View Poll Results: Would a regular band website review be of interest to you?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 86.57%
  • No

9 13.43%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Band website reviews

tMP Friend in Training

Band website reviews

Isn't it time this feature was resurrected, maybe in a slightly different format? Wasn't it Sparkling Quavers that used to have a website that reviewed band websites?

The band website is their 'shop window' selling themselves and the movement in general to the public. Why not pick a website each month and let everyone give their opinions, good or bad, it can only lead to improvement to sites?

Go ahead - no-one's stopping you....!
    Ian Hayto | Flugel | Enderby Band

why don't we do it on here? Can i start it off with...www.granitecitybrass.co.uk cheers!

Lewis

I love looking at other bands' websites, and often do so after reading an article on here. The standard and content is wide and varied, and I enjoy seeing what everyone's doing.
    I'll just sneak in here and plug Fodens new youth website...
    Enjoy!
    http://youth.fodensband.co.uk/
    Fiona Rolfe

tMP Friend in Training
    I will also look at these sites as it will say alot about how a band is running for the public support they dearly need to survive.

www.pencoedconcertbrass.webs.com

Philip Loveday
    Solo Euphonium
    Pencoed Concert Brass
    Bass Trombone
    Tylorstown Band

You are welcome to take a look at ours. Unfortunately it's done on a 'design template', so can't have all the whistles and bells that some have. I'd love to be able to put videos and sound on, but can't.

www.watchettownband.co.uk
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

tMP Friend in Training
    All I require from a band website that it is up to date. There are a few that I have seen with their engagement list giving jobs for 2008. And that the vacancies page matches the current player list. If a band has a euphonium vacancy advertised and there is a name in the player list, then is there still a vacancy or not?

tMP Friend in Training
    I would agree with that, it can be quite time consuming to keep a site up to date but I would expect every band has something news worthy at least once a month to report if nothing else. Just picking up on Granite City Brass put forward at the start of this thread, having a quick look at the site overall it's a great site but have the band done nothing worth reporting since July?

In response to Rapier, I don't think whistle and bells are necessarily required, good up to date information is what people are after, in my opinion.

Feel free to make comment on ours... http://www.lannerband.co.uk

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    You are welcome to take a look at ours. Unfortunately it's done on a 'design template', so can't have all the whistles and bells that some have. I'd love to be able to put videos and sound on, but can't.

www.watchettownband.co.uk
    Hi Rapier,

I suggest you try this one : www.webs.com

Very good , free and live updates.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Owen View Post
    All I require from a band website that it is up to date. There are a few that I have seen with their engagement list giving jobs for 2008. And that the vacancies page matches the current player list. If a band has a euphonium vacancy advertised and there is a name in the player list, then is there still a vacancy or not?
    I do believe you are on about our site, if not I apologise.

We are a Concert Brass Band and therefore there is no limitaions on the number of Euphs, Horns, troms etc., etc. Size is not the issue, it is for the enjoyment of not contesting and just to make music...

We pay for the domain name and hosting for two years in advance so we'll stick with it. Thanks for the information though
    Last edited by Rapier; 09.10.2010 at 15:12.
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bass2bone View Post
    I do believe you are on about our site, if not I apologise.

We are a Concert Brass Band and therefore there is no limitaions on the number of Euphs, Horns, troms etc., etc. Size is not the issue, it is for the enjoyment of not contesting and just to make music...

I wasn't meaning your site, but no need to apologise. There are a couple in the Midlands that I was referring to, but I am sure there are many more around the country.

I would think that if a band decides to have a website then someone needs to be responsible for ensuring the information is up-to-date, even if it is just updating the most important information - current vacancies and contact details; I have phoned numbers before and been told "oh I'm not with that band anymore".

I'm responsible for updating our band site - www.corbysilverband.com

I put the date of when it was last updated on the home page, so visitors to the site will know it is all relevant and up to date. Even if there are no changes to be made regarding vacancies or news, it takes 30 seconds to make people aware that the content is still current.

Amanda
    1st Baritone - Corby Silver Band
    1st Baritone - Boobs & Brass

tMP Friend in Training
    I'd like to blow my own trumpet (well cornet actually!) with this offerring

www.ashbournetownband.co.uk

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Owen View Post
    It can happen at times that a vacancy will be advertised when the webmaster is on holiday or unavailable for some reason so it may be a few days before the website is updated with the vacancy. I know that has occured recently on one website.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast