Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Those Green christmas books

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    tMP Friend in Training tubagod's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.09.2003
    Location
    Holstebro, Denmark
    Posts
    80

    Those Green christmas books

    yes yes, i know!

    a bit early with the christmas stuff.

    does anybody this set http://www.justmusicuk.com/spweb/det...?catno=JM47290

    will it work for a small band, like our precious 120 hymns or will it require a full band?

    Regards
    Martin
    umbah umbah who says its boring to play the bass?

  2. #2
    tMP Prime Friend GJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.11.2003
    Location
    A pub, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,005
    There are a mixture of pieces, some originally published in the SA "General" series, some in the "Triumph" series. The "General" Series numbers will need pretty much a full band to play them properly, the Triumph Series were originally scored for a reduced score line-up, comprising Sop, 1st Cornet, 2nd Cornet, 1st Horn, 2nd Horn, 1st Bari., 2nd Bari., 1st Trom., 2nd Trom., Bs. Trom., Euph., Eb Bass, Bb Bass & Perc.

    There is frequently some divisi writing in the cornet parts, so I would say you would need 4 or 5 cornets. There is lots of cross cueing, so technically 2nd horn and 2nd Bari. parts can be ditched, as can all trombone parts. On paper you can play them with one bass, however if you play the pieces with the absolute theoretical minimum combo, they will sound a bit thin.

    It depnds on what you mean by a "small" band, really. If you're talking about a really small line-up, then these are the books you really want: http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/soc36ca.html

    Hope that helps.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

  3. #3
    tMP Friend in Training tubagod's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.09.2003
    Location
    Holstebro, Denmark
    Posts
    80
    it does actually

    thank you very much!
    umbah umbah who says its boring to play the bass?

  4. #4
    tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.2003
    Location
    Wellingborough, NN8 2QH
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    There are a mixture of pieces, some originally published in the SA "General" series, some in the "Triumph" series. The "General" Series numbers will need pretty much a full band to play them properly, the Triumph Series were originally scored for a reduced score line-up, comprising Sop, 1st Cornet, 2nd Cornet, 1st Horn, 2nd Horn, 1st Bari., 2nd Bari., 1st Trom., 2nd Trom., Bs. Trom., Euph., Eb Bass, Bb Bass & Perc.

    There is frequently some divisi writing in the cornet parts, so I would say you would need 4 or 5 cornets. There is lots of cross cueing, so technically 2nd horn and 2nd Bari. parts can be ditched, as can all trombone parts. On paper you can play them with one bass, however if you play the pieces with the absolute theoretical minimum combo, they will sound a bit thin.

    It depnds on what you mean by a "small" band, really. If you're talking about a really small line-up, then these are the books you really want: http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/soc36ca.html

    Hope that helps.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself, Gareth!
    Thank you.

  5. #5
    tMP Friend in Training delboy822's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.11.2007
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Posts
    63
    We play the red books which are just 4 part harmony with a few embellishments in the euph/flug/sop parts... http://www.brassband.co.uk/sheet-mus...e-worldofbrass

    Majority are the traditional carols, but there's some fun one's at the back like frosty the snowman, santa got stuck up the chimney and rudolph etc...
    Katie Trotter
    Solo Horn
    Newtongrange Silver Band

  6. #6
    tMP Friend in Training
    Join Date
    17.05.2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    13
    Just to clarify (I hope) - there have been two different sets of red carol books mentioned:

    New Christmas Praise - contains carols in traditional hymn book style format (no or little added decoration) and as Katie states in her post it does include basic versions of several secular (or contemporary) carols at the back.

    Sounds of Christmas - is a set of carol arrangements (including a few marches) which expands on the basic carols with linking passages, changes of key, harmonic developments and rhythmic changes. Some pieces also combine carols in 'medley' format.

    Both books will work successfully with a minimum of 4/5 players up to a full band.

  7. #7
    tMP Master Friend P_S_Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by cornet-blower View Post
    Just to clarify (I hope) - there have been two different sets of red carol books mentioned:

    New Christmas Praise - contains carols in traditional hymn book style format (no or little added decoration) and as Katie states in her post it does include basic versions of several secular (or contemporary) carols at the back.

    Sounds of Christmas - is a set of carol arrangements (including a few marches) which expands on the basic carols with linking passages, changes of key, harmonic developments and rhythmic changes. Some pieces also combine carols in 'medley' format.

    Both books will work successfully with a minimum of 4/5 players up to a full band.

    And to confuse, there is also a further Green Book (Dark Green) that contains a compilation of many Christmas Marches/Selections/Arrangements etc that have been published individually over the years (eg Christmas Joy, Christmas Praise, the Carollers etc), but this is aimed at full bands (SA configs)
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

  8. #8
    tMP Prime Friend GJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.11.2003
    Location
    A pub, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by P_S_Price View Post
    ... there is also a further Green Book (Dark Green) that contains a compilation of many Christmas Marches/Selections/Arrangements etc that have been published individually over the years (eg Christmas Joy, Christmas Praise, the Carollers etc), but this is aimed at full bands (SA configs)
    ... which is exactly what the OP was asking about ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

  9. #9
    tMP Master Friend P_S_Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    760
    Ah I thought he was referring to the 'Old' Green Carol Books which were never basic SATB.
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

  10. #10
    tMP Prime Friend GJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.11.2003
    Location
    A pub, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by P_S_Price View Post
    ... the 'Old' Green Carol Books which were never basic SATB.
    Not so. If you look inside the front covers of the original "Christmas Praise" (Green) Books, you'll find the same legend as in the original Tune Book Supplements (and the later "New Christmas Praise"):

    "Soprano: Solo/1st Cornet
    Alto: 2nd Cornet; Solo/1st Horn
    Tenor: 2nd Horn; 1st Baritone
    Bass: Eb Bass; Bb Bass
    All other parts used for doubling and colour" (or similar wording)

    Were it not for the additional secular Christmas melodies included in the "New" CP, I would much prefer to use the original CP books for small-group carolling purposes; the original SATB harmonisations were more "classically" satisfying and professionally scored than many of the new versions ... (IMHO, of course )
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

  11. #11
    tMP Prime Friend GJG's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.11.2003
    Location
    A pub, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,005
    Well, in the case of "O Holy Night", the original, being for solo voice with piano accomp. wasn't SATB anyway, so it's hardly a fair example. And, no, I wouldn't dream of attempting it with only 4 players. Aside from that, I would dispute your assertion that there are "many" other examples. I'm not saying I know the books very well, but even now I can still call the numbers of virtually all the carols from memory ...
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

  12. #12
    tMP Master Friend P_S_Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    15.11.2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    ... but even now I can still call the numbers of virtually all the carols from memory ...

    I know what you mean, having spent over 30 years playing them every Christmas, on a variety of parts, the arrangements were like Old Friends.

    My Favourite trick, when I used to live in London and commute, was to go to the band playing in the station (when I saw them using those books) and ask for O Holy Night, and watch the faces of the Cornets !

    (Mind you I hated it when it was done to us. After a couple of hours Solid freezing Cold on the High Street we used to dread that one).
    Pete:
    Rochdale Salvation Army Band - Solo Horn,
    SA CN Divisional Band - 1st Horn
    Available for Depping (I'm Cheap me - I play for free) .

  13. #13
    tMP Friend sbandsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    28.09.2007
    Location
    Stamford
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by P_S_Price View Post
    I know what you mean, having spent over 30 years playing them every Christmas, on a variety of parts, the arrangements were like Old Friends.

    My Favourite trick, when I used to live in London and commute, was to go to the band playing in the station (when I saw them using those books) and ask for O Holy Night, and watch the faces of the Cornets !

    (Mind you I hated it when it was done to us. After a couple of hours Solid freezing Cold on the High Street we used to dread that one).
    I used to find after playing for the first week of caroling the books were ether dispensed with/swapped around or just put up for show, as the memory took over from playing them for so many years. That used to be "fun"!!!!!!!!!
    Shaun
    Perc.
    Stamford Brass
    Many hands make light work ........but how many percussionists to change a light bulb?

  14. #14
    tMP Master Friend Aussie Tuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.2003
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    846
    we have played O Holy Night from the new red book with 6 players quite succesfully so it is still possible even with a small group.
    I must say I like the look of the new Green book with all those christmas arrangements in one place. Will be mentioning that to Our Bandmaster as soon as I see him after the school holidays. Looks like a winner
    Aussie Tuba
    Eb Bass
    Windsor Brass

  15. #15
    tMP Prime Friend WorldofBrass.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.2003
    Location
    Wellingborough, NN8 2QH
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Tuba View Post
    I must say I like the look of the new Green book with all those christmas arrangements in one place.
    It's not that new, it's been available for several years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •