Iím doing a bit of research into portable pedal timpani with a view of one day purchasing a decent pair of portable copper timps. Iíve not really had much of a chance to play portable timps and was wondering how they compare to some of the standard copper timps Iíve used before, i.e. the type of timps that are provided at contests - Eventz Premiers (Concert/Elites I think), Ray Payneís Majestics, etc.
There are 6 models Iím aware of:
- Adams universals
- Adams revolutions
- Majestic Harmonics
- Majestic Prophonics
- Majestic Concert
- Yamaha 3100 Series (OK, these are aluminium not copper)
So a few questions:
- Has anyone had any experience of these?
- What should I look for? Has anyone got any advice re portable timps?
- How do they compare to standard copper timps?
- How much should I be looking at paying for a pair?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of hammered bowls?
Any help/advice appreciatedÖ