Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: The flugel is not a real instrument

  1. #1
    tMP Master Friend Rambo Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    508

    The flugel is not a real instrument

    Hi all

    The above statement (title of thread) is NOT a representation of my views just to clarify!

    My friend works for a music company over here in New Zealand and they come out with the most ridiculous statements and requests from their workers, the above being one of them!

    Another quote which still has us flabbergasted/highly amused:

    <in the office one morning there was a strong smell of gas>
    my friend: "we should call the fire brigade/authorities"
    Office manager/owner: "no it's fine get to work, New Zealand gas isn't flammable anyway"

    So re the flugel thing; they had a well known performer of these parts come to audition for something and the company said after that they:

    "couldn't believe someone would audition on a FLUGEL, because its just a blending instrument, and isn't real, it's a nothing instrument" !!!

    outraged I was, Outraged!!

    Slightly tongue in cheek of course!
    Carolyn
    Flugel, Leopard Coachlines Canterbury Brass

    Definition of 'rall' or 'rit' - coming up to the bit you HAVEN'T practised

  2. #2
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    10.08.2007
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    13
    Typical!!! Someone should tell this "musical organisation" to look at just a couple of examples (Mahler 3 and Tippet 3) which confirms that the flugel is a real instrument. (Not bothering to even mention its relevance to brass bands of course, as he probably wouldn't recognise that as a credible musical entity, either...)

  3. #3
    tMP Master Friend worzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.01.2008
    Posts
    643
    What! He hasn't seen Brassed Off?

  4. #4
    tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    29.03.2003
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    5,768
    This bloke might disagree with them over the gas thing:
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Shoddy-workma...8/Default.aspx

    Sounds like a right bunch of plonkers!
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

  5. #5
    tMP Senior Friend Vegasbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    418
    It's a doubling instrument for the 3rd or 4th trumpet....
    There will never come a time when you don't have to practice.- J. J. Johnson

  6. #6
    tMP Master Friend P_S_Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    757
    In SA music it is a colouring instrument; along with - Soppy Rano, 2nd Barredone, Euphalonium, and all Thrombones!
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

  7. #7
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    03.01.2010
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo Chick View Post
    Hi all

    The above statement (title of thread) is NOT a representation of my views just to clarify!

    My friend works for a music company over here in New Zealand and they come out with the most ridiculous statements and requests from their workers, the above being one of them!

    Another quote which still has us flabbergasted/highly amused:

    <in the office one morning there was a strong smell of gas>
    my friend: "we should call the fire brigade/authorities"
    Office manager/owner: "no it's fine get to work, New Zealand gas isn't flammable anyway"

    So re the flugel thing; they had a well known performer of these parts come to audition for something and the company said after that they:

    "couldn't believe someone would audition on a FLUGEL, because its just a blending instrument, and isn't real, it's a nothing instrument" !!!

    outraged I was, Outraged!!

    Slightly tongue in cheek of course!
    What - on the basis that it is an "in-between" instrument?

    In that case, the tenor horn and baritone should be wary of these guys!

  8. #8
    The tenor horn is not a real instrument!

  9. #9
    tMP Master Friend Rambo Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by MoominDave View Post
    This bloke might disagree with them over the gas thing:
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Shoddy-workma...8/Default.aspx

    Sounds like a right bunch of plonkers!

    They certainly are!!
    Carolyn
    Flugel, Leopard Coachlines Canterbury Brass

    Definition of 'rall' or 'rit' - coming up to the bit you HAVEN'T practised

  10. #10
    tMP Senior Friend
    Join Date
    12.03.2011
    Posts
    328
    The flugal provides a nice colour in the band and a bridge between cnts and horns.
    That said, it's seriousness as an instrument is undermined by the fact that with few exceptions it is played by failed solo cornet players that have a pleasant sound, but neither the technique, range or endurance to make it on the front row / principle cornet.
    In this sense though it is no different to the baritone & perhaps tenor horn - which are played mostly by failed euph /cornet players.
    All these instruments in the hands of the very best players are "proper" instruments though - it's just a shame they attract losers.
    (As a cr*p bass player I think I can say this!)

  11. #11
    tMP Master Friend
    Join Date
    23.03.2011
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    The flugal provides a nice colour in the band and a bridge between cnts and horns.
    That said, it's seriousness as an instrument is undermined by the fact that with few exceptions it is played by failed solo cornet players that have a pleasant sound, but neither the technique, range or endurance to make it on the front row / principle cornet.
    In this sense though it is no different to the baritone & perhaps tenor horn - which are played mostly by failed euph /cornet players.
    All these instruments in the hands of the very best players are "proper" instruments though - it's just a shame they attract losers.
    (As a cr*p bass player I think I can say this!)
    Time for you to put your tin hat on mate !

  12. #12
    tMP Senior Friend CubbRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.11.2005
    Location
    Hinckley Leicestershire.
    Posts
    345
    I disagree that the Flugel is played by failed cornet/euphonium players.I would like you to say that to some of the top Flugel players in this country.It is a specialist instrument on which you develop your own style unlike a lot cornet players.
    I am a cornet player,but still love playing the Flugel and given any opportunity will take it out of its case and play.So.to make a satement like Flugel is played by failed cornet and euph players is a bit drastic.
    CubbRep
    Richard Stamp
    Repiano Cornet Cubbington Silver
    Principal Cornet Enderby Concert Band
    Principal Cornet The Warwickshire Band RRF

  13. #13
    tMP Senior Friend katieeuph's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.01.2009
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianroberts View Post
    Time for you to put your tin hat on mate !
    Nope, just time for him to crawl back under the bridge he came from (you know, the one the 3 Billy Goats Gruff frequent....)
    Last edited by katieeuph; 14.07.2011 at 13:24. Reason: missed letter

  14. #14
    tMP Master Friend Rambo Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    That said, it's seriousness as an instrument is undermined by the fact that with few exceptions it is played by failed solo cornet players that have a pleasant sound, but neither the technique, range or endurance to make it on the front row / principle cornet.
    ouch!! FEW exceptions? I'm afraid I have to disagree. Perhaps your experiences have been different. Speaking personally, flugel has been my main instrument on which (without blowing my own trumpet, da dum Cha!) I have technique, endurance (and although it could be improved, range). Flugel was the instrument on which I did my degree and I made it my own, and stood alongside the cornet players in terms of proficiency

    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin View Post
    In this sense though it is no different to the baritone & perhaps tenor horn - which are played mostly by failed euph /cornet players.
    All these instruments in the hands of the very best players are "proper" instruments though - it's just a shame they attract losers.
    (As a cr*p bass player I think I can say this!)
    Losers? - cutting remarks!! Ouchy ouchy!

    I think I get that you mean it may attract players who see it as an 'easy' instrument. Sadly, given the parts that are written for flugel, it is invariably less challenging than say solo cornet parts (of course there are exceptions), and a source of frustration for me as a flugel player who would like to see more challenging 'technical' music written for the flugel in brass bands.

    That said however,it can be argued that a slow melody played well is just as tricky as high technical fast stuff, especially because there's no room for bluffing!
    Carolyn
    Flugel, Leopard Coachlines Canterbury Brass

    Definition of 'rall' or 'rit' - coming up to the bit you HAVEN'T practised

  15. #15
    tMP Senior Friend
    Join Date
    12.03.2011
    Posts
    328
    A degree in flugal horn - would you like a large fries with that!?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •