Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sibelius 7 now available

Any luck yet Duncan?
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Not really. According to most sources, Avid have stopped the educational discount (also applying to teachers) as their upgrade is 'already competitively priced'. I've had a few comments on my facebook about this and Avid look like they are trying to kill it off. A certain Mr Green will be pleased

The best price for an upgrade is 114.00, which is not bad at all. I had a look at MuseScore and, my word, it's improved! Looking at the screenshots it looks like a serious contender for when Sibelius eventually gets binned by it's owners.
    Duncan Wilson
    MD, Kidlington Concert Brass, L&SC 1st Section Champions 2013!

There are other alterntives to Sibelius. Im a Capella user!
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

Duncan, I'm sure you will get something worked out re:Sibelius.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Trumpet View Post
    ... Avid look like they are trying to kill [Sibelius] off. A certain Mr Green will be pleased
    Not really; as I alluded to in another thread, if Finale have no real competition, they will have no motivation to continue improving their own product. And despite what others think, I cannot see Musescore being a "real" alternative to Finale - not at a professional engraving level anyway.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    Not really; as I alluded to in another thread, if Finale have no real competition, they will have no motivation to continue improving their own product. And despite what others think, I cannot see Musescore being a "real" alternative to Finale - not at a professional engraving level anyway.
    Only teasing Gareth. Hence the smiley

Mind you, look at it from Finale's point of view - not as a user but from the view of the makers - if Sibelius went away quietly, they could charge what they liked and cease bothering to improve. Look at how complacent Microsoft have been over the years; they brought out any old rubbish (Vista), then wondered why nobody liked it. It's only when the sales started to plummet they got their act together.
    Duncan Wilson
    MD, Kidlington Concert Brass, L&SC 1st Section Champions 2013!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2