View Poll Results: Which is your preferred code of Rugby.

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Union.

7 58.33%
  • League.

2 16.67%
  • I like both.

3 25.00%
  • Egg-chasing? Pah!

0 0%

Thread: League or Union?

tMP Friend for Life Thirteen Ball's Avatar

League or Union?

With the recent matches of the six nations drawing much discussion amongst some of us in the office, and the fact it's closely coincided with the start of the rugby league season this has drawn open the old debate as to which is the preferred code of egg-chasing.

Despite being a Yorkshireman born and raised, I've never really bonded with League. (Probably from being primarily a football, cricket and motor-racing man) Though am starting to gain a certain measure of liking for union - much to the derision of many of my work-colleagues. It just makes more tactical sense to me and the ability to retain posession beyond a set number of tackles means it fits better into what I know from other sports.

So what's your chosen bloodsport?
    Andi Cook: BBb Bass - Hebden Bridge
    Composer in Residence - Skelmanthorpe

Find me at www.penninemusic.com and www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk
    Got a piece you want arranging? Email thirteen_ball_music@yahoo.co.uk or tweet @13BallMusic to discuss...

League better to watch. Unless you are from the M62 line, the sport dosen't seem to take off nationallly or internationally.

union too much whistle blowing, stop/start and is generally a penalty kicking competition. But I do like watching international union for some reason.

Union and league for me went downhill after union turned professional.
    Stella Johnson
    Ex Player

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Union, although there is a certain amount of stop/start, which was brought about by the many changes to the laws, is a more fluid game, and allows the play to develop. League on the other hand is more akin to American Football where you get a finite number of attempts to get forward. If you fail to get the requisite distance, i.e, beyond the try line the ball is kicked or turned over.

The scrummage in Union is an offensive or defensive part of the game, where as in League it is nothing more than an organised maul.

For league though, every one is a ball carrier, and anyone can get in on the try scoring act, but with Union there are the glory boys, or the backs, as they perfer to be called, and the donkeys, or the forwards. THe majority of tries will be scored by the backs, using flair and skill. The Number 8 will score a few off the back of a 5yd scrum,and the rest of the forwards will either never score a try, or be invilved in a try line shove.

You will get more forwards kicking in League. The exception to this was John Eals, the Aussie Union captain, who basically said "I'm the captain, I take the conversions and penalties!"

The main advantage of League over Union is the scoring systen that rewards tries over penalties and drop kicks. If Union adopted this approach I think there would be more movement, and moer attempts to score tries, rather than having teams score two converted tries, and losing a game to a kicking team with 5 penalties.

But when all is said and done, I played Union, and prefer Union.

Union.

Especially for kids. Everyone can find a position that suits them. From the fat boys in the scrum, to the skinny kids at full back or wing.

And League is for girls.
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

League every time, but you knew that already Andi.

Tempting as it is to respond, I'll ignore Rapier's comment!
    Agent Orange
    Solo Euphonium.
    EYMS Band

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam bass View Post
    but with Union there are the glory boys, or the backs,
    Or girls!

I've played both codes and follow both codes although sometimes that seems like torture. I can't really choose between the two.

On a slightly different note (and thinking about the many, many enjoyable nights I've spent in bars post match), which organisation could consume more alcohol, a rugby team or a brass band!
    Sam

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkie19 View Post
    Or girls!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie19 View Post
    I've played both codes and follow both codes although sometimes that seems like torture. I can't really choose between the two.

On a slightly different note (and thinking about the many, many enjoyable nights I've spent in bars post match), which organisation could consume more alcohol, a rugby team or a brass band!
    A brass band tour of Rugby clubs in the UK

Shall we get Rayburn Tours to quote

League for me, although I do love watching the 6 nations also.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam bass View Post

A brass band tour of Rugby clubs in the UK

Shall we get Rayburn Tours to quote
    Sounds like a plan!
    Sam