Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cheesyest arrangement ever!

tMP Friend in Training
    Better than the last arrangement of this I played...

...12 cornet players blowing across tuned J20 and Coke bottles

Are we sure it's not in the public domain? There's seems to be that many midi files and copies and stuff on the Internet and it ain't always 70 years after the death is it? Enescus not been dead that long I don't think and legend is in the public domain becuase I got my copy from imslp.

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    It's always 70 years in the UK, sorry. IMSLP makes things available that are public domain in the US, which has a less strict copyright term, and then puts the onus on you, the downloader, to check that it is legal for you to download it in the country where you are - they put up a very clear notice screen whenever you request anything spelling this out. So it is legal for IMSLP to put up an Enescu piece - but because he died 'only' 56 years ago, in 1955, it is not legal for you to download it in the UK, and quite ill-advised to advertise that you're doing it...

Just because something's widely done, it doesn't mean that it's legal - what it does mean is that lawmakers should give priority to reexamining the relevant legislation, as a law that makes criminals out of well-meaning people is clearly out of step with the society that it polices.
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Master Friend

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetTom View Post
    Are we sure it's not in the public domain? There's seems to be that many midi files and copies and stuff on the Internet and it ain't always 70 years after the death is it? Enescus not been dead that long I don't think and legend is in the public domain becuase I got my copy from imslp.
    From the Enescu page on imslp:-

Works by this person are most likely not public domain within the EU and in those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. They may also be protected by copyright in the USA, unless published before 1923, in which case they are PD there as well. However, this person's works are public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted), and in other countries where the copyright term is life+50 years.

It would be a good idea for you to familiarise yourself with current copyright law if you want to do some arranging. Much good stuff is available to you and copyright material can be licenced. Or you could move to Canada....
    Last edited by Anglo Music Press; 02.06.2011 at 11:09.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

Ah just read that. They should make it more like YouTube where it blocks it if it's illegal in your country! Anyway the video isn't listed anymore and I'm looking into getting copyright permission becuase then can publish it too..... If anyone will have it btw does the fact I spelt it wrong make a difference? it was stolen from elsewhere anyway.

We need a better copyright system where you have to list your pieces and then have details up where you can be contacted - not hard!!! I'd be up for listing mine.

Thought I was on a win here! But then saw Swiss copyright law. Gets me out of the eneso thing though I think!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/5/made

tMP Posting Freak!!! MoominDave's Avatar
    But then saw Swiss copyright law. Gets me out of the eneso thing though I think!
    How?
    Dave Taylor
    Bass Trombone
    Kidlington

tMP Master Friend

Thought I was on a win here! But then saw Swiss copyright law. Gets me out of the eneso thing though I think!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/5/made
    Indeed, how??

You are subject to UK copyright law (unless there is a Skelmanthorpe in Switzerland that I am not aware of).

Swiss copyright law does not come into it. Even if it did, it is the same as EU copyright law in terms of duration, so...... I'm really puzzled what you mean!
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

Either way it does not make a difference as Swiss copyright law is the same, BUT read point 6. I probably am wrong but this is how I understand it. And turns out enesco was Romanian and no American like I thought.

tMP Master Friend

Either way it does not make a difference as Swiss copyright law is the same, BUT read point 6. I probably am wrong but this is how I understand it. And turns out enesco was Romanian and no American like I thought.
    And Romania is in the EU, so....................
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

It doesn't matter where the composer was born. What's important is the copyright law of the country you live in.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

But then why does it say differently there!!! I don't want an argument I want a discussion so can somebody explain point 6 please becuase I don't get it, presuming you are right.

tMP Master Friend

But then why does it say differently there!!! I don't want an argument I want a discussion so can somebody explain point 6 please becuase I don't get it, presuming you are right.
    He is right.

In practice, any published work will have a subpublisher in the UK. This makes the country of 'origin' (of the published edition) the UK. So, as far as you're concerned, UK law applies to everything, in practice.

Before UK copyright was extended to 70 years, there was a period when Gershwin was still copyright in the States, but pd here. UK laws superceded those of the 'country of origin'. Ravel is pd here (d. 1937) but still copyright in France - even though we are both in the EU - as the French passed a law to say he's still alive (or something!!). So please don't try Swiss law (why???). Stick to 70 years and you'll be fine.

If you want to find out if a work is pd or not, PRS for Music will help you.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

When you mention the "Swiss Copyright Law", I assume you meant the Berne Convention? Have a look at the details surrounding it's implementation and membership. It should clarify things a little more ...

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co...rne_convention
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Thankyou Philip that explains! And Swiss law is 70 years also anyway so this was more of a for other works kindo thing. So (completely hypothetical) say there was a piece of music not published in this country that's origins were in some country where copyright laws are at the composers death and the composer died last week, would an arranger be able to use it without permission legally?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast