Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Commissioned Test Pieces...

tMP Master Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    Not forgetting Music for Battle Creek (Sparke) for the 2007 finals
    Not so. It was commissioned by the Brass Band of Battle Creek (!!) and selected for the RAH. The National Championships don't very often commission test pieces these days, either for regionals or finals, though there are exceptions, of course.

I'm distinguishing between 'would you like to write us a test piece' and 'can we commission a test piece'.. ie is there actually a fee involved.

It is, of course, very nice to have a piece used either way.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo Music Press View Post
    Not so. It was commissioned by the Brass Band of Battle Creek (!!) and selected for the RAH. The National Championships don't very often commission test pieces these days, either for regionals or finals, though there are exceptions, of course.

I'm distinguishing between 'would you like to write us a test piece' and 'can we commission a test piece'.. ie is there actually a fee involved.

It is, of course, very nice to have a piece used either way.
    Yes this is what I found and meant in my original post, that it seems nationals are not using commissions much anymore. I had not gone as far as looking at the Europeans and other festivals but will have to do so.

It is interesting what you say about the difference between asking for a test piece and actually commissioning one. Is it still the case that composers are asked to write a test piece for nothing?
    Hitchin Band
    London and Southern Counties Third Section Champions 2012
    NATIONAL FINALS THIRD SECTION CHAMPIONS 2012
    London and Southern Counties Second Section Champions 2013

tMP Friend in Training
    I'm pretty sure that Within Blue Empires was commissioned by the Coalburn Band and not for the contest. I seem to remember something about it from the sleeve notes...and I thought Red Priest was commissioned by Black Dyke - for use as own choice at the Europeans (or whichever contest) and not specifically by the contest for the contest. (That's why internet forums aren't the best place to quote information from. Best to take it all with a pinch of salt and back it up with your own research)

tMP Master Friend

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLouise View Post
    Yes this is what I found and meant in my original post, that it seems nationals are not using commissions much anymore. I had not gone as far as looking at the Europeans and other festivals but will have to do so.

It is interesting what you say about the difference between asking for a test piece and actually commissioning one. Is it still the case that composers are asked to write a test piece for nothing?
    I can, obviously, only speak from personal experience. I've been lucky enough to have 3 Championship Finals pieces, but none of them was commissioned by the Nationals. My piece for the English Nationals was a full commission at a professional rate. The Europeans also commission properly. A couple of years ago one of the Area pieces was 'commissioned' but generally I think composers are grateful to have the exposure and a number of guaranteed sales.

Pieces I've written for individual bands' own-choices for the Europeans have been commissioned by the bands.
    Philip Sparke
    Anglo Music Press
    The music of Philip Sparke

for more details, visit
    www.philipsparke.com

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wittig View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Within Blue Empires was commissioned by the Coalburn Band and not for the contest. I seem to remember something about it from the sleeve notes...and I thought Red Priest was commissioned by Black Dyke - for use as own choice at the Europeans (or whichever contest) and not specifically by the contest for the contest. (That's why internet forums aren't the best place to quote information from. Best to take it all with a pinch of salt and back it up with your own research)

Haha definately! I just needed a starting point really to work from and get researching!
    Hitchin Band
    London and Southern Counties Third Section Champions 2012
    NATIONAL FINALS THIRD SECTION CHAMPIONS 2012
    London and Southern Counties Second Section Champions 2013

tMP Friend in Training

Smile Sbbf

SBBF, the Swedish Brass Band Federation, commission one test piece every year for the Elite section.
    For the other sections the feature one composer every year. This year they have commisioned new pieces for all sections.

tMP Posting Freak!!! DublinBass's Avatar
    I believe MacBeth (Meechan) was commissioned for the Scottish Open a few years back. Also, about 10 years ago Masters of Space and Time was a joint commission betwee the British Open and North American Championships (although the Open ended up passing on it).

I think the Open often has a new commission every 2-3 years (as the Masters did for a while)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2