Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Paddy's Scottish Area - 2012

tMP Friend
    Paddy - Hawick Saxhorn are also competing in 4th Section at Glenrothes this year.
    Flugel - Selkirk Silver

tMP Friend in Training The Scottish Critic's Avatar
    This year’s Scottish Championships will be one of the most hotly fought contests in years, with so many bands in each section with something to prove. The venue is once again the Rothes Halls in Glenrothes which must be one of the most unforgiving halls in the country. The adjudicators will be in no doubt when things go wrong and even the pin dropping can be heard in the box before it has hit the ground. Feet shuffling, water being blown out and mute noises are all very clear at the back of the hall. I know I sat there last time.

Championship - It's hard to look past the Co-op and with Mr Childs in front they will be looking to regain the Scottish Crown once again, Kirkie have gone about rebuilding and have put some very young and excellent talent around the stands and although this year might just be too early for them all, this new combination will win contests in the future there is no doubt about that. Whitburn have lost a few players but a wounded animal can be even more dangerous, this band know how to dig contest wins from nowhere and the experience around the stands will still make them one to beat if your band wants into the top 4. Kingdom, well the information coming from Kingdom has dried up of late not sure what has happened to the spin machine, so maybe this year they are just going about their business in a different manner but the word is they will still have the imports in for the big day (they are not guests, signed players but will they be there the following week ?) and with the very talented Mr Violet at the helm this may just be their year for a trip to the Albert Hall. Outside the top 4 it's hard to see where the serious challengers will come from but Dalmelington and Archie ( I am assuming Mr Hutchison is taking them) will be right on the heels of the top 4 and if any of them don't perform to their best then they will be right in there, they may not have the same quality as the other 4 but they do have a conductor with a dogged sense of determination which is always worth a point or two. It will be a real dog fight for the places from 6 downwards with Boness, Newtongrange and Lochgelly looking to fill these with Kirkintilloch Kelvin and Broxburn & Livingston I fear in the trap door battle. The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea will challenge all the bands but a few will sink into its murky depths. So for me

1st Co-op
    2nd Kingdom Brass
    3rd Kirkintilloch
    4th Whitburn

Now the first section this year will be one of the toughest in a while to separate and Mr Webster and Mr Jones will really have their work cut out to separate this field. Who could win on the day(in no particular order), Johnstone, Bon Accord, Kinneil, Arbroath, Clackmannan and City of Discovery so there is more than half the field already. Kinneil and Bon Accord will be looking to get back to the top flight but Johnstone and Clackmannan won’t be lying down to allow this and as the last major contest of 2011 showed Arbroath won’t be bullied, City of Discovery are a strange mob who seem to form up before a contest have a good few rehearsals and then go and play exceptionally well, so any one of these six bands could take 1st prize. With the expected conductors on show in this section it will make a very good days listening for the neutral, with quality, experience and determination all available in front of the bands. Which leaves the battle to stay away from relegation, an equally interesting contest? But I think that the field will be to strong and Granite City or Bathgate could well be propping up the 1st section leader board come the results on the 11th March.

1st Bon Accord
    2nd Johnstone
    3rd Arbroath
    4th Kinneil

The second section looks like being a formality with Tullis being run away winners if the form book from 2011 is anything to go by, but they were in a similar position last year and it all went horribly wrong and they were on the wrong side of a 10th place. An inform Shotts won’t see the contest as a formality and will be there or there about come the results. Campbeltown it would appear are on the rebuilding phase once again but

Croy, Dunaskin and Coalburn will all fancy their chances of taking the top prize. Cross Patonce is not an easy piece and few of the bands will have the technical ability to master the demands of Geoff Richards’s piece and I fear that the other bands in the section may struggle to come to terms with this piece so for me its

1st Tullis
    2nd Shotts
    3rd Coalburn
    4th Croy

The third section will be a good contest and Phillip Harpers Olympus will be a good test for them all. Barrhead, Jedforest and Renfrew will all fancy their chances but bands classed as the middle order will also be looking to make a big push this year. Perthshire Brass, Buckhaven, Peebles and Selkirk will all be thinking it’s time to make a move out of this section. Jedforest had a very good performance at the 2011 Borders contest as well as a well deserved 3rd at last year’s Championships so any band hoping to win will need to beat them. Buckhaven are another one to watch, David Neil is a very experienced MD and has won prizes with every band he has been involved with and now’s he’s been at Buckhaven for a couple of years now this might just be the year they climb up a section. I’m not sure who will be taking Renfrew at the Scottish but again a band with a good pedigree and on the day more that capable of getting into the frame. So for me on what will be an intriguing contest

1st Jedforest
    2ndRenfrew
    3rd Buckhaven
    4th Perthshire Brass

It looks like the fourth section will be the largest for many years and it will be interesting to see how the bands that are competing for the first time get on. Clear favorites on the day will be Dunfermline, they can’t drop any further down and will use this contest as a spring board to start the climb back up the sections. Queensferry have been in very good hands of late with their very experienced conductor and I’m sure will want to show the new boys how it’s done. Penicuik have recently added to their ranks and will be looking for a good showing and Dysart with Bruce Fraser at the helm won’t be allowed to go on stage in an unfit condition. So what about the new boys Kingdom B, and Tullis Russell Intermediate, the word is Kingdom are bring out a few old timers who have still a good bit of puff left in them and a few players who have moved from the A band and if rumours are correct Bede Williams at the front of this new band, then this maybe the combination to beat along with Dunfermline. The TR Intermediate Band it would appear was started as an adult leaner band and has grown to such a stage that it is now ready to take to the contest platform, perhaps to early for them to show in the prizes this year. English Folk Songs will be playable by all the bands this year and it may take a little something extra to win over John Doyle and Jonathon Corry and Kingdom with their brought in players may just have that even although it’s their first contest, so for me its

1st Kingdom B
    2nd Dunfermline
    3rd Queensferry
    4th Penicuik

These thoughts are mine and mine alone and are based on my perception of Scottish Bands along with all the performances I have heard throughout 2011 and my comments are for entertainment purposes and not to annoy or upset anyone.

Good luck to all the bands in March
    Last edited by Jan H; 15.02.2012 at 07:41.
    Brass Band Listener

tMP Friend in Training The Scottish Critic's Avatar
    Sorry got the spacing all wrong, not sure what happened there
    Brass Band Listener

Quote Originally Posted by The Scottish Critic View Post
    Sorry got the spacing all wrong, not sure what happened there
    Tidied it up a little bit for you.
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

It'll be interesting to see if SBBA stick to their guns and go ahead with a pre draw, meaning potentially no Scottish bands at the finals
    Andy Griffiths

Solo Euph - Jayess Newbiggin Band

Have Kapitol made a threat?
    George Annan
    Conductor: Perthshire Brass
    Before seeking to be understood, seek first to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi View Post
    Have Kapitol made a threat?
    Just repeating what a friend from Scotland told me the other day. From what he said it seems that by holding a pre draw it would be breaking Kapitol rules.

Could be completely wrong like, just what I'd heard on the grapevine.
    Andy Griffiths

tMP Newbie
    why would it mean that the bands couldnt compete at the finals? is the pr-drw against kapitols rules?
    JOHN RICHMOND cornet Annan town Band

Quote Originally Posted by cornetjohn View Post
    why would it mean that the bands couldnt compete at the finals? is the pr-drw against kapitols rules?
    I'm sure SBBA would have checked before proposing it!
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by cornetjohn View Post
    I honestly don't know, like I said earlier I was just repeating what I was told (should have thought better than to post hearsay on here!), but the way the convo went I was led to believe it was common knowledge in Scotland that Kapitol weren't happy with a pre draw.

Hopefully the issues (if any!) will be resolved. Got to say though that although a pre draw might not be good for the bands, it might not be good for the organisers in terms of meeting costs. At least if all bands have to be there at the same time more money would be taken from the bar/food courts/programme sales etc.
    Andy Griffiths

tMP Senior Friend
    How much of the proceeds from the bar/food places at an event do the organisers get though? I'd hazard a guess at nil.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    How much of the proceeds from the bar/food places at an event do the organisers get though? I'd hazard a guess at nil.
    Since the Rothes Hall is inside the Kingdom Centre, local businesses do benefit from bands attending. Remember, the hall is hired for performance purposes first.

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Euph View Post
    I honestly don't know, like I said earlier I was just repeating what I was told but the way the convo went I was led to believe it was common knowledge in Scotland that Kapitol weren't happy with a pre draw.
    Definitely some sort of 'discussion' taking place! - http://www.sbba.org.uk/index.php?section=2&id=538

Statto
    brassstats.com

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Definitely some sort of 'discussion' taking place! - http://www.sbba.org.uk/index.php?section=2&id=538

Statto
    brassstats.com
    A bit strange that any organisation (esp SBBA) would go ahead with such a move without contacting the sponsors. The rules are ...

"CONTEST DAY
    15. a) The order in which a band will perform in a section will be decided by a draw. Contest Management has the right to apply discretion for matters that, or concern, the order of play.
    b) A band must appoint a delegate to attend the draw and act on its behalf in all matters pertaining to the Rules. Any queries or requests regarding the Contest must be raised bythe delegate before The Draw takes place.
    c) If a band’s delegate fails to attend the draw, the Contest Management will draw on behalf of the band.
    d) In the event of a section being subject to a split draw, bands will be notified by the Contest Management. The first stage of a split draw must be carried out at least TWO (2)weeks before the contest date. Stage two of a split draw will take place on the contest day
    in accordance with a), b) and c) above."

Last edited by brassneck; 09.02.2012 at 15:57.

tMP Friend
    For info the Pre Draw has gone ahead and the bands have been notified so presumably this has been cleared by Kapitol.

On a personal note I think this is a good thing to happen, for us bands on the outer edges of Scotland we can plan the bus better and not need to leave (unless we have an early draw number) at stupid o'clock to arrive at the hall an hour before commencement and drop off our draw delegate. It also means we can confidently arrange rehearsal facilities in glenrothes as, although the band hall does have understanding neighbours, they don't particularly want to hear a test piece being played at 6 in the morning on a saturday.
    Flugel - Selkirk Silver

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast