Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Besson New Standard Eb Tenor Horn thinking of buying

When I was on horn I oreferred the Maestro to Sov, and the Neo would be my first choice now (but as other posters have pointed out you're not going to get one in your price range). You can get a decent 2nd hand Maestro or Sovereign for less than a grand though if you're happy to wait and stake out all the usual traders and sites like this, and either would be much better (imho) than an Imperial, student model or new Chinese make.
    Alex
    my posts are my views only, I am not speaking for my band or any other organisation

tMP Friend in Training
    Thanks! I've heard bad things about the yamahas fitting in with the rest of a section, so will stick to a besson probably, though still umming and aahhing over whether to try a first brass or john packer, i quite liked the regency from first brass, and almost bought it on a trade stand at the areas. I think though that I do want something that will hold its value and as an investment

tMP Friend in Training
    Just a thought. Buy nice secondhand Imprial or New Standard for a few hundred pounds, and if you look after it, in two or three years it will still be worth roughly what you paid for it - then trade up. Buy a cheap new 'disposable' horn that after a couple of years all the lacquer or plating falls off or the solder joints come away, and what will it be worth?

Regards,
    Julian.

tMP Friend in Training
    see I have a JP172 bought second hand, (from cash converters actually- looked like it had been bought for a child and never played) but I think it's one of their old ones, and there are just some niggles on it (the valve caps come loose during vigorous playing, and it feels a bit like it will dent if you look too hard at it) so am actually thinking about the next step up, as I do have some money from the sale of my cello (about 900) but would rather not spend all of it- so it's whether I jump right in, or buy something a little cheaper. hmmm.... i suppose if I go cheaper I may be able to afford a beat up Bb bass to go to whit friday marches with....

tMP Friend in Training
    Sorry to say bought three 172's two years ago for beginners (didn't take my own advice!) worse valves I have EVER experienced and tuning on lower notes awful! Good secondhand Imperial on Ebay usually go for under 200. One this week that didn't look half bad with a grey 'Bandite' case and some silver missing off slide ends went for 27 !!!

tMP Friend in Training
    Pants, missed that one ! I shall inform eb ben as he thinks I can recite the ebay tenor horn listings by heart

imperial nope.
    Globe stamp B&H or a 15-20 year old sovereign would be the best bet.
    The JP range is good, very good value, depends what standard you play to as to what you get out of the instrument. In most cases you get what you pay for.
    Aidan

tMP Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    imperial nope.
    Globe stamp B&H or a 15-20 year old sovereign would be the best bet.
    The JP range is good, very good value, depends what standard you play to as to what you get out of the instrument. In most cases you get what you pay for.
    Ditto, played on a "newer" band sov for years and some after some 10 years or more been bothered to finally go buy my own horn, bought a little worse for wear B&H roundstamp Sov and thought I had been done and payed WELL over the odds for it (1050), but despite all of that and the dings and bubbles its a 110% better sound, notes come out easier and just everything else is better.... I dont understand how they can be so different but they are and its Brill, go find one!

tMP Friend in Training
    so now to find one! John Packers have persuaded me to take a Kanstul horn on approval, so I'm awaiting it's arrival- but I can't imagine americans make an amazing tenor horn... we shall see when it arrives. Maybe I should be patient and await a round-stamp... maybe I should start killing off horn players!

tMP Friend in Training
    well the Kanstul is here- it's certainly better than the JP- but I would hope so considering it's 5x the price. It seems to have rather more notes, that are rather easier to find! However I'm awaiting some slightly more knowledgable assistance over the next few days!

tMP Friend in Training foxyflug's Avatar
    Glyn Williams Music have various tenor horns in stock, and at various prices. We have got a second hand Besson Sovereign at the moment, a second hand Prestige, a couple of Sterling Royale's (similar to the York Preference) and of course the top of the range Sterling Virtuoso's.

Drop me an email at helen@glynwilliamsmusic.co.uk and I can give you prices etc.

Cheers
    Helen Williams

tMP Friend in Training
    Well I now have a new (old) sov on it's way to me! Thanks Helen! it was a bit complicated, but that's why brother in laws are useful! the horn should hopefully be heading up to Aberdeen, before returning to North Yorkshire Via edinburgh!

tMP Friend in Training foxyflug's Avatar
    No worries Grace.....we got there in the end! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the instrument, its a cracker! Was nice to meet your brother-in-law at Blackpool.

tMP Friend in Training
    I probably should say that all the complications were at this end (including questions like, can we get to blackpool in under 45 minutes, from 10 miles south of scotch corner!) and that Helen at Glyn Williams music has been brilliant all the way through! (very nice snazzy website too!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2