Thread: Anyone tried the new Geneva horn?

Anyone tried the new Geneva horn?

Has anyone tried the new Geneva tenor horn yet? And what did you think? Tuning, values, sound, ease of blowing...

I had a quick go on one at a trade stand and I must admit I did find it very free blowing with good intonation and a nice warm sound. But I guess 10mins at a trade stand is not the best test, so I'm going to go up to the factory after the Areas to try a few out - but I would be interested if anyone else has tried one/bought one recently and can compare it to one of the other leading horn makes out there.

I know Scott Bennett (Faireys) is playing one (helped design it perhaps??) and was really pleased with it, but does anyone know any other top players that play one or considering one yet?

I'm blowing a Wilson at the moment and really like it's sound, bore size and general feel of it, but there are some tuning issues on this early model (not sure if the newer models are better?), so i'm tempted to splash out on something new if it really is better.

Simon
    Simon
    simon@brassbander.com

tMP Newbie
    hi,
    I play 1st horn at hade edge band and have recently purchased the new geneva signature horn, as you say the demo model was very easy to play with a lovely sound whereas my horn does not have this same sound quality especially from E's up to G's. this may just be a fault with my instrument and is soon to be checked out.
    but apart from that i love the instrument, the valves are slick and it has to be the best looking tenor horn ever made. especially with 24 carrat gold valve tops and bottoms. It is still easy to play despite sound issue with mine, but because of the lifetime garuntee anything that goes wrong through no fault of your own it get fixed by them which is a major bonus.
    hope this has been helpful

Worth giving the Yamaha Neo a go though.
    Blow in the little end. Noise comes out the Big end.
    Simples !

Better to be a Has Been, than a Never Was!

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Worth giving the Yamaha Neo a go though.
    I have not tried the Geneva but bought a Neo about six weeks ago.
    The valves are soo well engineered (tight tolerances-me bein an engineerin buff) and slick (best ever played), very easy to blow and the sound is great, but not quite as dark/rich as my old round stamp sov!
    The top G is a touch sharp, but I have been practising with the tuner and am getting that sorted now.
    On the whole i love the instrument and would recommend it with out hesitation.
    I got mine from Band Supplies in Leeds and I must say their customer service was second to none!

Hope this helps
    Pete
    Pete Watson (Will Smith looka like)
    2nd Horn
    Hammonds Saltaire

"If at first you dont succeed... Sky Diving is not for you! " .... Andrew Joy