+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terry Camsey, R.I.P.

Terry Camsey, R.I.P.

Terry Camsey has died in California, where he lived. He was a virtuoso cornet soloist with the International Staff Band, Upper Norwood SA Band, and the New York Staff Band. He also was a composer. His cornet solo “Life’s Pageant”, written in the style of Percy Code, was premiered by Terry and remains very popular.

I got to know Terry very well when we were in the ISB together. Previously, Terry had been a member of the Irish(?) Guards Band and then a public health inspector in London. He later emigrated to the USA, initially to New York, working for the SA, and later to California, where he became a SA officer.

Terry and his wife Beryl were recently in London for ISB120 where many of us were able to meet him again. He was a delightful personality, good humoured, highly talented and will be sadly missed.
    Brian Bowen

I was sorry to hear of Terry's passing. I only met him once, when he led the meetings - and contributed a couple of solos - at Hadleigh a few years ago, but we had exchanged a few emails and I always found him very approachable. My abiding memory of his playing will be the night at the Royal Albert Hall when he premiered Ray Bowes' "Rhapsody for Cornet and Band". The concert was raising money for Leukemia Research, Terry having lost a young daughter, Angela, to the disease. He was on top form that evening, including a stunning performance of "Life's Pageant", with glisses going much higher than the written copy!
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

I would like to pass on my condolences to Terry's wife and family. Salvationists of my generation will long remember his contribution to SA music, both as a performer and composer.
    Barry Brookes
    Telford

Ian Robinson

Terry Camsey

For those who are interested a Celebration of Life for Terry will be held at the Tustin Ranch Corps in Southern California on Saturday, July 16 at 1pm.

tMP Senior Friend TORBAY BRASS BAND's Avatar
    What a cornet player, one of the all time greats. Condolences to his family at this time. Can you imagine the front row of a heavenly band - Murphy, Watson, Camsey!

tMP Friend in Training Brass_Head's Avatar
    Terry is a legend in the true sense of the word. I hope that his modest contribution to SA music composition isn't overlooked, he wrote some gems.
    Andrew R. Mackereth
    Composer/Arranger
    Bandmaster Nuneaton Salvation Army
    MD Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    Co-Director Warks County Wind Band

Quote Originally Posted by Brass_Head View Post
    Terry is a legend in the true sense of the word. I hope that his modest contribution to SA music composition isn't overlooked, he wrote some gems.
    Just come across a clip of his song "The Unknown Way" sung by the NYSB - another gem that will never go out of fashion.

http://www.sallytube.org/videos/861/the-unknown-way
    Peter Bale
    BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
    Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
    tMP band, Whit Friday 2004; tMP band, Hadleigh, April 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Brass_Head View Post
    His music is always well received. It is a great Legacy that he, like all SA contributing composers, leaves to the SA world as a whole. All songsters and Bandsmen I am sure cherish both those composers we still have, and those like Terry who are no longer with us.

It must be some Corps, with the most amazing music, that is getting built in Heaven.
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

tMP Newbie
    I had the pleasure of meeting Terry at the Bromley Temple Composer's Night on the Monday night after the ISB120 celebrations. I was invited to attend by Dave Harrison and George Whittingham via my Salvation Army music, musicians & composers tribute website www.regalzonophone.com.

I had received a couple of emails from Terry making some comments about the music on my website and telling me just a few snippets about his experience. The one I recall, which he repeated at Bromley, was that he always found it easier to hit the high notes if he stood on his toes. I am not sure if that was fact or if he was just pulling our legs a little bit being too modest to say anything about his wonderful talents.

Salvation Army music stands on the shoulders of people such as he and many others who have contributed either with their composing or their wonderful playing. My website aims to continue to ensure that people such as he receive the honour due to them.

RIP Terry and thanks for your wonderful contribution to Salvation Army music.

Ian Barton
    www.regalzonophone.com
    Last edited by ianbarton; 07.07.2011 at 14:05. Reason: Typing error in signature URL

Marsha

Lightbulb WCMltNRMkdGA

i was setting on the first row of the first song of the first show of the Overdressed Tour, and i must say it was nntihog short of amazing. i first saw you guys in memphis (a great show), but i must say this topped it. Derek's opening was perfect. Then when Caedmon's came out an opened with my calm/Your storm, i was blown away. You guys absolutly gave me and my wife what we need for 2.5 hours on a thursday night. There have been many comments about Andy seeming out of place, but i must disagree. i felt he was right on, performed well, and blended well.i'm not sure i have ever had a better time at a concert. my wife and i got to sit back and absorb it all. and that is what i love about your concerts. i get sit back and chill, sing, tap my foot, play the air drums & maybe the air guitar, feel convicted, overjoyed, and sometimes brought to tears. O and i didn't know you guys were that funny.the concert was right on. thanks for making CBC your first stop.

+ Reply to Thread