Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Paddy's North of England Area - 2012

tMP Friend in Training supersop1's Avatar
    I am more than aware of the current state of north east banding, and i agree without the other bands, the contest would not be viable, but as a north east bandsman its is frustrating that the non north of england bands are winning the north of engand area!
    i am neither small minded or an idiot!!!! just frustrated and angry... north east banding is under threat in a big way, but yorkshire bands winning and qualifying in our area is by no way encouraging.
    Soprano Cornet

( Peter Kay )

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by supersop1 View Post
    I am more than aware of the current state of north east banding, and i agree without the other bands, the contest would not be viable, but as a north east bandsman its is frustrating that the non north of england bands are winning the north of engand area!
    i am neither small minded or an idiot!!!! just frustrated and angry... north east banding is under threat in a big way, but yorkshire bands winning and qualifying in our area is by no way encouraging.
    Please forgive me if I am missing the point, I am little confused. Are you saying that you want the non north of England bands to enter so that the numbers are such that the contest is viable but not be allowed to win so that only north of England bands can win and qualify?

tMP Senior Friend trombone-john's Avatar
    YOUR Area? We have no choice as to which Area contest we attend, we have to go where Kapitol tell us to!
    Personally we would much rather go to Bradford, but we don't have that option.
    Soprano Cornet
    Yorkshire Imps
    Best Soprano, Areas 2009
    Best Soprano, Brighouse March Contest 2009
    Best Instrumentalist, Morley March Contest 2012
    The cream is always on top!!!

I think people are missing the point here.

The regional section is called the NORTH of England, and there is no disputing that ALL bands who competed yesterday ARE from the North of England.
    The section is NOT the North Eastern section, and some people seem to think, because it is held in the North East, it is.

The fact that other northern bands (those of South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire), have their own competition is irrelevant (as is the fact that the Greater Manchester/Lancashire bands play in the North West area).
    Think of Yorkshire and North West competitions as being regional areas, within a regional area. Sort of like Lesotho being within South Africa.

The idea that the likes of Barton, EYMS etc. are not Northern bands is absurd, and should be in the Northern area. Their relative distance to Bradford is irrelevant, there are bands much closer to Bradford e.g. Harrogate. They simply don't belong to the counties of West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire, and consequently don't get invited to that area.

To reitterate ALL bands present yesterday were northern, and this debate is silly.

tMP Senior Friend trombone-john's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmb View Post
    I think people are missing the point here.

The regional section is called the NORTH of England, and there is no disputing that ALL bands who competed yesterday ARE from the North of England.
    The section is NOT the North Eastern section, and some people seem to think, because it is held in the North East, it is.

The fact that other northern bands (those of South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire), have their own competition is irrelevant (as is the fact that the Greater Manchester/Lancashire bands play in the North West area).
    Think of Yorkshire and North West competitions as being regional areas, within a regional area. Sort of like Lesotho being within South Africa.

The idea that the likes of Barton, EYMS etc. are not Northern bands is absurd, and should be in the Northern area. Their relative distance to Bradford is irrelevant, there are bands much closer to Bradford e.g. Harrogate. They simply don't belong to the counties of West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire, and consequently don't get invited to that area.

To reitterate ALL bands present yesterday were northern, and this debate is silly.

My point exactly, only better put!
    Soprano Cornet
    Yorkshire Imps
    Best Soprano, Areas 2009
    Best Soprano, Brighouse March Contest 2009
    Best Instrumentalist, Morley March Contest 2012
    The cream is always on top!!!

thing that bugs me, barton who came 2nd are based 107 miles away from the dolphin centre 1hr 54 mins drive according to google, shepherd group are from york, south milford are from selby, york railway from york and cleethorpe printers are 128 miles away...and these are band that have qualified, and taken spaces of the true north bands.. so really the bands that will truly represent the north of england are felling westoe and dunston. well done guys!!!

and just to put some perspective on this BLACK DYKE are only based 84 miles away!!! the contest is a farce and is so poorly ran.. i have nothing but frustration for north east banding by far the worst area i have had the pleasure of playing in..
    thank you
    1 truly frustrated bandsman
    Ahhh i see so it should be a local competition for local band's only??? Perhaps the contest could be in your front room with your local band friends... the adjudicator could be someone local (or at least someone with local knowledge and therefore agree with all your opinions)???

Band's in North Wales travel to Swansea... Blackpool might be closer for some... so perhaps they should be NW bands even though they are Welsh.
    There are bands in the Peak District who travel to Bedworth but are closer to both Blackpool AND Bradford.

Rather than whinge that your 'local' contest was won by some Johnny Foreigners from over the county border perhaps you should consider yourself lucky that the competition venue is so close to where you live! As has been pointed out the contest is called the North of England Areas... would you feel the same about the result if the venue was moved to Carlise or Harrogate and you won?
    Tim Hewitt
    3rd Cornet
    Fodens

tMP Senior Friend
    My first time in Darlington and i enjoyed the day. Seemed to be well run, very friendly people and a decent venue to be fair.

Glad to see the issue of where the areas are held, travel distances etc arent just confined to the Welsh Areas

Just one point though...if the North-East bands cant win in a North East/Yorkshire combined area (or whatever it is...), why should the qualifiers in a smaller North-East only competition (with possibly a lower quality...?) be allowed to qualify? Surely a larger area means it is more competitive? The bands that have qualified this weekend have truly deserved to qualify. Shortage of players, etc...yes i know ive heard all the arguments before. Maybe combine with the Scottish and travel as far as some other bands have to in other areas?...No?

tMP Friend in Training
    Darlo isnt a bad contest to be honest and it is, as been pointed out, the North of England. There is a Durham County Brass Band contest as well btw. add in that Reg Vardy have won/qualified 9/10 years.

Wondered how long it would be before this old chestnut surfaced! I also wonder whether supersop1 would have been so aggrieved if the winners were all from the Durham/Newcastle area. Somehow, I doubt it.

Just to reiterate - this is the Northern Area, not the North East Area, and those bands who aren't based in the Tyne & Wear district have just as much right to call it 'home' as those that are. The bottom line is that the bands who performed best on the day took home the silverware. Their geographical location is completely irrelevant. You should be grateful that you have such a competitive, organised contest on your doorstep. Without the 'outsiders' you wouldn't have.

Well done to Alan Hope and his committee for organising such a well run event, it's always a pleasure to attend . And congratulations to all the winners, regardless of their locality.
    Agent Orange

tMP Friend in Training fatstickmanslim's Avatar
    you have missed my point in whats happening with north east bands at the moment they used to be quite a power base with wonderful players, i would hate to see them in decline, but certainly not holding their own this year. any thoughts?

thing that bugs me, barton who came 2nd are based 107 miles away from the dolphin centre 1hr 54 mins drive according to google, shepherd group are from york, south milford are from selby, york railway from york and cleethorpe printers are 128 miles away...and these are band that have qualified, and taken spaces of the true north bands.. so really the bands that will truly represent the north of england are felling westoe and dunston. well done guys!!!

and just to put some perspective on this BLACK DYKE are only based 84 miles away!!! the contest is a farce and is so poorly ran.. i have nothing but frustration for north east banding by far the worst area i have had the pleasure of playing in..
    thank you
    1 truly frustrated bandsman
    Oh dear.... does this have any link to Vardy not being in the winning frame this year? I think it's marvellous to see some other bands giving the usual Northern front runners a run for their money. The reign had to end sometime and, whilst Vardy has proven to be one of the top bands 'up North', it is refreshing to see some other band show that hard work and determination has brought them up through the ranks. And bear in mind that 2 of your very own 'North Eastern' players make that very same 84 or however many miles trip to Queensbury every week - I wonder why they didn't stay in a 'North Eastern' Band? Would you pass by that opportunity if you had their talent just to stay loyal to your 'area'? I think not...
    Incidentally, I played in the North of England comp for several years, and what a well run comp it has always been
    Fiona Rolfe

Quote Originally Posted by jockinafrock View Post
    Oh dear.... does this have any link to Vardy not being in the winning frame this year? I think it's marvellous to see some other bands giving the usual Northern front runners a run for their money. The reign had to end sometime and, whilst Vardy has proven to be one of the top bands 'up North', it is refreshing to see some other band show that hard work and determination has brought them up through the ranks. And bear in mind that 2 of your very own 'North Eastern' players make that very same 84 or however many miles trip to Queensbury every week - I wonder why they didn't stay in a 'North Eastern' Band? Would you pass by that opportunity if you had their talent just to stay loyal to your 'area'? I think not...
    Incidentally, I played in the North of England comp for several years, and what a well run comp it has always been
    I'm not quite sure why you think supersop01's post has anything to do with our failure to qualify this year, he isn't a member of our band. Perhaps his comments, which I do not agree with, are aimed at the contest in general? But you seem to have aimed your response directly towards us.

Personally, as a former member of Felling, I am over the moon that their years of hard work have paid off and they have finally qualified for London, and as regional champions to boot! I also find Barton's rise through the sections to be nothing short of phenomenal and I wish them, and all my friends at Felling, the best of success at the RAH in October.

Well said, Dan. It is a great contest, well run and with such a warm welcome. Good luck to all the bands representing the North of England at the finals.
    Stephen Gibson - BBb Bass
    East Yorkshire Motor Services Band
    Senior Cup Winners 2008
    Most Entertaining Band - Butlins 2011
    North of England Runner Up 2011
    Senior Cup Runner Up 2013

[QUOTE=Bass Man;809409]I'm not quite sure why you think supersop01's post has anything to do with our failure to qualify this year, he isn't a member of our band. Perhaps his comments, which I do not agree with, are aimed at the contest in general? But you seem to have aimed your response directly towards us.

Aimed at Vardy? Do you know whether Supersop01's post has anything to do with their failure to qualify this year - neither do I, so I was merely asking a question. I think what has happened in Darlo this week shows that bands shouldn't become complacent and rest on their laurels - the response from the audience shows how everyone (as happens every year) expects Vardy to win; on this occasion, this was not to be. A few years ago Fishburn (for whom I played) would've been the competition for Vardy, but now it looks like Barton and Felling are the ones to watch for the future. And, likewise, I am chuffed that Felling has won - but Supersop (is he super?) displays nothing but sour grapes towards those from farther afield and whom he sees as having no right to compete at Darlo. By the way - you haven't given your opinion on the 2 players I referred to...

Fiona Rolfe

[QUOTE=Ste69;809416]Well said, Dan. It is a great contest, well run and with such a warm welcome.

Did I not say it was well run...?
    Fiona Rolfe

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast