titled "The Invincible Army" is still available on WoB.
    True but now only available as a download, the original recording was released over 20 years ago in 1989.

Thanks John - I remember someone buying me that cassette of that when I was about 10! There will be some crossover (inevitable) but a lot of less familiar material will be on there.

... None other Name...What a Friend....
    Great 2 of my Favourites :

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofBrass.com View Post
    True but now only available as a download, the original recording was released over 20 years ago in 1989.
    That was a Great recording, but much earlier than that Stockholm 7 produced an Album titled This man Leizden I think it was. Ive got that on cassette, but the recording media is now suffering (think the tape is stretched slightly as the play back tempo sometimes slows) probably due the frequency with which I played it when I got it. So it stays in its box now.
    Last edited by P_S_Price; 15.12.2011 at 11:11.
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

tMP Master Friend

Leidzen's sinfonietta as a test

Quote Originally Posted by iancwilx View Post
    John ~ It was with Leeds Model (Peter Kitson) ~ Apparently the band was drowned out 4 bars before the start of my solo by my knees knocking !!
    The Kings Hall could be a very lonely place.
    We were unplaced, but hopefully that wasn't down to me !

- Mr Wilx
    You might also remember the last (?) revival of Sinfonietta as a test piece - it was in the late 1980s (87/8ish) at the old Tetley's contest held in Leeds. I remember a very young Andy Mitchell playing the bass solo for Imps with Garry Cutt conducting - Martin Gill was the other Eflat.

The band had Alan Exley on top man with some intersting characters on Rep/2nd cornet, not least Dave Roberts and Richard Grantham and Steve Peacock...I think they ended up 4th.
    I think the contest was won by William Davis

JR

Quote Originally Posted by JR View Post
    You might also remember the last (?) revival of Sinfonietta as a test piece - it was in the late 1980s (87/8ish) at the old Tetley's contest held in Leeds. I remember a very young Andy Mitchell playing the bass solo for Imps with Garry Cutt conducting - Martin Gill was the other Eflat.

The band had Alan Exley on top man with some intersting characters on Rep/2nd cornet, not least Dave Roberts and Richard Grantham and Steve Peacock...I think they ended up 4th.
    I think the contest was won by William Davis

JR
    I remember it well John. I wasn't playing, but I was in the auditorium. Wasn't it held in The Grand Theatre ?.
    I had my fingers crossed for every Eb Bass player as the Solo was coming up.
    I think it was 1988 because Steve Jarvis approached me on the day and asked me to go to Kippax which I did in Feb 1989. (Steve always was a sweet talker !)
    You mention some good names there. I think Martin has packed in now. He was a great player and a lovely guy. Put in a few years at B&R after the great Imps collapse didn't he ?

- Mr Wilx
    - Mr Wilx

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast