Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Finals Pieces Announced

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    Am really hoping the organ part has been shelved from Psalms and Alleluiahs, or is the 2nd section moving to Ripon Cathedral (which admittedly would be way better than the toilet that is Harrogate conference centre) ..... and maybe they've extended it seeing as it comes in at less than 10 minutes long on the recordings???
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

tMP Senior Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora771 View Post
    Source? I feel slightly disappointed. These bands will be competing in the 2nd Section in 2011, surely the original version of Willow Pattern would give the bands a good sense of what is required.
    even the simplified version is going to sound like cats in the abbatoir

Quote Originally Posted by Super Ph View Post
    Encouraging comments like this from fellow brass players just warms my heart.
    Never B flat, sometimes B sharp... but always B natural ;)

I was willing to conclude that reaction to your "tinpot" comment was a little ott.. Now I'm beginning to conclude that you're a bit of a prat....

tMP Prime Friend Laserbeam bass's Avatar
    At least if the 2nd section piece is only 10 minutes long, we can all sample the delights of The Old Bell sooner rather than later
    Nothing to see

Why have you got cats in your abbatoir? I know the recession has been bad but surely you should stick to the usual cows, sheep, and pigs?
    You should go on 'come dine with me'.
    HUW
    Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by QAD View Post
    Why have you got cats in your abbatoir? I know the recession has been bad but surely you should stick to the usual cows, sheep, and pigs?
    You should go on 'come dine with me'.
    I assumed he meant the ALW musical being performed at the Old Abbatoir in Clerkenwell. Though which part of the piece inspired that connection is beyond me.
    Trombonist

So I was listening to the Black Dyke recording of Willow Pattern and following the Solo Cornet part available on JustMusic (http://www.justmusicuk.com/spweb/ima...%20Pattern.pdf) The only difference I can tell from the solo cornet part is there has been a little section cut out near 'W'. Unless I followed it wrong.

played Diversions on a bass theme a while ago with Northumbria Police (conducted by Roy Curran) at Edinburgh in those halycon days on rep.
    moved to solo horn with WACB for regionals and think that the ppp part of diversions between bars 354 to 380 look pretty scary.intervals are horrendous at that speed
    should be a good test though for all competing bands
    time to get the basses home for practice...................... it wont JUST HAPPEN in the band room

Quote Originally Posted by ringa View Post
    think that the ppp part of diversions between bars 354 to 380 look pretty scary.intervals are horrendous at that speed
    So impressive when it's done right! It's a good workout for cornets, troms and basses! (I played the baritone part recently, the last page certainly helped building stamina!)

Out of interest, what are the approximate time lengths of the pieces for sections 2>4? The Ellerby is about 11 mins (10:45 mins according to a friend) and Diversions plays for just over 11:20 mins.
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    Out of interest, what are the approximate time lengths of the pieces for sections 2>4? The Ellerby is about 11 mins (10:45 mins according to a friend) and Diversions plays for just over 11:20 mins.
    The Black Dyke recording of Willow Pattern is roughly 14.30 mins. Perhaps this is why some bits have been cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora771 View Post
    The Black Dyke recording of Willow Pattern is roughly 14.30 mins. Perhaps this is why some bits have been cut?
    I'm only curious ... top section choice seems very short and I thought there might be a pattern here?
    It's not how you play ... it's the way how you play it!

tMP Banding Boffin Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, tMP Saddo Award 2007, tMP Best Picture Award 2008

My Public Domain Arrangements

tMP Friend in Training garsop_2000's Avatar

Ref : Nationals testpieces 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBale View Post
    For anyone who is interested, the Royal Marines have recorded the wind band version of "Terra Australis", available here:

http://ukcd.net/details.asp?ref=1819

I have just listened 3 times now to Terra Australis by Martin Ellerby on CD played the old YBS band conducted by Prof. David King, it's nice though with respect to the composer it aint a "crowd milker" at the end like some of the other bigger crowd pleasers & finishers.

It has this part in the middle of the tune "waltzing matilda" on Euph Solo with what I assume is a delicate Sop wiggly part accomp, again repeating the "Once a jolly swagman Camped by a billabong" coming & going throughtout...

The ending is full of fury violent passion & rage of unrestrained energy & speed, it has that final bar moment like Derek Bourgeois Concerto no.1 for band The War March of the Ostriches.....

Other testpieces have come & gone never to be repeated at a contest stage, Terra Australis might be another (hope not though as Martin Ellerby's music I find is quite good).

tMP Friend in Training garsop_2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brassneck View Post
    I have Terra Australis coming in just at the 11 min mark without the applause (at the end),... though don't you know this will differ with all bands on the day especially the slower movement of "Waltzing Matilda".....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast