Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arban - Difficulty rankings??

tMP Friend in Training

Arban - Difficulty rankings??

I've returned to playing Cornet after a few years and I'm currently working through Arbans 14 studies and wondered what the 'order of difficulty' would be.

Appreciate this is totally subjective and one mans No.12 is anothers mans No. 4... and each one tests different things to different degrees.

eg: No. 12 is currently on ABRSM Grade 7 for Cornet, and No. 10 is Gd 8 - but I reckon playing No. 10 is harder.

Would be interested to hear thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by kronk View Post
    eg: No. 12 is currently on ABRSM Grade 7 for Cornet, and No. 10 is Gd 8 - but I reckon playing No. 10 is harder
    That's why number 10 is grade 8 but number 12 is only grade 7

On a serious note - They're both quite hard. I personally think 10 is harder.
    Gosport Solent Brass - Solo Cornet :)

tMP Friend
    I understand that different things are hard for different people ( I can't even play no.1!), but I think the general idea with the Arban is to concentrate on the 100'ish pages before the solos/studies until they are all within reach.

tMP Friend in Training
    I agree that the difficulty lies in mastering the technique to then master the study. There is no need to rank them. If you need to do that then you are probably approaching it the wrong way round.

I don't think they can be ranked anyway. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. The one I have the most difficulty with may be more straightforward for others.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

They're not in difficulty order!.....

Carnival of Venice is Diploma standard and there's a bit in the book that's a Grade 5 Study (and I'm sure my students hate me for making them play it!)

Must get back on the studies, haven't played them for ages, I'd almost memorised a few of them at uni!
    General musical prostitute
    Bryan Herman (Facebook)
    bryanthetrumpet (skype)
    Soprano Cornet - Sandhurst Silver Band
    Soprano Cornet - tMP Whit Friday band 2004/2007/Hadleigh concert

Are we talking about the solos at the back of the book? haha
    National Youth Band of New Zealand - 2nd Euphonium

is there any definitive recordings of the 14 studies? I'm trying to teach a lad number 6 and I cant help but think its been written incorrectly. All the recordings by unshaven American students on youtube seem to play the slower bit at the wrong tempo. Is this a commonly known mistake or is my brain malfunctioning? (the later isn't out of the question)

Quote Originally Posted by toby hobson View Post
    is there any definitive recordings of the 14 studies? I'm trying to teach a lad number 6 and I cant help but think its been written incorrectly. All the recordings by unshaven American students on youtube seem to play the slower bit at the wrong tempo. Is this a commonly known mistake or is my brain malfunctioning? (the later isn't out of the question)
    David Baldwin has recorded them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Etude-The.../dp/B001KP6MO2
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by toby hobson View Post
    Just bought a book with all the studies plus piano accompaniment (Copyright 2008, Brass Wind Publications) - comes with a CD with all the studies at practice and performance tempo, including sample performances. Paul Mayes is the trumpeter.
    Will help you with your student definitely!

tMP Friend in Training
    Oh, and I'm a MCFC fan!

tMP Senior Friend simonbassbone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kronk View Post
    oh, and i'm a mcfc fan!

rooooonneeyyyy!!!!!!
    Bass Trombone Soham Comrades Band
    Semper in excreta, solum profudum variat.

tMP Newbie
    Study No. 6 is not there yet....but have a look at thuis way of practising Study No.1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjEtV...ature=youtu.be
    You may be interested in looking at Carnival of Venivce as well. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadGj...feature=relmfu

tMP Friend in Training
    Great positive comment. Nice! When I first posted I got some holier than thou comments about mastering the previous pages in Arban..blah blah...can't rank Arban...blah blah! Anyway, since then, as the Replicant at the end of Bladerunner said "I've seen things you wouldnt believe".... and I can say my insight to brassbands is a mixture. Positives : I loved playing and practicing, Whit Marches and Regionals. Negatives : Ive never been caught in such a malodorous, negative, self destructive, arrogant, aloof, nonsensical, self-gratutidal, irrelevant, petty and politically destructive environment as brassbands. Trumpet then..... Always trumpet......

tMP Friend
    isn't the idea that these are all testing different specifics? e.g. there's one at the end that noone ever plays that is just chromatic scales - easy if you can do chromatic scales, impossible otherwise.

personally i find all of the arban studies a "bit of a blow" to say the least so the longer ones with no breaks are the most difficult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast