Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Brighouse to recruit women

Brighouse to recruit women

Brighouse are taking women. Its been rumoured for a while but apparently David King has had his way.
    I get the imprresion that some members of the band don't feel comfortable with the idea.

What do you think?
    Donna Towse

tMP Senior Friend
    I think that not recruiting women is plain stupid, rather than just discriminatory. I mean, Brighouse haven't hardly been through a bad patch recently and I'm not saying they have, but if there was a top woman player available and they had a seat available, it is just stupid to disregard them on the grounds of their sex. Just my opinion, I simply believe it is an archaic way to look at the banding world.
    Chris Hart

The true nature of a great song is one that keeps your hopes up whilst waiting for the emergency services

RecruitED? They have one already don't they? According to last week's rumours!
    Andy Cattanach, BBb Tuba + Bass Trombone.

Intrada Brass Ensemble. Brighouse and Rastrick Band.

Beer: So much more than just a breakfast drink.

tMP Friend in Training
    at last. and those that don't like it - where can they go. oops no top bands left with no women. guess they'll have to lump it.

only took several decades but the debate has now finished.

at flippin last.

don't see many women at grimey on a regular basis though

edit: beurgh
    Last edited by Aidan; 07.12.2010 at 22:21.
    Aidan

Normally I would be 'yeah, let the women in, great idea'. But in this case I find myself having an abnormal stance on the subject.

It is the last band to let women in. If it was the ONLY top section band in the country and no women were allowed, I would think it unfair. But it's not like there aren't a fair few other top bands. So if they wish to remain all male, it's not such a bad thing.

And tis a brave woman who ventures into the all-male banding territory!
    Carolyn
    Flugel, Leopard Coachlines Canterbury Brass

Definition of 'rall' or 'rit' - coming up to the bit you HAVEN'T practised

tMP Newbie
    I think the subject of women in brass bands would make an excellent article for 4barsrest, if they can manage to take it seriously.

My first Championship Contest, as a spectator was in the mid 1970s and I don't think there were more than half a dozen girls in the whole contest. Our village band took their first girl on board in the early 1970s (and she went on to marry within the band and their children and I think grandchildren are now involved). I realise it is a bit off topic from the top bands taking on women, but it is an indication of the changing times.

When/who was Dykes first female player?

Bands not taking women is just the most ridiculous thing ever!!

I think i'm correct in saying that with Grimey at the Whit Friday marches a number of years ago, if a wife or partner wanted to attend, they had to follow the band coach in their car!!

First and foremost it's playing ability, then 'are you able to give required commitment', then does your personality 'fit' with the band? I.e. You wont rock the boat/egos left at the door etc.

Are you male or female shouldn't come into it!

I could be reaching too far here, but are some of our 'top' bands now more or less a business? With equal rights etc shouldn't they be careful with this issue?
    ''There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.''

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    It would be a very brave women to join B+R, if the disgusting alpha male behaviour I witnessed a couple of years ago at Whit Friday is anything to go by. Unless things have greatly changed it would not be a pleasant environment for any woman (or indeed most men) to be in.
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMBabe View Post
    It would be a very brave women to join B+R, if the disgusting alpha male behaviour I witnessed a couple of years ago at Whit Friday is anything to go by.
    Now will you elaborate on this????
    ''There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.''

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo Chick View Post
    Normally I would be 'yeah, let the women in, great idea'. But in this case I find myself having an abnormal stance on the subject.

It is the last band to let women in. If it was the ONLY top section band in the country and no women were allowed, I would think it unfair. But it's not like there aren't a fair few other top bands. So if they wish to remain all male, it's not such a bad thing.

And tis a brave woman who ventures into the all-male banding territory!
    Nothing brave about it at all. Dont be such a girl!
    Donna Towse

Quote Originally Posted by DMBabe View Post
    It would be a very brave women to join B+R, if the disgusting alpha male behaviour I witnessed a couple of years ago at Whit Friday is anything to go by. Unless things have greatly changed it would not be a pleasant environment for any woman (or indeed most men) to be in.
    I repeat...Not brave. They are just people the same as everyone else.
    Donna Towse

Quote Originally Posted by towse1972 View Post
    ... and here's me thinking that Dave King has got in touch with you!
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    Now will you elaborate on this????
    Have sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by towse1972 View Post
    What? The women are people like everyone else or B+R are people like everyone else? And we all know there are varying types of "people"......
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

tMP Friend in Training
    as far as i'm concerned saying it's okay to have all male bands simply because they're are other bands who let in women makes about as much sense as if dyke had a 'whites only' policy which they justified by saying that grimethorpe were prepared to let in a few black people.

utterly daft argument.

in the next few years this debate will finally die. our future is in more women. it'll improve banding for all.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast