Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Regionals 2010 : Fourth Section Test Piece - Saint-SaŽns Variations

tMP Senior Friend
    reply to Mr Frontman,
    Perhaps if you have ever listened to B flat's band you will inderstand his comments.

let's discuss the test piece, instead of fighting out personal rivalries

tMP Senior Friend
    With ref. to my last posting. I was in no way critising B flat's band even though some readers appear to have thought so.
    I was referring to the statement made by B flat and Mr Frontman.
    This posting was I.M.O.H. my own statement and has no connection with the band in which I play.

I personally think it's a great piece and am thoroughly enjoying rehearsing and playing it. I have always found Philip Sparke's pieces very musical and well written. As anyone with any real banding experience will know, there is no way you can make any accurate comment on a test piece after the first run through. OK, you may not like it at first but the more you play it, the more you see in it and the majority of test pieces do grow on you.

Mr Bb, please can I ask you once again to remove your signature from your posts as your view is not the view of Nelson Band and only your own personal opinion - thank you.

tMP Friend in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Norman View Post
    We are talking about a Fourth Section Test Piece - As far as I can see Purcell Variations hasn't made it down that far yet....
    From listening to the Saint-Saens and looking at the score I think it's going to be good to play and useful as a Concert item too.
    Looking forward to a blow through next week.
    Your quite correct.. Purcell was (at least when i played it) a 2nd section piece. I was just using it to highlight what i like in a test piece, yes i did win several times on it, but that doesn't detract that it is great to play and beautiful listen to. Defiantly one of my very favourites, i'm getting that chill down my neck just thinking about it

tMP Friend in Training wagger-g's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
    I am very pleased with this choice of piece for the 4th section. At least band will have something strong enough to get there teeth into as well as difficult enough to make it a very interesting competition.

Congratulations to the Music Panel for an excellent choice.
    I entirely agree with David - this is a superb piece and wholly suitable as a 4th section test.

I have now rehearsed bands on the testpieces for section 2, 3 & 4 and for me this is the one I would prefer to work on. As for repetition this is only at the superficial level - or should I say at the level of an individual part. The piece develops, so while an individual contribution may look similar it is adding to a different ensemble.

I think bands will find it hard not to enjoy this one, unless of course you have MrBb in your ranks - all that wasted education!

tMP Newbie

Exclamation

Mr Bb says "I have won several times with this piece " Fancy that, you learn something new every day, all these years and I never realised that Purcell Variations was a cornet solo, I was under the impression that it was scored for a whole band. As to the Sparke/ Saint Saens combination, lets see how many "Organ "simulations we hear, instead of a piece which lets the prima-donnas demonstrate to the rest of the ensemble (only 96%) how very clever they are,

tMP Friend
    Love it, brings out a bands musicality. Speaking to other members at Barnton they all like it too.

W.Yorks where men are men and sheep are nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBb View Post
    Your quite correct.. Purcell was (at least when i played it) a 2nd section piece. I was just using it to highlight what i like in a test piece, yes i did win several times on it, but that doesn't detract that it is great to play and beautiful listen to. Defiantly one of my very favourites, i'm getting that chill down my neck just thinking about it
    I take it that you are refering to your time on the 2nd cornet at Goodshaw with Alan Widdop when your Dad was on 3rd. I seem to remember you playing with us for a short time whilst Alan was there. But I dont remember you ever playing with Oldham Brass.

Still back to topic, I also agree with David, a damn fine piece of music.

We haven't played it yet! Love the Cory recording though and really looking forward to getting stuck in. It sounds like the trombones have lots of good themes from the original symphony which suits those of us who are orchestral refugees!

Quote Originally Posted by Elliebone View Post
    We haven't played it yet! Love the Cory recording though and really looking forward to getting stuck in. It sounds like the trombones have lots of good themes from the original symphony which suits those of us who are orchestral refugees!
    Just listened to the recording and love it
    Gosport Solent Brass - Solo Cornet :)

I`m not playing it but have heard the recording and thought it was a beautiful piece of music. Our newly formed Band, Verwood B, begins its Contesting career in the West of England Areas which is why I have a particular interest. Actually our MD is signing for Verwood B (he is solo Euph with Jag Coventry at the moment) because this is such a good piece...

Looking forward to this years North West Area this year after being told that there are 24 bands entered in the 4th section.

Very Interesting.
    David W Ashworth.
    Musical Director. Conductor, Band Trainer and Adjudicator.
    www.boarshurstband.com
    www.david-ashworth.co.uk
    www.FANFARENORTH.COM
    david.w.ashworth@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elliebone View Post
    We haven't played it yet! Love the Cory recording though and really looking forward to getting stuck in.
    Some decent playing on the recording but it smacks of what it probably is, sightreading tazzfest. Some of the tempos seem to be out and there are some effects that aren't in the score.

We've been blowing through the piece the last couple of weeks and i'm starting to like it...its going to make for a very interesting contest in Blackpool, bring it on!
    Andy Griffiths

Solo Euph - Jayess Newbiggin Band

tMP Friend in Training
    Mr Bb
    As a founder member of Oldham Brass 97, I have to say that I don't recall you either. Could you clarify when you played for them.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast