Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conducting Dilemma

Conducting Dilemma

Here's a question for you (particularly conductors):-

If you were conducting two bands at the same contest in the same section on the same test piece would you put the same interpretation on the piece with both bands?
    Matt
    Musical Director of Brighton & Hove City Brass

tMP Friend for Life Anno Draconis's Avatar
    Yes, no question.
    Andrew Baker

Somewhere between the gutter and the stars
    erm...

Depends on the standard of the 2 bands I think. The better the band, the more you can do what you want with them. A poorer band might limit what you can do with them and you may alter your strategy to give yourself the best chance of getting as high up as possible.

The above answer is from the sportsman's point of view. A musician would probably answer as Andy has above.....

I would have thought that a conductor would want to make the best performance possible by his players. So he may be able to 'fine tune' a test piece to suit the strengths and weaknesses of the 2 bands.
    This would all be dependent on those strengths and weaknesses obviously.

No, ideally a conductor should want to give their best possible realisation of the composer's intentions, and if that wins the contest, then fine and dandy.

Mind you maybe that's why I've never won any as a conductor.

Contesting - art or sport? We've been down that road many times before...
    Andrew Baker

It would be actually impossible to put the "same interpretations" on two performances by two different bands. Yes you could get close, but there would have to be differences. You may think they were the same, but they wouldn't be.

Whenever I have heard this scenario, both bands have actually produced quite markedly different readings, for all the reasons stated by the above contributors.

I find it difficult to get two performances the same out of the same band, let alone two different bands Try doing different takes on a recording session then wait for the producer to tell you that the take for an edit is at a slightly different speed from the main run through

good luck tho, You are, in my opinion, very brave, and I hope any cans of worms reading, stay firmly in their cans
    “Do or do not... there is no try"

Quote Originally Posted by yoda View Post
    It would be actually impossible to put the "same interpretations" on two performances by two different bands. Yes you could get close, but there would have to be differences. You may think they were the same, but they wouldn't be.
    You're quite right, of course, no two performances are ever quite the same, but the intention should be that they are, in an ideal world. The OP asked about interpretations, not performances. You can conduct the same score five times without changing your interpretation and get five different performances from the band.
    Andrew Baker

Of course, you are correct indeed and I would agree with you that the intention should be the same.

I too, first and foremost aim to put my interpretation of the composers wishes, out into the ether. I have been fortunate and lucky enough have won a few contests in my time (and lost more that I have won), but I agree that a satisfying performance is always better than trying to second guess what you think an adjudicator might like, and adjusting your reading to that.
    “Do or do not... there is no try"

What a good question.
    My opinion would be to get the best performance from each band which suits the strengths of each band individually. What works with one may not work with the other.
    I must admit this it is something I have come across on a regular basis. Each band will react differently and therefore as a conductor you have to work with the bands strengths.
    If one band can play well at tempo and the other one struggles but can play slightly slower with accuracy so be it.

As adjudicators keep telling us Tempi's are not set in stone.

Well that's my ten penneth worth.
    David W Ashworth.
    Musical Director. Conductor, Band Trainer and Adjudicator.
    www.boarshurstband.com
    www.david-ashworth.co.uk
    www.FANFARENORTH.COM
    david.w.ashworth@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
    What a good question.
    My opinion would be to get the best performance from each band which suits the strengths of each band individually. What works with one may not work with the other.
    I must admit this it is something I have come across on a regular basis. Each band will react differently and therefore as a conductor you have to work with the bands strengths.
    If one band can play well at tempo and the other one struggles but can play slightly slower with accuracy so be it.

As adjudicators keep telling us Tempi's are not set in stone.

Well that's my ten penneth worth.

See? someone agrees with me

nail - head Mr. Ashworth!

I'm also with Mr. Ashworth here.

In fact, I rarely set out to prepare a test piece with a fixed idea of the interpretation in my head. In my experience the interpretation "evolves" during the preparation period, partially based on trial and error, and partially, as others have said, depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the band. Therefore it would follow, to my mind at least, that in the case proposed by the OP, the two performances would inevitably evolve differently. Any attempt to force one to match the other would be asking for trouble, in my view.
    Gareth J. Green
    MD The Egham Band

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." [Attr. Albert Einstein (1879-1955)]
    ... which, logically, must make conducting a form of insanity.

tMP Friend
    I have only ever done it once - and don't intend to do it again - as luck would have it we drew consecutively (2 and 3) out of 22 bands. One band was much better than the other and I was able to conduct it exactly as I wanted to with the better band. I had to make allowances in tempo for the lack of technique of the weaker.

Jeremy

tMP Friend
    I have to concur with Mr. Ashworth, have the same basic ideas but you must play to the strengths of the individuals you have in front of you.
    Never easy through, good luck
    James
    Musical Director Besses Boys Band www.bessesboysband.com
    Musical Director Stockport Schools Senior Brass Band www.ssbb.org

There's also another consideration, which can be of course caused in part by different strengths and weaknesses amongst the player/s. There's always more than one way to skin a cat, i.e. there should always be room for more than one interpretation. Whether those interpretations are 'right' depends on the indivdual's personal preference in the case or either a listener or adjudicator.

Commenting on an award winning recording of Mozart symphonies with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Sir Charles Mackerras stated that he always liked to conduct from the score of pieces he's conducted for decades because he was always finding new 'insights' in them. Also, the composer's intentions could change over a period of time as his/her musical experiences widen (or narrow? ).

In the case of interpretations, whilst they of course ARE governed by player abilities, particularly with an amateur ensemble, that choice is down to the conductor.

I bet you're wishing you had never asked that question.... Either way, good luck!
    Dave Payn
    Conductor, Arran Brass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast