Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Cheesyest arrangement ever!

Okay, I'm assuming nothing, my video has extra protection and I've emailed valentine. If they look at it on my facebook, they'll run the risk of pedofilia.. or something lol
    Thomas Brown

tMP Master Friend

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetTom View Post
    Okay, I'm assuming nothing, my video has extra protection and I've emailed valentine. If they look at it on my facebook, they'll run the risk of pedofilia.. or something lol
    Trust us, Tom, The Birdie Song is in copyright - I'm 99.9999999% sure. (This figure is not 100%, because it is, of course, conceivable that the composer was so ashamed of it that he denied all knowledge of the piece...)

But no-one in his right mind would make an exception of a piece which will probably pay his pension.

Don't believe people just because they give you the answer you want.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

Sorry Tom, but I've got to say this.
    You have had many pieces of top advice from people who actually know, and still, it seems that you want to go against their advice.
    Well, if you do continue against their advice, then you deserve everything that comes your way if someone shops you.
    It will be your own fault.
    When people as well respected as those that have tried to advise you (free advice as well) - Andi, Philip, Andrew, Moomin etc - and you ignore that advoce, then I'm sorry, that just smacks of arrogance and you could be heading for a very nasty experience.

Regards

Kev
    Kev Mann
    Ex Player

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.- Victor Hugo.

This particular thread now reports in excess of 1100 views, and that, to me, increases the risk to the op. Had he not announced his intentions on tMP, perhaps none of the audiences listening to his work would have given a second thought to the copyright implications.

I sincerely hope there are no vindictive members on this forum, but for complete peace of mind, I strongly recommend that TrumpetTom abandons the exercise.

And, before anyone should ask, I would never report anyone for copyright infringement, unless of course it involved one of my own original compositions.
    Barry Brookes
    Telford

Little bit off-topic perhaps, but....

Quote Originally Posted by eflatbass View Post
    And, before anyone should ask, I would never report anyone for copyright infringement, unless of course it involved one of my own original compositions.
    One rule for you, another for everyone else, perchance?

''after silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible''

I think Liza Minelli must read tMP- even she (on the Graham Norton Show tonight) was on about making sure that songs she covers are in the public domain !!

Yes I am not ignoring the advice and I am seeking extra info to what I have already got as suggested where suggested. If I was that solid on not taking it would I really be writing on here? Seriously? No, becuase as I say when loads of very respectful people say very different things you cant believe anything - for a start you don't know what to believe! But yeah I'll be cautious and take some of barry's advice.
    Thomas Brown

Quote Originally Posted by JesTperfect! View Post
    Little bit off-topic perhaps, but....

One rule for you, another for everyone else, perchance?
    No. All I am saying is, that I would do my best to protect my own interests, as would any other composer. I consider that it is the duty of other composers/copyright holders to protect their interests (as I am sure most of them do!).
    Barry Brookes
    Telford

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetTom View Post
    Yes I am not ignoring the advice and I am seeking extra info to what I have already got as suggested where suggested. If I was that solid on not taking it would I really be writing on here? Seriously? No, becuase as I say when loads of very respectful people say very different things you cant believe anything - for a start you don't know what to believe! But yeah I'll be cautious and take some of barry's advice.
    As regards the use of work for educational purposes - you may with to consult the UK copyright service's online factsheets, like this one.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co...work_of_others

Particularly this section:

Quote Originally Posted by UK Copyright Service View Post
    Copying parts of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or a sound recording, film or broadcast for the purpose of instruction or examination is allowed under the following conditions:

•The copying is done by the student or the person giving instruction.
    •The copying is not done via a reprographic process.
    •The source of the material is acknowledged.
    •The instruction is for a non-commercial purpose.
    So under the terms of copyright law it appears you would be covered if (for example) you or your tutor took four bars of a copyrighted work, and from that you expanded your own piece. Or if they gave you the melody line alone and asked you to harmonise it. But in each of these cases only if you also met the other criteria, which does not run to arranging the entire work. Or to putting it onto the internet, even for free.

I was told recently by a chap who's effectively a professional musician that he could quite legally arrange anything by anyone as long as it was only used for performance in a church at which no-one would was charged an entrance fee. (I must confess this was a new one on me, since our local church even got into trouble for photocopying the words from hymn books and putting them up on overhead projectors for the congregation to sing!) I've been checking the UK copyright service website on and off since, and have so far found no justification in law for this assertion. Anyone else know if this one holds any water?
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4