Thread: Lower Sections Promotion?

Lower Sections Promotion?

So of the winning bands this weekend did any receive an automatic promotion to the their respective higher sections?

1st to Champs - Tongwynlais Temperance
    2nd to 1st - City of Cardiff (Melingriffith
    3rd to 2nd - Brunel Brass
    4th to 3rd - St. Breward Silver,

or were these bands already promoted for next year through the area results?
    Mr Francis Hargate
    EEb Bass - Dronfield Genquip Band
    www.dronfieldband.co.uk

tMP Senior Friend
    Brunel Brass has been promoted to 2nd Section by winning the finals. We were in line to be promoted to 2nd Section with a good result next year at the areas. So we are promoted effectively a year early. Only promoted from the 4th Section to 3rd this year.

tMP Newbie
    Congratulations to everyone at Brunel Brass. It was a fantastic weekend!

Public sector and proud!! DMBabe's Avatar
    I don't get this....... in Scotland when you qualify for Harrogate you automatically get promoted. You can appeal against promotion but it hardly ever works. Likewise with the appealing against relegation. Your entire contesting status is dicatated by a top 2 placing at one contest....... not that I agree with it.
    I'm the lyrical gangster! I'll use colourful vernacular and when neccessary engage in fisticuffs!!!
    5200 hits..... You're stalkers and you know you are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tubafran View Post
    So of the winning bands this weekend did any receive an automatic promotion to the their respective higher sections?

1st to Champs - Tongwynlais Temperance
    2nd to 1st - City of Cardiff (Melingriffith
    3rd to 2nd - Brunel Brass
    4th to 3rd - St. Breward Silver,

or were these bands already promoted for next year through the area results?
    As far as I can remember, City of Cardiff had already been promoted to the 1st section based on the 3 year aggregate, Point of Ayr were promoted after the Welsh area to the championship section based on the 3 year aggregate so Tongwynlais will now join them.
    Deano

tMP Friend in Training
    Oldham have been promoted to the 1st section as well. First year in 2nd section, won area, 2nd in the nationals and gone up!!

Quote Originally Posted by DMBabe View Post
    I don't get this....... in Scotland when you qualify for Harrogate you automatically get promoted. You can appeal against promotion but it hardly ever works. Likewise with the appealing against relegation. Your entire contesting status is dicatated by a top 2 placing at one contest....... not that I agree with it.
    Hi Dianne, I think that's because your gradings aren't taken over a 3 year average. So based on Dronfield 2007 - 2009 in 4th Section they had 2 years average + the 2nd this year but it wasnt enough to get them promoted. Had they secured the first position at Harrogate then there would have been an automatic promotion. See Brunel band above.
    Mr Francis Hargate
    EEb Bass - Dronfield Genquip Band
    www.dronfieldband.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by tubafran View Post
    Hi Dianne, I think that's because your gradings aren't taken over a 3 year average. So based on Dronfield 2007 - 2009 in 4th Section they had 2 years average + the 2nd this year but it wasnt enough to get them promoted. Had they secured the first position at Harrogate then there would have been an automatic promotion. See Brunel band above.
    True for promotions in Scotland [first two always go up, Appendix II(e) of the SBBA Rules], but not for relegations, where there is still averaging going on.

The SBBA rules can be found here.
    Composers, Publishers, Recording Artists - FREE PUBLICITY

Found an error in an SA-published piece? Send it to the Errata Project

Robert D. Schramm ~ tMP Moderator
    Webmaster, The Brass Crest
    Principal Baritone and Webmaster, National Capital Band

tMP Newbie
    Although this was their first year in Section 2, I can confirm that City of Cardiff had already won promotion to Section 1 as a result of winning the Welsh Area contest and the system of awarding average placings for previous years.........

tMP Friend in Training
    Phweee What a week for the West Of England!!!!
    Just arrived back from Harrogate. Congratulations to St Breward Silver in winning the 4th Section and congratulations to Brunel Brass in winining the 3rd section. I listened to both these bands on the weekend and i was left with little doubt that they would get in the prizes. Both these bands have a mix of young and old (sorry) which can only be good for the region in the future.
    I was lucky enough at the regionals to hear both these bands qualify so to hear them each play and win again was truely remarkable.
    In March 2007 I was in the hall to listen to Brunel's 1st contest and was so impressed I have kept an interesting eye on their meteroric rise ever since. Each time I listen to them the sounds just get richer and richer and they play with such maturity that defies their years. I have just read that they have an 80 strong youth set up which bodes well for the future .
    Here' hoping for their continued success. Well done Brunel Brass and St Brewards Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by maryellan View Post
    Phweee What a week for the West Of England!!!!
    Just arrived back from Harrogate.
    Did you walk it?

tMP Friend in Training
    Yes ,well done especially off the dreaded no1 draw you must have been even more pleased, as often this is the kiss of death. Unfortunatley i missed your performance , left the hall for a wee!! while straight after the results for the 3rd section. Did i walk it no but Brunel and St Brewards did though.