+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dr Roy Newsome

Boarshurst Silver Band played Eventide to commence rehearsal last night in memory of the great man.

Roy Newsome was a friend of the band for the past 2 years whilst working towards contests, but he was also a personal friend of mine for numerous years.
    A true Gentleman who will be sadly missed. Our thoughts are with Muriel and the family.
    David W Ashworth.
    Musical Director. Conductor, Band Trainer and Adjudicator.
    www.boarshurstband.com
    www.david-ashworth.co.uk
    www.FANFARENORTH.COM
    david.w.ashworth@gmail.com

I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Newsome at the RAH a few years ago. It was quite by chance that I had just purchased his book "150 Years" - the story of Black Dyke and I approached him to sign my copy. HE thanked ME (!!) for buying his book and said he appreciated my interest! He was sincere as we chatted and in no way gave the impression that he was an icon. It was one of those all too rare moments in life when an ordinary individual meets a very extra-oridinary individual and the world seems to stop for a few moments. That's a memory I will always treasure. My condolences to his wife and family.

Unregistered

Dr Roy Newsome

I know Roy touched many people in his life and left fond memories to all. I recall a specific conversation with Roy during the planning stages of the second Brass Band Aid CD having asked him if he would like to compose a piece of music with an arfican theme for the CD. Roy quickly declined explaining that he 'wasnt a very good composer'! We chatted for a while and he left an open offer of support.
    A couple of weeks later he rang to advise me he had composed a march for the CD. I must admit to smiling to myself whilst chatting, I was thinking an African March!!?
    But Roy went on to explain he had called it the BBA March (Brass Band Aid), as the first 3 notes were BBA. This is just a lovely example of Roys love of music and desire help others and what a super march it is.
    What a delightful, generous man, a real gentleman and a massive loss to music.
    Thoughts going out to family
    Bob Thompson
    BBA

Besses are devestated to have lost this great man.

Steve

tMP Friend in Training leylandband's Avatar
    From Martin Newsome (Roy's son) via Facebook:

The funeral of Dr. Roy Newsome will take place at Bury Parish Church at 11:00am on Monday 17th October 2011.

Many thanks from all the family for all your thoughts and wishes, they have been a great comfort at this difficult time.
    Martin Newsome.

Not sure if Martin visits here, but the tributes on Facebook, in addition to here, have been numerous and heartfelt.

God bless, Roy. You will be missed.
    LEYLAND BAND
    - North West Regional Champions | European Qualifiers 2013 -
    World Class Entertainment In Brass

Website | Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2