Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: North of England Regional Championships - 2010

tMP Friend in Training
    whoops there their

tMP Senior Friend
    Huddersfield (term time), Harrogate (holidays)
    1st section results a joke. How a band can get best percussion when the percussion have nothing to do except about 4 notes in the last movement and they missed the last note is beyond me. Next year have a piece that doesn't rely on the adjudicators interpretation to differentiate between first and last.

A band can get best percussion because there is a best percussion prize? Therefore, someone has to win it. Maybe they played the 4 notes in the last movement better than anyone else?

How are the results a joke?
    Sam

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blue juice View Post
    1st section results a joke. How a band can get best percussion when the percussion have nothing to do except about 4 notes in the last movement and they missed the last note is beyond me. Next year have a piece that doesn't rely on the adjudicators interpretation to differentiate between first and last.
    Yes Lets do away with the "CONTEST".All bands bring a piece of string.The band with the longest piece wins. Power to the impartial tape measure, and when we don,t win then we can all go home and complain about, metric or imperial units , who,s job it was to hold the tape, they seemed to be pulling the string,it rained and my string shrank, another band cut my string.

tMP Prime Friend michellegarbutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkie19 View Post
    A band can get best percussion because there is a best percussion prize? Therefore, someone has to win it. Maybe they played the 4 notes in the last movement better than anyone else?

How are the results a joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yes Lets do away with the "CONTEST".All bands bring a piece of string.The band with the longest piece wins. Power to the impartial tape measure, and when we don,t win then we can all go home and complain about, metric or imperial units , who,s job it was to hold the tape, they seemed to be pulling the string,it rained and my string shrank, another band cut my string.
    TMP CHIEF CAKE MAKER
    Tuned Percussion
    Murton Colliery Band

www.murtoncollieryband.com

www.kellysdoggybandanas.moonfruit.com

tMP Prime Friend michellegarbutt's Avatar
    Well said. We played our best yesterday under very difficult circumstances. We didn't get a place. We din't win any of the individual prizes but we're not complaining. Someone had to win that percussion prize. Although we would have liked it, well done to the 2 young gentlemen that did win it.

Incidentally I would like to thank the committee and all of the other bands in the 1st section who were so understanding to us yesterday. For those who aren't aware We had just completed the section meeting and were walking out of the control room when I got a text through to say our only Bb bass player Stan had been taken ill in practice and could we borrow a player as an emergency. Although the meeting had finished and it was officially too late for such a request, they immediately pulled all reps back into the control room, put the request to them and it was unanimous that we could borrow.

Luckily Stan did pull round and although not 100% managed to make it onto the stand and play so the player we had arranged to borrow from Barton wasn't needed, but we are extremely grateful to all who rallied round to help us compete.
    Last edited by Roger Thorne; 21.03.2010 at 08:36. Reason: section info - changed
    TMP CHIEF CAKE MAKER
    Tuned Percussion
    Murton Colliery Band

www.murtoncollieryband.com

www.kellysdoggybandanas.moonfruit.com

tMP Friend in Training General Melchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue juice View Post
    Tally bally hoooo
    Ginge and I were at the Dolphin yesterday and I think you must have been hit by a Jerry bullet blue juice
    The results werent a joke and Barton directed by that 'Young' Dick Evans deserved their win plus the prizes, regardless of how many notes they played they won the percussion prize, also well done to that handsome lot from Ashington directed by that devilshly dashing Steve Malcolm, busy man of late,
    Ginge and I detect some 'sour' grapes ...is it because you lot were unplaced..get a grip thats contesting....
    If you require something to moan about come and clean out Private Baldricks underpants!!!!
    Baiinnnnnnnnnn

tMP Friend in Training theflyingscot's Avatar
    Live updates from Darlington, go to www.noebbc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by General Melchett View Post
    also well done to that handsome lot from Ashington directed by that devilshly dashing Steve Malcolm, busy man of late
    Which ones are the handsome ones? I obviously can't see them from where I sit!
    Choose band. Choose bars. Choose more bars. Choose visiting all those bars in one night and waking up next to a complete stranger. Choose TMP. Choose a name. Choose staying up all night talking to random people. Choose to increase your alcohol tolerance.

Choose your future. Choose band life.

tMP Friend

1st Section Champions!!

Hurrah!!

Well done to all at Barton! Brilliant result. Good luck at the finals and in the top section. Whoop whoop. Come on!

Sue Grau
    Foss Dyke

tMP Friend in Training
    Well done to all the prize winners in sections 1 and 2, especially to the guys and gals from Wansbeck's Ashington - Great result! Well done to our Sop, Laurence Peart for winning the best Sop prize (albeit with another band).
    John,
    Northumbrian Water Ellington Colliery Band

tMP Newbie
    Well done to all in Catterick Brass, it was a good result for our first contest, looking forward now to Harrogate.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by six pints View Post
    Which ones are the handsome ones? I obviously can't see them from where I sit!
    BECAUSE THEY ARE BEHIND YOU. Dick, Damien ,Nigel, Ged and Richard.
    All have performed on Radio version of the "Chippendales"

Fourth Section:
    Sunday, March 21st

Draw: 8.30am
    Commences: 9.30am.
    Adjudicator: John Berryman

Result:
    1. Stape Silver (M. Breckon), 10*
    2. NASUWT Riverside Concert (J. Bell), 4*
    3. Backworth Colliery (D. Beckley), 2
    4. East Riding of Yorkshire (P. Andrews), 5
    5. Trimdon Concert (P.Ash), 9