Thread: Tips for the National?

Tips for the National?

It's the big one on Saturday and there's enough REAL bookmakers out there without me quoting on all 40 runners.

What's everyone's thoughts? we haven't had a back-to-back winner since Red Rum and Don't Push it is 12/1 most places at the moment

As for me? Well I usually back whoever Ruby Walsh is riding at that means The Midnight Club HOWEVER I also make it rule never to bet on the favourite around Aintree so my tip is Ballabriggs, the Irish are on fire at the moment and Jason Macguire is due a win around the big fences, 14/1 most places (snap that up now as it WILL shorten before race day). I'm starting to sound like Garry Wiltshire now...

C'mon then, who are you backing and why?
    Paddy's Fantasy Brass Band League
    NEEDS YOU!!!
    Punt your way to the top

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Taking into account averages of age, weight carried, price, form and jockey, based on the last 10 and 20 years winners,

Age 10
    Weight 10-9
    Best Price 13/1
    Jockey S. Whaley-Cohen
    Country trained in Ireland

My tip is Oscar Time

Whaley-Cohen won the Gold Cup in fine style.
    Irish horseS often win
    Based on trends it meets all three of the values for my criteria.

For an E/W I would get on Silver by Nature
    Only thing against is that it is a grey, and this would be the first grey in 50 years to win since Niclaus Silver in 1961, prior to that, it was The Lamb in 1871.

Outsider with a chance, check the bookies are paying 5 places, still worth it with 4!
    In Compliance
    This meets most of my criteria, except price, best of 66/1 worst 33/1.
    This is one of the 11 offspring that Old Vic has sired, and three of his horses have accounted for two of the last three winners, and two of the last three runners up.

Last one is Northern Alliance - One if my colleagues has backed this @ 33/1. He also backed Mon Mome in 2009 and didn't tell anyone

Those are my choices, and will probably all be down by the Chair or will go on to fill the first four places
    Nothing to see

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Flower View Post
    It's the big one on Saturday and there's enough REAL bookmakers out there without me quoting on all 40 runners.

What's everyone's thoughts? we haven't had a back-to-back winner since Red Rum and Don't Push it is 12/1 most places at the moment

As for me? Well I usually back whoever Ruby Walsh is riding at that means The Midnight Club HOWEVER I also make it rule never to bet on the favourite around Aintree so my tip is Ballabriggs, the Irish are on fire at the moment and Jason Macguire is due a win around the big fences, 14/1 most places (snap that up now as it WILL shorten before race day). I'm starting to sound like Garry Wiltshire now...

C'mon then, who are you backing and why?
    And we haven't had a winner of 11-06 or greater since Red Rum 1977 carrying 11-08 and in 1974 carrying 12-00.

I think Don't Push It will struggle with the top weight, but will beclose on the day. McCoy will want to prove that his win last year was not a fluke.
    Nothing to see

I don't think the office sweep stakes have taken place yet, hence no reponses
    Nothing to see

First day on the BBC today so some people will start thinking about it soon. I was smiling today until Denman...

(Hoping Jason Macguire OK to ride Ballabriggs on Saturday)
    NEEDS YOU!!!
    Punt your way to the top

Big Bucks and Zankandar both @ 4/6. Denman losing wasn't a bad thing

In relation to my tips, I have set a new record Northern Alliance didn't make the cut
    Nothing to see

Leaving a darn good jockey (Barry Geraghty) without a ride, surely he's now 1st reserve for a number of horses...
    NEEDS YOU!!!
    Punt your way to the top

tMP Friend in Training Cornet_Matt's Avatar
    Ballabriggs does look a good horse, and I couldn't resist going for Donald McCain with all that family history behind him! I'm hoping Jason Macguire will be fit, he was looking well riding yesterday, so fingers crossed for that!

I've also gone for Character Building because I've always supported the grey horses, and with it coming seventh last year, and still getting better, there could be a possible success here!

I've also backed Ruby Walsh on Midnight Club, as he has been in fantastic form at Aintree, and I know you shouldn't go off that, but I couldn't think of anyone better to bring the favourite home!
    Matthew Thomas
    Blackburn & Darwen Band
    Shepherd Group Brass Band
    University of York Brass Band

Paddy is on fire!!!

We are two happy people Matthew. I'm 140.00 richer, you?
    NEEDS YOU!!!
    Punt your way to the top

My donkey fell at the 4th fence, I've had no luck on the national since Monty's Pass won it a few years back

Should've listened to you Paddy

Still got Second and went for State of Play as a back up to Northern Alliance
    Nothing to see

Thank you Paddy!! Ballabriggs 20 to win makes me a bit richer! Also had a fiver on both Oscar time and State of play each way so i'm more than happy!!!
    Matt Warman
    Principal Cornet

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam bass View Post
    Should've listened to you Paddy

Still got Second and went for State of Play as a back up to Northern Alliance
    To do better than break-even is always an achivement

Quote Originally Posted by mjwarman View Post
    Thank you Paddy!! Ballabriggs 20 to win makes me a bit richer! Also had a fiver on both Oscar time and State of play each way so i'm more than happy!!!
    Wow nearly a full house. I backed Don't push it on betfair at 7/2 to place as Gary Wilshire was convinced it would start favourite, my plan was to lay it at a shorter price (thus getting a free bet effectively), unfortunately it kept drifting so I didn't bother with the lay in the end, so that was more happiness
    NEEDS YOU!!!
    Punt your way to the top