Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Regionals 2010 : Fourth Section Test Piece - Saint-SaŽns Variations

tMP Friend in Training b-flatcharlie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphalogy View Post
    Adjudicators have been, and most still are, players of the highest quality who understand what can and cant be achieved in the lower sections, and this is exactly what makes Saint Saens Variations an excellent choice. Whatever the results, whatever the region, players can only improve with the experience of the harmonies and rythmic challenges that the piece sets.
    Excellent music.

Genuinely I couldnít agree more. Thank you for your valid contribution.
    Charlie Doumani

www.silsdentownband.silsden.net/about/STB_about-info.htm
    One thing is always clear.... - Charlie Doumani

...believe in faith my friends - Timofei Dokshizer

tMP Senior Friend
    Qualification rules for Harrogate finals.
    Qualification to the Finals
    i) In respect of sections 1 – 4, qualification for an invitation will depend on the number
    of bands entered in the sections at the Regional Championships.
    Up to 16 bands entered ……………………………….. 2 bands qualify
    17 to 24 bands entered ……………………………….. 3 bands qualify
    25 bands and over entered ……………………………. 4 bands qualify

From Kapitol Promotions contest rules.
    The views stated are my own and have no connection with the Band I am a member of

There's not much chat about the Saint Saens Variations on here - is everyone too busy practising it to talk about it or just bored with it already??? I love it so much I am doing 5 rehearsals and a performance of it this week - those who know me will say I need the practice!!

Any other trombone players finding the intonation tricky from 434 to 475 or is it just me and my intense dislike of accidentals?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliebone View Post
    Any other trombone players finding the intonation tricky from 434 to 475 or is it just me and my intense dislike of accidentals?
    Is that the same bit where the tuba's are higher than the euph's???

I think this piece is good but there is a couple of moments where it feels like i'm playing the wind band part!
    Andy Griffiths

Solo Euph - Jayess Newbiggin Band

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Euph View Post
    Is that the same bit where the tuba's are higher than the euph's???

I think this piece is good but there is a couple of moments where it feels like i'm playing the wind band part!
    Sorry - no idea. I haven't got to the stage where I can listen to what's going on at the other side of the bandroom
    I agree that the scoring and writing style is not typical of a 4th section test piece. But surely that's a good thing? Some definitely orchestral moments for me

Sorry - no idea. I haven't got to the stage where I can listen to what's going on at the other side of the bandroom
    I agree that the scoring and writing style is not typical of a 4th section test piece. But surely that's a good thing? Some definitely orchestral moments for me
    I think it might be one of those moments where the troms are deafening me

I'm not too sure about some of the scoring if i'm totally honest....sounds like a cut and paste sibelius job...but that said Mr Sparke obviously knows what he wants it to sound like and he's one of the best band writers around and i'm not...so doesn't really matter.

As for the whole thing about the judges not expecting to hear a good performance... well thats all well and good as long as we don't have to sit through another lecture on how c**p 4th section bands are, after lots of bands putting in a lot of effort and giving committed performances.
    Andy Griffiths

I think it might be one of those moments where the troms are deafening me .
    Sorry, mate - I thought that was what us trombones are there for!

As for the whole thing about the judges not expecting to hear a good performance... well thats all well and good as long as we don't have to sit through another lecture on how c**p 4th section bands are, after lots of bands putting in a lot of effort and giving committed performances.
    Let's just try and exceed their expectations eh?

tMP Friend in Training Backrowmike's Avatar
    Why shouldn’t bands make a success of Saint Saens Variations? It has long flowing phrases, good harmonies and rhythms. Adjudicators will bear in mind that in the 4th Section, many bands are made up of a variety of players, some at the start and some at the end of their playing lives. However, all will undoubtedly play to the best of their individual technique and talent. Having recently returned to playing, I am this year playing in the 4th Section for the first time. The band I am playing with is approaching this test piece with musicality and enthusiasm. I am sure the other bands are approaching this contest to highlight their strengths and not their weaknesses. Let’s not talk down the 4th Section but celebrate the success bands are making of this test piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Backrowmike View Post
    Letís not talk down the 4th Section but celebrate the success bands are making of this test piece.

I couldn't agree more. Not many of us start at higher levels - and some never play at higher levels. This is music-making which is accessible to almost everyone and long may it continue.

Let's just try and exceed their expectations eh?
    I totally agree...I was just trying to make a point that no matter how well we'll play the judging will still be close minded....you should have heard David Read at Preston last week.

I think there will be a lot of very good performances of this piece....hopefully my band will be one of them
    Andy Griffiths

tMP Friend in Training b-flatcharlie's Avatar
    Good common wisdom has prevailed ladies and gents.

tMP Newbie

Angry

[Any other trombone players finding the intonation tricky from 434 to 475 or is it just me and my intense dislike of accidentals?[/quote]

I'm with you all the way there and writing in positions seems to make it even more confusing

tMP Senior Friend
    why is it always more difficult to read and play alternative accidentals such as
    A sharp-B flat. G sharp- A flat D sharp-E flat G flat-F sharp D flat- C sharp etc. etc.
    430 to 475 therefore now becomes very difficult to read and worse to play.
    The views stated are my own and have no connection with the Band I am a member of

Quote Originally Posted by GUTBUCKET View Post
    [Any other trombone players finding the intonation tricky from 434 to 475 or is it just me and my intense dislike of accidentals?
    I'm with you all the way there and writing in positions seems to make it even more confusing[/quote]

Thanks - you make me feel less of a numpty!

tMP Friend in Training Tubamutha's Avatar
    [quote=E flat fred;730430]Will they be providing portable oxygen masks for the Bass players for the last three lines.
    There is no way on Gods little earth that Bass players can play ALL the music on the last three lines.]

HAHAHA...... I couldn't agree more....... the other killer is the really BIG bit on the penultimate page (cannot remember bar numbers but it's the bit where the basses/euphs/troms are supposed to blow everyones socks off). Quite worrying really as I always start to see stars after two bars of that section - it's very exciting but I have to make a conscious effort not to pass out - AND what's worse is I thought there would be some support from Bb basses but they are not playing there..... bah humbug.

I think this is a fantastic piece though.....
    Q: How many tuba players does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Three: one to hold the bulb and two to drink until the room spins

What do you call a cat that has swallowed a duck? A duck filled fatty puss!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast